PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Ban on Drop-Side Cribs

bltman
03-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Tried searching the forum but have not seen people's thoughts on this anywhere: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-cribs_18mar18,0,1578820.story

Did I miss the topic on the forums or is it not posted yet.

Our last crib was a conversion clib and we converted it to a double. This time we went with a drop down. Now, the manufacturers are saying they are dangerous and plan to stop making them.

Thoughts?

Momof3Labs
03-18-2009, 05:44 PM
I love our drop-side crib (I am short) and it has never malfunctioned in 6.5 years of HEAVY use. We have to buy a second crib this year and I'm not sure which way we'll go. I did find it funny that the article mentioned the cribs with the fold-down side as an alternative to drop-sides, but those became unpopular years ago for pinching little fingers. I know, I know, better pinched fingers than a drop-side malfunction, but it's not a crib style that I want.

If we go with a second-hand crib, I'd probably lean mostly towards a stationary side but I'm open to buying a new, good quality drop-side crib again.

anng
03-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Well, I was trying to decide between a dropside and stationary because I am short. Guess that would settle that decision for me.

They just don't make them like they used to I think.

Coral
03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
We bought the drop-gate side. The newer versions have piano hinges on the baby side and there's no way to pinch little fingers.

vonfirmath
03-18-2009, 09:55 PM
We have a drop-side and don't use hte drop side (even though I am short). For the longest time, we thought the crib was defective because it didn't work out well. We found out our mattress was interfering. But it means we don't drop the side and I regret spending the money extra for the ability

jenny
03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
We have a babi italia drop side crib and it's AWESOME. It's really well made and the hinges are not made of plastic, like most cheap cribs.

It's sad that manufacturers are taking short cuts and not doing a good job in making sturdy cribs and drop side functions may be eliminated.

If I remember correctly, most of the recalls in the news have been because of loose crib slats, no?

bltman
03-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Looks like the JPMA has clarified the romors on this that have been floating around:

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-18-2009/0004991122&EDATE=

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J., March 18 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA), which represents the leading manufacturers of children's cribs in North America, would like to clarify some information regarding the possible revision to F1169, the voluntary ASTM standard for cribs.

Although drop side hardware rarely fails unless miss-assembled or misplaced upon re-assembly or with secondhand use, it has been proposed that an ASTM subcommittee charged with addressing crib issues consider revisions to the standard that would eliminate such functional drop sides, thereby reducing the need for hardware assemblies altogether.

Despite some misinformation circulating in the media, the ASTM Cribs Subcommittee has not officially accepted any proposals nor have any official actions been taken at this point to modify the standard...

Neatfreak
03-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Oh wow. I hadn't heard the news at all!

AnnieW625
03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
That's news to me. We'll be using an almost 59 year old crib for #2 (it was used by my dad in 1950, uncle in 55, me in 77, bro in 80, sis in 87, and DD in 06) and I love that crib, it's super sturdy and the measurements are almost identical to the current crib standards. The drop side is soo helpful and I can't believe that it would ever be banned, but things are definitely not made as well as they once were (or at least are harder to find) so maybe it will make sense. I can't believe that manufacturers would make a drop rail using plastic too.

DrSally
03-20-2009, 10:52 PM
We have a babi italia drop side crib and it's AWESOME. It's really well made and the hinges are not made of plastic, like most cheap cribs.

It's sad that manufacturers are taking short cuts and not doing a good job in making sturdy cribs and drop side functions may be eliminated.

If I remember correctly, most of the recalls in the news have been because of loose crib slats, no?

Our Delta crib had a recall after THREE years of use for the drop side at times falling off. They sent a repair, but I was not happy we'd been using it for 3 years with that potential danger.

MaddieBoo
03-23-2009, 09:58 AM
That's news to me. We'll be using an almost 59 year old crib for #2 (it was used by my dad in 1950, uncle in 55, me in 77, bro in 80, sis in 87, and DD in 06) and I love that crib, it's super sturdy and the measurements are almost identical to the current crib standards. The drop side is soo helpful and I can't believe that it would ever be banned, but things are definitely not made as well as they once were (or at least are harder to find) so maybe it will make sense. I can't believe that manufacturers would make a drop rail using plastic too.

You should not use any crib that was manufactured before 1978 as there is always lead in the paint. I work for the FDA and lead was used as a stabilizer in paints and stains until it was banned.

kusumat
03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I am not short, 5' 6. I still have difficult time putting DC in the crib with the lowest mattress level. I think it is more about product's quality than the function.

mimieliza
03-24-2009, 07:31 PM
We have a Bonavita drop side crib that has been awesome throughout 2.5 years of use (including two moves which involved taking it apart and re-assembling). Instead of banning drop side cribs, maybe they should just regulate the hardware. Our crib has metal hardware that is not exposed. I was surprised at how many drop side cribs - even high end ones - had plastic, exposed hardware.

anng
03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
We have a Bonavita drop side crib that has been awesome throughout 2.5 years of use (including two moves which involved taking it apart and re-assembling). Instead of banning drop side cribs, maybe they should just regulate the hardware. Our crib has metal hardware that is not exposed. I was surprised at how many drop side cribs - even high end ones - had plastic, exposed hardware.

Do you mind sharing which Bonavita dropside tht you have? We had looked at the Hudson, but I haven't been able to find any reviews on it. Thanks!!

TonFirst
03-24-2009, 11:43 PM
This is news to me. We've been using a Child Craft Legacy iron crib for nearly 4. consecutive years with no problems.

I don't think the problem is universal to dropside cribs. I think the problem is cribs that are resold with missing parts and people who don't take the time to make sure they're assembling a crib correctly. Plus, anyone who has crib shopped knows that the quality range in cribs is HUUUUUUUUUGE.

stefani
03-24-2009, 11:59 PM
I love my Legacy crib with drop side. DS had been in it for over 5 years and no problems. It is now passed down to his cousin.