PDA

View Full Version : Good news and bad news

elektra
03-19-2009, 04:04 PM
The good news is that neither DD or I have eaten out all week! I have made dinner and breakfast for us each day and then I have made my own lunch with whatever we've had whether it was leftovers or whatever (nanny usually does DD's lunch). DH did start the corned beef in the crockpot on Tuesday though so I do need to give him some credit. I have been making alot of effort to eat in more so it feels good.
However, the bad news is that I have also not left my house all week! The mailbox is as far as I have gotten. It is making me realize that the only times I leave my house during the week are to go grab takeout or fast-food type of lunches.
I really need to allow myself time to get out of the house more. This is one of the downsides of working from home for anyone who thinks that is the "perfect" work situation!

tamie
03-19-2009, 04:09 PM
I so know what you mean. I work from home too and if I don't get out sometime during the day (besides dropping or picking up the kiddo) I am in such a funk!

lorinick
03-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Do you work from home 5 days a week? I'm always running around. You soon will when dd 1 is in school. There is always activies, pratice play dates I go nuts. If you don't work everyday trying getting out to do something fun alone or with your dd during the day. Your just likely getting stir crazy. I feel like that when I don't get adult interaction.

belovedgandp
03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
I've been a SAHM since my son was born over 5 years ago. I'm definitely the kind that does not stay home. We go somewhere every day.

But your post made me laugh. DH worked from home for the last half of 2007. It was so weird to me to have him asking where we could go eat and what we could go do on weeknights. He kept wanting to talk to me during my precious 60 minutes of downtime when older son's school and younger son's nap overlapped. Then I realized he was going stir crazy being in the house so much. It was a real role reversal for the two of us.

Good luck getting out!

hillview
03-19-2009, 08:04 PM
I work from home. Many times a week I do not get out of the house. Looking forward to summer when DS stays up a little later and we play outside/eat outside. Today I went out to deal with the recycling and to take in the veg/fruit delivery. Yesterday I just drove DS to preschool. It is a major factor working from home.
/hillary

maylips
03-19-2009, 08:19 PM
ITA. I was just telling someone the other day how there are days I don't even go outside. It's so weird. But I've also found that if I go out just "for an errand," I end up spending 2 hours running around and not working. Got to figure out how to balance that out.

Fairy
03-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Ok, so it's not just me, then? I have been struggling to not eat out and to break this terrible cycle I'm in, but in doing so, I realize that i'm in the house constantly. UNLESS I'm going out to get fod (or go to preschool). My general habit is take DS to preschool, stop at Starbucks/McD's for b'fast, go home, have meetings, work, have meetings, work, go get DS, too tired/lazy to cook, pick up dinner on way home, eat, bedtime, night stuff. If I get out during that work time, then it's to go get lunch. And I should be cooking dinners more than eating dinners out, and I should be trying to eat lunch at home, etc. So, it's been strange realizing that getting out during the day has revolved around food. Trying to work out mid-day instead as a way to get out.

elektra
03-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Trying to work out mid-day instead as a way to get out.
Uh yah, this has been my goal for like 3 years. Hasn't ever happened!
I do work 5 days a week from home as someone asked and so I am not forced to leave. But I totally could go to a starbucks and work too. I think I may need to just do that a day or two a week.
And even when I go out to eat I ALWAYS bring it back home. I think I feel guilty about not being there to eat lunch with DD when I could. But hello, I think I should be allowed to spend my lunches without her once in awhile whether it's meeting DH for lunch or walking the dogs, or just doing something for myself.
I do use my lunch break to do errands too, but this week I haven't had anything totally pressing and with DH out of town the past 2 days, I can't run out for my late night errands or ice cream. ;)

Must release the guilt, must release the guilt, must take care of myself too, must take care of myself too......

gatorsmom
03-20-2009, 11:49 AM
ITA. I was just telling someone the other day how there are days I don't even go outside. It's so weird. But I've also found that if I go out just "for an errand," I end up spending 2 hours running around and not working. Got to figure out how to balance that out.

I know this is the bp and maybe you don't want a suggestion but this was me. Absolutely. So, for the past 3 months, I've designated Thursdays afternoon to be the day I run errands. I come home exhausted (not sure why) so I've designated Wednesday night the night I cook dinner and make enough for Thursday night leftovers. That way, I know while I"m running errands that I won't have to come home and cook dinner too.

In other words, Thursday afternoons are when I go to Target (and the post office, etc.). I make a list of the things I need and keep adding to it all week, knowing that I won't get back to Target til Thursday. It has helped me accomplish more things at home. just thought I'd throw that out there. :)