PDA

View Full Version : It's time to talk playhouses!

anamika
03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm looking for a wooden playhouse that doesn't cost as much as a mortgage payment. Last year Costco had one (Kidkraft, I think) for $130. I was hoping to see that again.
This year they have a new playhouse (wooden) that has more features (doorbell, sand and water play, sink, etc) and costs $300. I think DD would love it but of course, I feel the overpowering urge to research this extensively :ROTFLMAO:
Is this my best option for a wooden playhouse? I haven't seen any others in this range. Am I missing any contenders? Has anyone found anything they loved? Please share!
Thanks for your help,

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2009, 02:01 PM
We just put together that $300 Kidkraft playhouse from Costco yesterday. :) It is so cute! I didn't know about a $130 last year since we just joined Costco a few months ago. That sounds like a great deal. I do love all the features of this playhouse though. Love the wood too.

Beth

neeleymartin
03-23-2009, 02:12 PM
i looked on the website and couldn't find any. are they just in stores?

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2009, 02:14 PM
i looked on the website and couldn't find any. are they just in stores?

I tried to look it up online too and couldn't find it. It isn't listed with the Kidkraft products, outside toys or any other category it should be with. I wonder if not every store has it either?

Beth

Melbel
03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
The Kidkraft play house was available at our Costco in FL on Sunday. Very cute!

DrSally
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I saw the kidcraft one at Costco and thought it was cute! It was up high, so I didn't see all the features. Where are the sand and water play areas?

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
The sand and water areas are 2 plastic tubs that sit in the one window, like window boxes.

Beth

sariana
03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Last year Costco had one (Kidkraft, I think) for $130.

Are you sure about this? I remember a KidCraft one at Costco last year, but it was also $300, just like this year's. The one they have this year is cuter, but the one last year had a floor. Last year's was on Costco.com until recently; it got relatively poor reviews. Reviewers said it fell apart quickly.

I SO want to get a playhouse for DS (4 1/2) and DD (14 months). DS would love it, but DH is totally opposed. We have plenty of space in our yard, even here in CA where yards tend to be small. DH is just a wet blanket. He was against getting a sandbox, too, but DS LOVES it.

BabyMine
03-23-2009, 04:19 PM
We went to costco during the weekend and saw it.My DS1 got to play in it and loved it. Of course there also is this one :ROTFLMAO:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11116572&search=cottage&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=cottage&Ntt=cottage&No=4&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

MMMommy
03-23-2009, 04:28 PM
We had this Kidkraft wooden indoors playhouse, which is a steal at $49.99. I paid almost $200 for this exact same playhouse. It is a solid, well made playhouse and is super cute. It was also more spacious than I ever expected it would be. And at that price, you can't go wrong. But again, it is intended for indoor use, as the wood isn't treated for weather resistance. It also assembles like Lincoln Logs, so you don't need to nail it together. But once it is put together, it is solid and not at all flimsy. It can be taken apart and rebuilt fairly easily if you ever need to move it.

https://www.tuesdaymorningoffer.com/dsp_productDetail.asp?pid=2652

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Are you sure about this? I remember a KidCraft one at Costco last year, but it was also $300, just like this year's. The one they have this year is cuter, but the one last year had a floor. Last year's was on Costco.com until recently; it got relatively poor reviews. Reviewers said it fell apart quickly.

I SO want to get a playhouse for DS (4 1/2) and DD (14 months). DS would love it, but DH is totally opposed. We have plenty of space in our yard, even here in CA where yards tend to be small. DH is just a wet blanket. He was against getting a sandbox, too, but DS LOVES it.

Gosh, I hope ours' holds up better. It seems really, really sturdy. After like 6 hours of work I would hope it stays together!

My 6yo is so thrilled to have a playhouse. I have been wondering if I missed the window on the play-ability with it but guess not! I hope you can get your dh to come around. :)

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
We went to costco during the weekend and saw it.My DS1 got to play in it and loved it. Of course there also is this one :ROTFLMAO:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11116572&search=cottage&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=cottage&Ntt=cottage&No=4&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

A private school around the corner here has a whole little town of these set up in their outside play area. It is adorable! I would gladly take one of those- they are beautiful!

Beth

Dcclerk
03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
I love all things wood, and had actually originally bought the Costco's playhouse last year (our's was definitely $300, not $130, but I actually liked it better than this year's one because it had less painting and a little portch). However, I took it back because I wanted one with a little more height (I have really tall kids). After walking by a couple for the last year, I have to say they have not handled the weather nearly as well as my Step 2 plastic fantastic play house http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1336 . We live in a pretty temperate climate and the Costco wood playhouses have definitely become weathered looking. Just something to think about....

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-23-2009, 05:25 PM

We have been thinking of getting a new house, this might be it. What would a 30 year fixed mortgage be on it? I wonder if it comes with a pony?

fivi2
03-23-2009, 05:43 PM
We have last year's Costco one - ours was $300 and no floor (haven't seen any with a floor). Ours has held up fine imo. We live in a super hot climate and the red roof has faded a bit, but the wood looks fine (it is in the shade, we have not stained it or anything. but I am not too picky about it either :) ). I like the porch, which this year's doesn't have, but all the other stuff looks cool on this year's.

My girls are 3 y and 3 months. We got it about a year ago. It gets a little play, but not a ton. When we have playgroup all the other kids LOVE it, but my girls just aren't that into it. It is pretty small (not sure of the exact dimensions) but my girls are petite, so not an issue for us.

I would have been fine with many of the giant plastic ones - if I had been able to get one on Craigslist. I think some of the plastic ones are bigger and have cool features like secret exits. They just go too fast on my CL!

WatchingThemGrow
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
We got a Little Tikes plastic one for $270 I think last year (DD turned 2), and it has been quite a hit. I think the accessories are a big part of the fun for my kids and their friends. Last year, DD really liked the doorbell, the phone,the chairs and the tools. This year, the kitchen/cafe, gas pump (she fills up DS' car and the tractor), and the basketball goal are huge in her book.

Here is the thread about how I got it for a pretty low price last year, using the spring sale at TRU, a BRU 15% off coupon and such... http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=293292&page=2&highlight=plastic+playhouses

It is fun to watch what each kid gets into with it and to open it up so they can drive through it with cars and such. Here it is. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2987087 Don't mind the reviewers who got frustrated with assembly and decided the product was horrid. You can just picture those people putting things together, right? DH and I did it without swearing and *gasp* enjoyed a beer in the cafe when it was all done.

anamika
03-23-2009, 07:47 PM

Can I live in that one? Maybe I can add it to my mortgage as a house extension or something..........:ROTFLMAO:
I love the $50 one too but I do need it for outdoors.
Hmmm...does Costco do markdowns or something. I really remember seeing it for $130 around July. But we didn't have a yard then.....
We live in the NE - would we have to bring it in over the winter? I never even thought about it!
The plastic ones are nice too but I have my heart set on a wooden one! DD would be fine with either :hysterical:

DrSally
03-23-2009, 09:30 PM

Hahaha, adorable!

athompson
03-24-2009, 03:53 PM
For those that have added a floor to the models (wood or plastic) without one, how did you do it? I am not handy at all and would love any tips you can share. Thank you!

katydid1971
03-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Does anyone have experience with this house from TRU? I think its super cute and ahs as good or better reviews than the costco one.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2781012

katydid1971
03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
FYI
Here's the one that costco is selling
http://www.kidkraft.com/catalog/productimages.asp?itemid=00135

katydid1971
03-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Well we did it, we bought the costco play house!!!! It fit into the back of the odyssey with the last seat down :) I'll report back once we've put it together :)

DrSally
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Well we did it, we bought the costco play house!!!! It fit into the back of the odyssey with the last seat down :) I'll report back once we've put it together :)

Exciting! Will be interested to see how your DC likes it. Good to know it fits in an oddy.