PDA

View Full Version : Tricycle help! (and, how do you like your Go Green trike?)

jent
03-22-2009, 03:23 PM
DD is turning 2 at the end of April & I've been debating getting her a tricycle...

1. my first question, is will a 2 year old be able to learn to pedal?

2. what features are important on a tricycle? (ie, push bar, air wheels, ability to coast)

3. DD is really short-- how much variation is there in distance of seat to pedals? Are they adjustable?

4. I know some folks bought that really cute Kettler Go Green trike for Xmas-- how are they liking it?

Thanks for the help!

amandabea
03-22-2009, 05:43 PM
I can't answer all your Qs, but 2 is early for pedaling -- my DD is 26 mos and understands the concept, but can't really manage it. When I mentioned to our ped she said pedaling was a 3 yo skill and not to worry if she didn't get it.

We've had the trike since she was about 18 mos (was my nephews). DD tries to pedal and will keep her feet on the pedals when I push her. So I absolutely say to get a trike with the parent push bar -- I so wish we had one. Ours is the Radio Flyer fold & go and it works fine -- I can't say as much for my aching back, but not having air tires does not seem like a big deal to me. I think the seat position is adjustable -- not sure though (my DD is tall).

Initially I thought about buying a new one with the parent bar and air tires, but I decided to save that money and get her a balance bike for Christmas -- she'll be 1 mo shy of 3 at that point.

jent
03-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I can't answer all your Qs, but 2 is early for pedaling -- my DD is 26 mos and understands the concept, but can't really manage it.
Initially I thought about buying a new one with the parent bar and air tires, but I decided to save that money and get her a balance bike for Christmas -- she'll be 1 mo shy of 3 at that point.

Thanks. I know there is some variability with pedaling, so I wasn't sure if many 2 yr olds do it.

And I never heard of balance bikes, until I started researching trikes on this board, but now I _so_ want one for DD. But will wait until next year.

neeleymartin
03-22-2009, 08:04 PM
DD is turning 2 at the end of April & I've been debating getting her a tricycle...

1. my first question, is will a 2 year old be able to learn to pedal?

2. what features are important on a tricycle? (ie, push bar, air wheels, ability to coast)

3. DD is really short-- how much variation is there in distance of seat to pedals? Are they adjustable?

4. I know some folks bought that really cute Kettler Go Green trike for Xmas-- how are they liking it?

Thanks for the help!

our pt told us that pedaling was a 3yr skill as well. we bought the go green for ds for xmas. he was just about 18mos then. he really wasn't interested in it. occasional quicky ride with feet up or attempts on the pedals with us pushing. we actual put it in the basement until the weather gets warmer.

we don't like that the pedals are somewhat rounded in shape and come to a rounded point on each end. the feet are really hard to keep on there, one would think. we may just replace them with more squared off pedals as time goes on. dh thinks it will be easy. not sure why kettler chose this design, seems stupid, but clearly i am missing something. hth.

hillview
03-22-2009, 08:17 PM
DS had a kettler since 1 year old. He couldn't pedal til he was 2 years and 10 months.
/hillary