PDA

View Full Version : Children's hand bells

jgenie
03-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Has anyone seen these handbells (http://www.grothmusic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-RB108.html?L+scstore+yhbv2330ffcdebcd+1237438939) IRL? TIA

o_mom
03-18-2009, 06:02 PM
I think those are what our church has. They worked well and seemed to be in tune. Anything specific you wanted to know?

trentsmom
03-18-2009, 06:21 PM
A group of mentally disabled adults came to our church and did a program playing those bells. It all sounded good to me, and I ring regular handbells.

jgenie
03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for a set that has wooden handles for my DS (14 months). He really enjoys music and I thought I would invest in a few good instruments he can use for a long time. Has anyone seen a cheaper set that might last a while?
TIA

trentsmom
03-18-2009, 11:25 PM
I've heard lots of good things about West Music (http://www.westmusic.com/default.aspx). Probably if you do a search on here for West Music, you'll get some great suggestions. Or you can just go to the site like I did and think that everything looks like a lot of fun!

MamaKath
03-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Has anyone seen these handbells (http://www.grothmusic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-RB108.html?L+scstore+yhbv2330ffcdebcd+1237438939) IRL? TIA
Yes, I have those as well as the ones with a push button (can be button played or rung). I would NOT get them for a child that young. The ball that rings against the metal is attached by a spring. It is very easy for a little child to damage. I use them for kids ages kindergarten and up. At that point they are old enough to explain how to care for bells (like only touching the handle/button not the metal, not playing with the springs, putting them away carefully, etc). I have owned and used them for many years and they are currently on loan to an elementary music program getting lots of use and going strong.

HTH~

jgenie
03-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Yes, I have those as well as the ones with a push button (can be button played or rung). I would NOT get them for a child that young. The ball that rings against the metal is attached by a spring. It is very easy for a little child to damage. I use them for kids ages kindergarten and up. At that point they are old enough to explain how to care for bells (like only touching the handle/button not the metal, not playing with the springs, putting them away carefully, etc). I have owned and used them for many years and they are currently on loan to an elementary music program getting lots of use and going strong.

HTH~

Thanks for the details - I'll add them to my "gifts for later" bookmarks. :) Any ideas for musical instruments for young kids?

MamaMolly
03-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Any ideas for musical instruments for young kids?

Maybe I can help? I teach in a music program for kiddos for ages birth - 5 and we have tambourines, shakers in different shapes with metal and plastic noise makers, triangles, maracas, rhythm sticks, shaker eggs, drums....for at home I've added whistles, a kazoo and a harmonica.

I agree West is a good place to start. IMO it is worth the $$ to get good quality instruments. IIRC last year there was a recall on shaker eggs from Oriental Trading where the eggs popped open and metal shards came out! So for DD I went to my local music store and picked up high quality shakers for between $5-$10.

Also, found items make GREAT instruments. Pots, pans, spoons, spatulas, any manner of kitchen gear, just pull it out, turn on some music and have your own little play-along jam for free!:)

MamaKath
03-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Maybe I can help? I teach in a music program for kiddos for ages birth - 5 and we have tambourines, shakers in different shapes with metal and plastic noise makers, triangles, maracas, rhythm sticks, shaker eggs, drums....for at home I've added whistles, a kazoo and a harmonica.

I agree West is a good place to start. IMO it is worth the $$ to get good quality instruments. IIRC last year there was a recall on shaker eggs from Oriental Trading where the eggs popped open and metal shards came out! So for DD I went to my local music store and picked up high quality shakers for between $5-$10.

Also, found items make GREAT instruments. Pots, pans, spoons, spatulas, any manner of kitchen gear, just pull it out, turn on some music and have your own little play-along jam for free!:)
:yeahthat: I also wanted to add that you and dc could make some instruments (especially if you are supervising use). Pringles cans and oatmeal cans are a good place to start.

As for store bought, this set is fantastic!!! http://www.target.com/Bee-Bop-Band-Music-Toy/dp/B000068E6D/sr=1-3/qid=1237684344/ref=sr_1_3/175-6596362-9587159?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&field-browse=1038590&rh=k%3Amusical%20instrument%20set&page=1 We love it and it has held up superbly. It is perfect for a toddler and the price is right. Beyond these, I would get decent instruments such as Molly suggested!

HTH~

jgenie
03-21-2009, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the list :) - I'll head over to West Music to see what I can find. I know they have the Remo drum that gets rave reviews here.

As for store bought, this set is fantastic!!! http://www.target.com/Bee-Bop-Band-Music-Toy/dp/B000068E6D/sr=1-3/qid=1237684344/ref=sr_1_3/175-6596362-9587159?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&field-browse=1038590&rh=k%3Amusical%20instrument%20set&page=1 We love it and it has held up superbly. It is perfect for a toddler and the price is right. Beyond these, I would get decent instruments such as Molly suggested!

HTH~

Thanks for the tip on this set - I want something for Easter and the this set shows as being in stock at several local Targets. :)