PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Cloth training pants

DrSally
03-22-2009, 09:46 PM
I never even considered cloth diapers, but now that I am potty training, I am very intrigued by the idea of cloth trainers! I think I am being pulled to the dark side of cloth late in the game! I hate the idea of pull-ups. They're so expensive and IMO just like diapers. I think a cloth trainer might feel more like underwear, but still be able to stop leaks during that transition phase where they're not totally potty trained. DS gets very upset by messes and I think he might go ballisitc if he had a mess outside of his diaper. Not that that can be prevented, but this might be a nice transitional garmet for when he's still having a lot of accidents. Anyway, I first thought of doing Gerber training pants (just thick cotton basically) and bummi's covers, but then I found these:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_8&listing_id=22600972&ga_search_query=training+pants&ga_search_type=tag_title&ga_page=&min=&max=&order=

What do you all think?

amandabea
03-22-2009, 10:21 PM
They look great and inexpensive! I was obsessed with finding cloth trainers/cloth pullups bc I'm opposed to Pullups, but was shocked at the price and wary to go off and order a whole bunch without trying them first.

I ended up ordering one each of Imse Vimse trainers, Little Beetles trainers, and one other that I can't remember at the moment - prices ranged from $14-22 each. I also ordered 3 packs of the HA trainers from the outlets for $18/3 pack. I liked everything I ordered, but all the cloth trainers seemed bulky under DD's clothes and really didn't work any better than the HA trainers. Only one pair of the trainers had the PUL lining to prevent leaks. So, I'd just get the HA trainers and be prepared for accidents. I do think I'll ultimately get some cloth trainers for overnight, but we've got 1 1/2 boxes of diapers and that will get me thru about 6 months (only use them at night).

Good luck!

american_mama
03-24-2009, 01:33 AM
So, they're $10 each, flannel and terry inner, pul outer and decorative flannel outer over the pul. Just a breakdown for those familiar with the design of different items.

I have never used cloth trainers, but I do use cloth diapers. Flannel and terry are not the most absorbent fabrics, and terry is pretty bulky. The decorative flannel outer is actually going to add a smidgeny of bulk (because flannel isn't the thinner or most flexible fabric) and possibly the nap of the flannel might make sliding clothes over the trainer a bit harder.

That's the downside. The cost is relatively low, the PUL lining sounds good and should make it resist leaks, and you are curious to try something, so maybe you should just try it.

Your original plan of cotton trainers with Bummis covers would work too, or you can use cheap Gerber covers (which are usually made of vinyl) or Gerber vinyl covered trainers. All pull on style underwear or trainers are a mess if the child poops in them by accident. And two layers (cover and separate trainer) might also be a pain, but I'm not sure since I never did it.

Everyone potty trains a little differently, but I used all-cotton trainers with good success (the ones without the waterproof outers). I'd buy a pack of Gerber or JC Penney brand trainers since they are quite cheap and readily available, and give those a week to see if they are working for you before buying something more expensive.

WatchingThemGrow
03-24-2009, 04:54 AM
We just did the HA trainers we got on sale for $10/3-pack (maybe some at outlet, can't remember) - two packs was skimping, but doable. They worked well for DD, and she has passed them on for other family members. In fact, I saw yesterday that Dressy Bessy is PTing and was wearing them, LOL.

AnnieW625
03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
We bought two packages of the Hanna trainers (on sale) and a package of the Gerber trainers. The Gerbers were too tight around the legs. DD still isn't using them (UGH!) but I like them because they are a bit thicker than normal panties but still seem to work well under normal clothes. I plan on buying another package the next time they are on sale too. Also with the HA's I called a couple of outlets and they didn't have them. I ended up getting a pair shipped to me from a local store.

boolady
03-25-2009, 02:06 PM
DD uses the cloth Gerber training pants and is doing well with them. They are definitely nice and soft, so she is motivated to wear them rather than diapers.

DrSally
03-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Thank you for your input! I know almost nothing about cloth diapering, so I appreciate the review. Sounds like the Etsy trainer might be bulky, thanks for the heads up. But, it does have the PUL liner built in and is cheap. So, I may order just one. It's better than Pull-ups, IMO, b/c pullups are just like diapers. I want him to feel like he's wearing underpands (or something like it), but a little insurance for the transition to real undies. I did go out and get some of the Gerber trainers in white so I can bleach them if need be. I agree that I can see them getting really messy with a #2 accident. The Gerber covers just seem too plasticy, so I'm getting a couple Bummi covers. It seems like they are made of poly more similar to the Bumpkins bibs. DS is over 3 yo, so hopefully we won't need these solutions for long.

DrSally
03-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Oh, and I do have a Hanna, but it's a little far away, and no outlet. Is there a cheaper place to get Hanna trainers online or would it just be the outlet...

WatchingThemGrow
03-25-2009, 03:37 PM
try a phone order to any of the outlets. That's what I do.

DrSally
03-25-2009, 03:39 PM
try a phone order to any of the outlets. That's what I do.

Oh, good idea. Thanks for letting me know they will accomodate that.

WatchingThemGrow
03-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Oh, they are awesome about it. I've used probably 4 different outlets over the years and have been very happy. They have a good system.