PDA

View Full Version : Plane Travel w/15 Month Old. Do I need to buy a seat or is bassinet ok?

pinnacle94080
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Hello.

I am planning on a 13 hour plane travel with my 13 month DD. Since she is only 15 months, I do not need to purchase a separate seat for her and the airline will give her a bassinet. My m-in-law has volunteered to pay for an extra seat for her since it is a long flight. My question is, is it worth it to get a separate seat for her or will a bassinett and our laps be good enough since she is only 15 months old?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Zansu
03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Your DD may be too big for a bassinet. Check with the specific airline. And the bassinet can only be used when the seatbelt sign is off. And you won't be able to sleep while she's in the bassinet b/c she can climb out. You also have to pay for a lap-baby on international flights (usually 10%of the FULL adult fare, not the discounted fare that you will pay).

If you buy DD a seat, you can bring her carseat which will allow her to be safe and in a comfortable position. And you will get double the luggage allowance. :)

WatchingThemGrow
03-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't want to hold my wiggly 15 mo. old for that long, and I'm quite certain a bassinet wouldn't contain one of that age. Carseat seems like the way to go.

hillview
03-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Get a seat for sure!
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Carseat. I can't imagine that a 15m old (I have one) would be happy in a bassinet that long.

Beth

lowrioh
03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Check with your airline, but I did an 18 hour international flight in Jan and they limit the bassinet to babies under 6 months and 20 pounds. The one we were assigned was very small and my 5 month old JUST fit on the way over and we didn't even bother getting it when we came back. If you can get a seat and the airline allows you to install your car seat, I would do it.

TonFirst
03-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I did the bassinet to Amsterdam when my son was 4 months. There was no way he'd fit in it the next time we did the trip at 14 months. We got lucky and had a free seat next to us and brought his Scenera on the plane.

Bottom line - if your MIL will pay for a seat for your daughter, take the seat!

JdrKuhnert
03-24-2009, 07:12 AM
If you can get a seat, get a seat. With baby in a car seat, you will have much more peace of mind and a little breather. However, if you don't end up buying a seat still bring your car seat with you. If there are open seats, you can use one for your child with the car seat. If there isn't one, they will gate check the car seat for you. On my last flight to the states, I bought a seat for my 3 yo and then took my 1 yo as a lap child. When I booked my seats on line I left an empty seat between us and it stayed empty. I was able to have a seat for my son for all of my flights. I was really glad to have the seat for him. It would have been too much with him in my lap the entire time. It's fine for short flights, but for long flights it would be a nightmare.
You should also ask for bulk head seats. You'll have more room for the car seat and nobody for your child to kick.

nfowife
03-25-2009, 02:13 AM
I would get a seat if you can. Realize that some airlines do not allow you to purchase a seat for a child under 2- these are foreign airlines (for example, Alitalia). But your 15 month-old will not fit in the bassinet, no.

alirebco
03-25-2009, 02:16 PM
If your MIL will pay for it, I would definitely buy the seat! We are taking a 6 hour flight in a week and I got DS a seat since there is no way we could do that trip as a lap baby. Plus, we'll have more room and he'll be more comfortable as well as safe!

pinnacle94080
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Thank you all for your comments. Its hard to plan things if you have not experienced it but I am glad that you have all provided me with some good insights. I guess getting a seat is the way to go. Hope all is well. :)

ThreeofUs
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Check with your airline. But what pp's say about bassinets is true: on a plane they are trouble. Get a seat!