PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Wonderland & other Philly area

AddiesMom
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
I am originally from So NJ, planning a trip back right before the kids get out of school since DD is done with preschool Memorial Day week. We will go back to Sesame Place for a day, probably visit family at LBI for a day or two. We will mix the week with hotels and staying with family.

Last year we did Crayola Factory and I am looking to add something different this year. How is Dutch Wonderland for a 3.5 year old? Also, how is the Philly Zoo, haven't been there in over 20 years. Any other recommendations?

egoldber
03-23-2009, 09:46 AM
We went to DW for Sarah's 4th birthday. I think that 3-5 is really perfect fro DW. She could ride basically every ride. It was not a huge park, shaded and pleasant. We went in mid August and it was not that crowded. By late afternoon the water park section was pretty crowded though.

Bryan mom
03-26-2009, 09:38 PM
My DS was 3.5 years last summer and we went to Dutch Wonderland as well as the Philly Zoo. He enjoyed them both tremendously! Lots of rides for his height at DW. Loved the petting zoos at Philly. They also had the donkey and camelback rides for $5 each.

Haven't been to, but we were going to go to the Camden aquarium. Another idea is the Dorney Park. There is a smaller area just for younger kids for rides. But Dutch Wonderland has more rides for that age group.

BTW, AAA has discount tickets for all of the places mentioned above (though not a big discount).

On my list of places to check out is Wildwoods.

jjordan
03-26-2009, 10:23 PM
I've heard DW is great for that age, although we actually haven't been.

We love the zoo though. It is relatively small, which is a good thing for little kids because you can see whichever animals they want. At a bigger zoo you might have to "commit" to only seeing the animals in one particular area. But at the Philly zoo, you can easily go from the zebras to the monkeys to the lions (or whatever your dd wants to see).

You might think about getting a membership if you decide to do the zoo. With free parking and whatever admissions come with your membership level, it can pay for itself pretty quickly. Even if you don't plan to revisit the Philly zoo anytime soon, it will get you in free at many other zoos in the country. If you think you'll be at another zoo within the year then it might save you some money.

maydaymommy
03-27-2009, 10:11 PM
The Aquarium is a fun trip. I also LOVE the new Please Touch Museum. 3.5 is still a good age for it. Right near Dutch Wonderland there is a lot of train stuff, like the Strasburg Railroad. Longwood Gardens is also a really nice play to spend the day.

jjordan
03-28-2009, 08:34 PM
We were just at Longwood Gardens yesterday and our 2 year old loved it! I was actually kind of surprised at how much she enjoyed it. The children's garden in the conservatory was her favorite thing!

Mikey0709
03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Definatley try to plan to see the PLEASE TOUCH MUSEUM! It's wonderful for that age! we went during the week when it wasn't as busy and it was perfect! AAA card gives a discount (that they don't tell you about unless you ask at the counter)

jenstiles
05-18-2009, 12:17 PM
i was going to suggest the please touch museum, but it seems i have been beaten to it.