PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Dh...but ds is turning 5

jacksmomtobe
03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
DS wants to open gifts on the morning of his birthday as a classmate did that. DH said well he's not going to do that is he? My response is it's his Birthday then he should be able to. Dh then frowns as me and says ...so he's going to open some on his Birthday then at 2 other parties (or at least from those parties not necc at the parties themselves). Well yes.

I wish we didn't have to do it this way but I do feel that ds should be able to open them on his actual Birthday (this Thursday). There will probably only be 2 small ones since DH never got back to me on his input on presents and that is what I have so far. And unfortunately we couldn't get the local community center for a weekend day anywhere close to DS's birthday date so we have to have 2 parties (one friends next Tues, one family at our home a week from Saturday as this was the only date that worked for sil who is a nurse). This year everyone in his class at preschool is inviting everyone else. Dh said well that doesn't mean ds has to do that...well yes it does. I did not want to have 16 classmates, a few true friends & at least 4+ siblings at our house so I rented the community center. DH complained about the cost...compared to other places it's fairly inexpensive and I'm doing the activities myself (just a wee bit stressed about that). I would love to not have a family party or even a smaller kids party but neither thing will fly this year. I am not going overboard by any means. I'm being a frugal as I can. I would also be happy if people came without presents but unfortuantely at the other kids parties ds saw kids get presents so there is somewhat of an expectation there. I wish he could have made it to his friend's party where they donate pjs to charity but we couldn't make that one. I would definitely love to do that or something like that in the future. I'm telling people they don't have to bring gifts because I would love it if he only got a few because that would still be ok with him. Some gift will definitely be put away & some will definitely be donated to charity. If people insist on a gift and want ideas I've said books for friends and a few clothing items from family. I just wish sometimes DH would realize he is going to be 5 and is a little kid and not take the fun out of things. There are subtle ways to do things that don't spoil ds but also don't take the fun out of it for ds. His Birthday should be special that doesn't mean in a material way but he should feel at 5 that he had a wonderful celebration of that special day.

s7714
03-25-2009, 12:53 AM
My DH made a similar response earlier this month for my DD's 6th birthday--"what, are we celebrating birthdays for a whole week now instead of one day?" :irked: Why not?! Being that it was kind of hard to cram a small family party, school, a trip to Disney and a dinner out all into one day, yes we had to spread things out a little!

I'm all for celebrating someone's birthday for a couple days. I do prefer to keep present giving to one event if at all possible, but if other presents filter in from packages or later visits, it's not the end of the world.

Sorry your DH is being a party pooper (like mine). Hope your DS's party goes well!

jacksmomtobe
03-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Ok so now DH let DS open one of his presents tonight a day early! I was holding strong but he gave in. So maybe he will lighten up more tomorrow.

Found out today that SIL who was going to be my extra set of hands for the kids party has to go across country for a funeral of a dear friend so she won't be here to help. I totally understand that and feel bad for her since the family is in shock and she'll be helping out with the funeral arrangements. I'll have to lean on a few of my friends for the party. I'm so nervous about it since all of DS's class is coming to the party. I also don't have a lot of time to set up. I'll be happy when the parties are over!