PDA

View Full Version : Triumph vs. Quest vs. Techno

L'sMommy
03-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Sorry, this is yet another post about Mac strollers. I currently have an easy traveler that I use with my KeyFit 30 car seat, but am looking to get a regular stroller after MIL put too much weight on the easy traveller handles (diaper bag plus down coat) and tipped over the stroller with the baby in it. I was NOT happy with her to say the least! Baby is 10 weeks and I'm looking for some advice.

Comparing the 3 Macs, I wanted to know which you have and why you like/chose it (compared to the other 2). I need some help figuring out what I need to look for in a stroller for an infant that young. I would like the stroller to last a fairly long time. The Techno seems much more expensive than the other 2 - is it that much better?

jenny
03-23-2009, 10:28 AM
If your baby is only 10 weeks old, you should get the Techno b/c it has a full recline.

The quest and triumph don't recline as far (with the quest have a deeper recline that the triumph).

The recommended age for the quest is 3 months, but I didn't put DD in it until she was about 6 months. I bought a new 2008 Quest for $158 including shipping and handling on Ebay a few months ago.

The Techno is slightly heaver and slightly wider, I think. But heavy is a relative term when you're talking about Maclaren strollers.

I have the Quest and I like it b/c it has an extendable footrest, which is nice since my DD is 8 months and can't put her feet all the way down yet. The Techno has this option too, but the Triumph doesn't.

People complain about tippiness, but I haven't had a big problem with it. You can put bottles of water in the basket to prevent this I guess. BUT I would not put a diaper bag and coat on the stroller when DD is not it. We did do this during the winter when we were in the mall when DD was in the stroller and it did not tip...but I don't think it's a good idea in general.

My husband wishes the stroller had a cup holder, but I don't mind. Overall I like it b/c it's so light and easy to steer. But DD isn't too much into strollers lately. She's at the age where she wants to be out and about, so I just bought a beco butterfly 2 baby carrier so I can put her on my back b/c she loves to be held and carried.

MontrealMum
03-23-2009, 10:53 AM
The Techno costs so much more because there are lots of differences in features when you make the jump from Quest to Techno. Not that I think that it should cost *that* much more, but there are differences. The differences between the Triumph and the Quest aren't as big.

So, here is what I saw as the diff.: Techno has a deeper recline and can be used from birth (acc. to Mac), it has adjustable handlebars, and my friend's Techno (which is older) has shocks on the wheels. The wheels are beefier than those on my Quest. Because of these differences it weighs more, though I don't know if that's enough to cut down on the tipping or not.

We bought a Quest because the price diff. was just too huge to justify the Techno, and because of DS' birth and the season, we weren't going to be putting a teeny tiny baby in it. He was over 4 mos. (maybe 7?) when I first used the Quest. I have had the stroller tip numerous times - but never with the baby in it. These were all my fault as I'd forgotten that I'd put the diaper bag and my coat over the handles. We debated for a long time between the Quest and Triumph but decided on the Quest because 1) I got a great deal on a previous season's color 2) we wanted the deeper recline and foot rest.

We're fairly happy with our Quest decision and also have a Volo for my mom's house. I don't know what I'd do with a baby that much younger though. Hopefully someone with a younger child will chime in.

If you go to the Mac website they have a nice feature which shows you what features are standard to all Macs, and then which ones are specific to certain models. It makes for easy comparison.

lorinick
03-23-2009, 11:14 AM
We chose the Quest because it was light weight and the recline is nicer and foot extend bar was nice for our 6-7 month old. Never used it before than. It does say 3mts. the Triumph is 6mts so not for you to use now. I didn't even consider the the Techno it was to heavy for what I was looking for. But the Mac's are tippy so that problem will still be an issue with the Quest and the Triumph not as much with the Techno. I would still use the Traveler just tell MIL not to hang things from the stroller. If you take baby out of the Quest or the Triumph with things hanging from the stroller it will tip over.

leelers
03-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I have a techno. I'm tall, so is DH so it was a big deal to me that the handles were a little taller than the other macs. It only weighs a few pounds more so that wasn't a big issue to me. I liked the flexibility to be able to put a younger baby in it as well as an older toddler. I liked that the wheels were bigger, felt like it added more stability and control to the stroller. I've loved it, but haven't owned any other Macs so can't compare that way.

WatchingThemGrow
03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
We got the Triumph because we new we wanted an air-tire stroller as our main stroller on streets and such, and we wanted our Mac for travel/occasional use. Mac wheels are not soft, cushiony, etc, and they are fairly stripped down so we didn't really want it as our all the time stroller. The Triumph (per the mac website) says 3 mos, and that's when we started using it. It was fine then. It is the Volo that says 6 mos. There was enough of a recline that we could use it for napping. We also liked the strap and the lighter weight so that when we WERE traveling, it wouldn't actually be too heavy to toss over a shoulder with other bags AND a baby in arms.

If MIL is using your stroller to hang a diaper bag, coat, bags, etc, IMO, you might want to look for something more substantial because the Mac isn't a "mule" type of stroller that can do it all. We decided to spend more $$ on a more versatile stroller and get a more basic Mac that would serve its purpose in the lightweight category. We've been really happy with the Triumph.

Sorry about the tipping accident. It will happen with bags on the handles - esp. as the baby grows and you let them out to play/walk. You have to learn how to pack a Mac so this doesn't happen.

luvmy2littleguys
03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Definately the Techno for your little one. IMO the Techno is not nearly as tippy as the quest or the triumph and the canopy is a lot more substantial. Check www.rightstart.com - they had 2008 Mac Technos for 210 or so and there was also a closeout special 2008 on www.returnsforsale.com a couple days ago for a similar price - rightstart's came with the comfort pack where as returns for sale did not. Also, I'm a lighter diaper bag packer and love using my skip hop saddlebags to carry stuff and keep the stroller from tipping - especially during long outings.

AnnieW625
03-23-2009, 10:55 PM
I have used a Mac Triumph for DD (almost 3) since she was three months old per what the MAC website said. We have been more than happy with that stroller, even though the downfall is that it only has a one position recline. My MAC tips a lot on me because I forget to take the bags off before taking DD out to change her diaper, it makes me looks stupid every time, but I am used to it. I've never once had it tip when DD has been in it. Sometimes I do wish I would've gotten a Quest or a Techno instead only because of the recline, but the Triumph has been awesome. DD still sleeps in the Triumph with no issues. We've used it on public transportation in LA, and in Boston, as well as many times in the airport and it's great. A lot of people complain about the canopy on the Triumph, but with ours there is extra material so you can move the canopy all the way down and stretch the extra canopy material over the handle bars. Someone did post on this board last week or two ago that they have changed this for 2009 so you might want to stick with a 2008 model. Also the fold on the Triumph is amazing. You will get spoiled at how neat, easy, and small the fold is.