PDA

View Full Version : How important is a reversible seat?

bw52
03-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Is it worth the extra $200?

I'm considering getting the P3 or Pliko Switch. Without our baby here yet, I don't know how much she'll care, so I would really like others' thoughts on this. I love the idea of the reversible seat, but I guess I don't know if it's worth the extra $200. That's the only difference I see between those 2 strollers. Do most babies like to see mom? Or is it more of a mom wants to see baby type of thing?

TIA!

bubbaray
03-18-2009, 11:29 PM
My DD#2 hated (hates) most strollers and I think her not being able to see me was/is the reason. She was sick a lot in her first year and on some very powerful steroid drugs. I truly think she would have, in hindsight, benefited a LOT from a reversible stroller. I wasn't interested in a 2-part stroller (like the Bug), or a bassinette, or importing a stroller from Europe. If the Switch had been available when DD#2 was little, it seriously could have changed my life. I'm soooo not exaggerating about that!

poppy
03-19-2009, 12:44 AM
I like the reversible seat. We have an Uppababy. I felt our baby was more secure and happier when he was looking at me and was a lot less fussy. I also enjoy looking at the expressions on his face. I feel it's worth the extra money.

cecynavarro
03-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Are you going to have an infant carrier with a stroller? because with the infant carrier, the baby faces you. I think it's only important when the baby is really small so you can keep an eye on them, but I dont think its necessary once they are older.

MamaKath
03-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I found it tremendously important for my kids due to their personalities. I am not some who believes in travel systems (car seats are meant for cars, not hours strolling IMO) and so I had carriages that reversed for them. If the Switch had been out it would have been on my short list. I do believe it also helped their verbal skills a lot because we spent lots of time interacting face to face.

IDcam
03-20-2009, 08:00 AM
While DD seems to be ok facing out in our Chicco Cortina stroller, once she gets a glimse of our face she brightens up with a huge smile. That alone makes getting a parent-facing stroller worth it. I do agree that I pay more attention and talk more to her when she's facing me.

WatchingThemGrow
03-20-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't know anything really about the Switch, but... remember that the steering still needs to be excellent while you can see the baby. Otherwise, the baby is watching you scowl and grumble while pushing them.

We love our Cameleon's versatility and maneuverability. My DC LOVE it when we put one on the wheeled board facing the kid sitting in the reversible seat. Instant entertainment!

AnnieW625
03-20-2009, 02:22 PM
For me it's important because I never had a stroller that reversed with DD and I felt like I was missing out on that. I didn't buy a stroller frame because I had a used Peg Pliko and didn't think I needed a frame if I could look at my baby while walking and when she was young and sleeping reclined it was fine as I could see her through the window. We then got a Maclaren Triumph (got tired of the old Peg) and that was when I noticed I missed not being able to see DD, but didn't want to buy another full featured stroller. So for #2 I said that I wanted a nice stroller from the beginning. I settled for a Vista because I wasn't in love with anything else out there that switched (P3, Bug Bee, and couldn't find a Peg Uno) or could be a travel system.

WatchingThemGrow, thanks for the tip of keeping the stroller board facing the infant. On the Vista site they show it this way and I wasn't thinking it would work, but maybe it will afterall!

PeppyParents
03-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi,

There was a preliminary study recently reported about this by a Scottish researcher named Suzanne Zeedyk.

See http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/opinion/02zeedyk.html on what she found.

It may be convincing enough just to drop the extra bit of cash on the reversing seat!!!

tenspeedpdx
03-22-2009, 11:04 PM
My husband and I are sold on getting a stroller with a reversible seat for our one-and-only, due in May. I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list of stroller models with this feature. Better yet, it would be great to see a chart comparing price and compatible infant car seats, too. But I'm not picky! Just a list would do. It would be a BIG help!

Here are the models I know about thus far:

Maxi Cosi Foray
UppaBaby Vista
Peg Perego Pliko Switch
Quinny Buzz
Mia Moda Atmosferra

Are there any other strollers that I'm missing from this list?

Thanks!

-Kayt
Portland, OR

strollerqueen
03-23-2009, 04:01 AM
It is very important. It is also important that babies NOT be in car seats out of the car. It is far better for them to be lying flat in a bassinette, or at least a flat reclining seat. There are a lot of new studies out that prove the old wisdom of babies in prams (or their equivalents) is best.

MamaKath
03-23-2009, 07:23 PM

Thanks!

-Kayt
Portland, OR
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=309848&highlight=reversible
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=308442&highlight=reversible
These threads had quite a bit of information.

purpelina
03-23-2009, 07:25 PM
My husband and I are sold on getting a stroller with a reversible seat for our one-and-only, due in May. I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list of stroller models with this feature. Better yet, it would be great to see a chart comparing price and compatible infant car seats, too. But I'm not picky! Just a list would do. It would be a BIG help!

Maxi Cosi Foray
UppaBaby Vista
Peg Perego Pliko Switch
Quinny Buzz
Mia Moda Atmosferra

Thanks!

-Kayt
Portland, OR

I would add mutsy 4 rider or lite rider, they recline flat, and you don't necssarily need to buy the bassinet, can be used without it. There are occasional deals on ebay.

Kolcraft contours - cheaper alternative, many ppl are happy with it.

Also, I've seen a stroller VERY similar to Pliko switch on ebay, but it's called baby dreamer, and currently sells for $170. I've never seen it or tried it out IRL, but it looks OK. Maybe someone else has first hand experience with those?

There are options, and if you get a deal good enough, you can later resell the stroller and recoup most of your money. You might find that you need a different stroller after a year anyway, because your needs change, or your life changes, or you move to a dnew area. You don't have to buy a "last forever do everything for all my children" stroller right now. I mean, it would be a nice option, but on the other hand, you only have so much time to play with strollers, and there are so many nice models out there :)

IDcam
03-25-2009, 01:10 AM
The Mia Moda Atmosferra had a really short seat-back. I measured it at 15.5 inches and my 3 month DD, at the time, was almost at the top of the canopy.

The Pliko Switch was nice but we didn't like that it had two handles instead of one long handlebar. The fold was easy and very compact though.

I purchased a brand new 2007 Peg Perego Venezia (the model prior to the Uno) and after a few outings the wheels would wobble while strolling. It was a bit embarrassing. :loveeyes:

I returned the Atmosferra the next day and sold the Venezia after a few days. We just received our 2009 Vista over the weekend and should've just saved myself all the trouble by getting it in the first place.

Another stroller to consider is the Valco Rad. Try searching YouTube for some stroller demonstrations. Baby Gizmo does a great job reviewing the strollers you have listed.

Good luck!

doberbrat
03-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I think its HUGELY important. car seats are for cars - not good to keep baby in them longterm.

and dd refused to sit in a ff stroller till she turned 2.

plus, I actually LIKE seeing my baby and being able to smile at her, talk to her, coo at her etc.

marge234
03-25-2009, 09:39 PM

Maxi Cosi Foray
UppaBaby Vista
Peg Perego Pliko Switch
Quinny Buzz
Mia Moda Atmosferra

Thanks!

-Kayt
Portland, OR

It looks like you're missing the Bugaboos and the Orbit. And the Stokke Xplory. But there's a database of 56 of these kinds of strollers--many discontinued or not easily available in the USA--on strollerswap, a yahoo group.

lefarrell
03-26-2009, 11:28 PM
More research is suggesting rear facing is important. Here is a link to another article:
http://baby-products.suite101.com/article.cfm/forward_or_rear_facing_pushchair_or_pram

You can also do a search on Talk to Your Baby and find a full 35 page report on what life is like for a child in a stroller - fascinating!

Though rear facing was on my list of wants when stroller searching, I gave it up in compromising for other features. It turned out to be a mistake as my DS didn't like facing away, and I ended up buying a reversible stroller anyway. At almost 11 months, he is one of the happiest, most smiley, and pretty verbal babies I know (no bias on my part of course, but people do mention how much he smiles). The few times I have faced him forward now that he is older, he seems content, though I've never left him that way long enough to know if he would start complaining or get scared in unfamiliar situations and have his fear heightened by the fact he can't look at me for reassurance.

Another advantage of having a child rear facing is you have better control/awareness of how the elements are affecting them. I can't count how many times I've been out walking with cold wind, or dust blowing in my face, and being grateful that my DS wasn't getting a face full too. Plus I know if he's getting too much sun. As far as my little one being able to see the world, he can look out and observe our surroundings just as easily facing me as away, and this way I get to tell him what he is seeing!

It may seem like a lot of extra cash now, but you'll be happier in the long run, and your little one might be too!