PDA

View Full Version : New to this but have plenty to b*tch about. Here's the first :MIL

MCsMom
03-24-2009, 12:12 AM
MIL means well but drives me completely crazy sometimes.
Most recent was a weekend gathering at her house a week ago. We live 5 hours away. We came over for the weekend, DH is a musician, played some gigs over by the IL's.
So, we have MIL's cousin coming over with her 7 1/2 month old and husband.
I thought I liked the Cousin before until she made a point of letting me know that my DD was so "tiny". DD was 8 lbs. 5 oz at birth and 17 lbs. during this visit (6 months old). I guess compared to her giant son, yeah, she is pretty small.
We are sitting around and Cousin is telling how her mother is great with her son etc. (Grandma gets on the floor with Giant Son and Cousin likes to just hand him a toy "Here's your toy". Her words) and how she went back to work blah blah. MIL pipes in and informs everyone that I had decided to join a moms group because I was BORED at home.
Is it just me?
This so rubbed me the wrong way.
DH tried to explain that this was his mom's way of making cousin feel better about going back to work. DH was not in the room, I had to tell him after.
GRRR!

maestramommy
03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Ugh! No matter how she meant it, it just sounds bad! If I had been at the gathering I would've piped up and said, Oh good for you! Moms group saved my sanity!" :hug:

MamaMolly
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Harumph. Sounds like Cousin has some I.S.S.U.E.S.

FWIW your DD doesn't seem tiny to me at all, she seems pretty much perfect. And you can tell Cousin I said so ;). Seriously, my DD was a chubba-bubba but well within the 50-75th percentile and I had a man tell me I needed to put her on the SugarBusters diet. Ummm, she's breast fed, dude. When someone would say something stupid about DD being too small or too big I'd just mildly say 'Really? Cause her pediatrician said she's doing just fine.' That kind of answer implies that the other person isn't a doctor so they might just want to shut up.

As for MIL, what a stupid thing to say. I'm curious if she really thinks you are bored or if it is more likely that MIL thinks you are much more secure than Cousin, and kind of stuck her foot into it. My own mother does some seriously annoying overcompensating when it comes to DD and my DNiece. The girls are only 3 months apart, DN is adopted, in full time daycare, I'm crunchy, a bit obsessive about car seat installation, yadda yadda. My sister and I have no issues about our differences in parenting choices, we even laugh about it. But my mom...UGH. I literally can't mention DD with out my mom interrupting to tell me something cute DN did. Ok, I get it, DN is adorable, but sometimes, sometimes I'd just like to complete a thought and actually hear feedback without changing the subject.

All that to say that MIL may have more of a problem than you do. But it sounds like Cousin has her own problems. Try to ignore them as best as you can.

MCsMom
03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
We will see about the mom's group Maestra. Went to one meeting so far. I met some nice ladies and of course the loud obnoxious ignorant one of the group :irked: Just my luck haha
Am sticking with it though, the organizer is pretty nice and she has great activity ideas.
Miss Molly, thanks for understanding. DD is just perfect in my eyes and our Doc says she's just great. I don't make comments like that to other people about their babies but for some reason... Uhhhh SUGARBUSTERS? Really? DD has delightful ankle folds so am just waiting for someone to say she's too fat.
About MIL, I do believe she was overcompensating. She knows how I am with DD, obsessive about organics, developmentally appropriate play (am a RIE follower), no TV (for now) etc. and I think she appreciates it and resents it at the same time, if that makes sense.
Good thing you and your sis laugh together. I know they mean well (moms and MILs) but sometimes they can't get over themselves.
Yes, as always, will ignore the ignore-able.
What gets me is like you said, they clearly have problems yet they talk about me instead of getting themselves together.
Good think DD is a funny gal :hug5:

maestramommy
03-24-2009, 10:10 PM
When it comes to size, you just can't please everybody. Both my girls were chubby even though they were waaaaaay down there on the chart. In fact, Arwyn fell off it by 12 months, and took 3 months to creep back on. Really, there was nothing I could do about it, she already was eating like a pig. Maybe Cousin is jealous and worried her kid is too big? :D

MCsMom
03-24-2009, 10:31 PM
She shouldn't be because Giant Son is pretty cute.
He's just, well, big for his age.
Poor guy, well after I went up to help DD wind down for bed, Cousin was saying "Why is he fussy?".
Giant Son was fussy because he was exhausted and needed to be in bed.
Cousin and husband decided it was a better idea to stay and have fun after dinner.
"He's just that way late at night."
*sigh*

sarahsthreads
03-24-2009, 10:35 PM
When it comes to size, you just can't please everybody. Both my girls were chubby even though they were waaaaaay down there on the chart. In fact, Arwyn fell off it by 12 months, and took 3 months to creep back on. Really, there was nothing I could do about it, she already was eating like a pig. Maybe Cousin is jealous and worried her kid is too big? :D

:yeahthat:
My grandmother is constantly trying to compare DD2's size with a friend's great-granddaughter who is 3 months younger and has always (from birth) weighed more. I don't know how much my baby weighs at the moment - she's happy, meeting milestones, sleeps well and makes wet and dirty diapers. Oh, and she's got folds and rolls everywhere she ought to, and weighs a ton when I have to carry her in to drop DD1 off at preschool. ;) I think she's just fine! I can't tell if my grandmother is worried that DD2 is too small (she's never quite trusted the breastfeeding thing) or if she's worried that the other baby is too big...

And OP, being at home with a baby can seriously be boring. Adult interaction is the reason moms groups and library story times for babies exist. But it wasn't a nice thing for your MIL to say, no matter how she meant it, and I'm sure I'd take offense if my MIL (or mom) said anything of the sort!

Sarah :)

MCsMom
03-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Definitely not nice;)
I think what irked me was I never said I was bored. She came up with that all by herself.
I joined because I needed some female companionship since my local girlfriends have no kids and can't really relate.
What is up with the size comparison thing?
Baby envy?
:ROTFLMAO: