PDA

View Full Version : Dropside- for shorter mothers

MoeJoe
03-20-2009, 10:06 AM
I am asking not so much about the safety issue already discussed, but about convenience and practicality. I am 5'4" while my DH is 6'4" and I can't decide whether to get a dropside or stationary side crib.

Does anyone have this situation or have an opinion about it?

TIA

vonfirmath
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
I am 5'2" and that is why we got a dropside. As it turns out, we have not used it and I have not missed it.

When the baby can not stand up to help you, the crib will be at the tallest setting where you can reach. The only time it makes a difference now is when he wants to still sleep and I need to get him up. Its awkward to reach in and get him. But I've managed despite not being able to drop down our drop side.

(my son is now 19 months old and has been in the crib since 6 weeks)

jgenie
03-20-2009, 10:51 AM
I was very torn when we were shopping for DS' crib. I am just shy of 5' tall and was worried about getting DS into a fixed side crib. We ultimately went with a fixed side crib because we felt they were more solid. DS is now 14 months old and the matress is as low as it will go. I put DS in his crib asleep so I do have to stretch to get him in there, but it is possible. I'm glad we bought the stationary crib. I would think that with the extra 4" you have you wouldn't have any trouble. I would also think if you were able to get DC to sleep without being fully asleep that would help too. HTH

wendibird22
03-20-2009, 11:00 AM
There are several threads asking this same question (if you do a search I'm sure you'll find lots of advice). I'm 5'2" and have a stationary crib and have had no problems putting DD in/out. Usually the lower side of a stationary crib is the same height as the drop side when lowered...so basically the same.

MoeJoe
03-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks! I found the thread and it was very helpful. Basically, majority say fixed side cribs are not a problem. So, we'll probably go with that kind.

Additional question: what recommendations are there for a fixed side crib, with coil/spring bottom (as opposed to the thin wood board) that is less than $300? If there IS such a thing?!

If not, is there a big diff. bet. wood board and coils? I've read that it is "better" with coils, but then the ppl that have the wood say it is perfectly fine. Long term- is there any difference?