PDA

View Full Version : My review...BOB Rev vs. BJCE

SarahNC
03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Many of you may know I have been on a search of the perfect jogging stroller. My must haves were 3 air filled tires, nice sunshade, one handle, good basket and excellent steering. I went to a local baby shop to test drive the BOB Revolution and Baby Jogger City Elite. Both steered great and had large sun shades.

BOB's pros:
nice comfortable handle
easy to get to basket
larger seat for an older/larger child
Better resale value in my area

Cons:
Not many accessories can be added
Fold seemed slightly more awkward than BJCE which folds our vs. in but I am told it is easy once you get used to it.

BJCE's pros:
padded seat (looked more comfortable)
loved the way it folded. Very cool!
more accessories (jump seat, tray, cooler, etc...)

Cons:
VERY hard to get into the basket. This was the deal breaker.
Handle wasn't "soft" like the BOB's

In the end I went with the BOB. BJCE was much "plusher" but I couldn't get over the basket. Also I kinda liked that the BOB was wider and longer since I will be using this stroller for 2 more years (DD is 16 months). Hope this helps someone who might be debating between the two. I had to make a decision before the REI sale was up!

WatchingThemGrow
03-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Glad you were able to test drive and see which one fit your needs best. When I owned both of the doubles (brand new, funny story) and did the side by side comparison, the things that tipped us to the BJCED side were:

- the adjustable handlebar
- the taller seatback on BJ (BOB was wider, BJ taller)
-smaller footprint when folded (which made it fit in my car)

I didn't realize the Elite single basket was harder to access. We put several gallons of milk and loads of other groceries in the basket of our double. Maybe it is set up differently.

Enjoy your new wheels!!!

purpelina
03-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah, congrats on your buy :)

Wanted to comment, that I had similar dilemma, and bought Baby jogger city Series over the Bob. I actually liked baby jogger's basket more, because (on the single at least) it is snapped to the frame, so I can unsnap it partially, fit something bulky, and snap it back on. Plus, stroller fabric can be unsnapped and washed, unlike bob's.
All in all, bob and baby jogger are both wonderful strollers, and it's hard to choose;) Good thing, that whcihever you choose truly will make you and your lil' rider happy!

SarahNC
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Watching, oh I forgot to mention that the BJCE has an adjustable handle. That is nice. I think it did have better options. Seemed easier to fix the front wheel for example. The only way to get into the basket on the model they had was from the side. It seemed like it would be annoying since I walk to many stores.

Purple, you are right BOTH are awesome strollers! I am sure I would have been happy with either. This will be living in my garage most of the time and I have a SUV so fold size was not a real issue for me. Washing would be nice. Oh well. Luckily I got a dark color. Haha.

Reminder: REI carries both and their 20% member coupon ends on the 29th. You can have it shipped to the store for free.

ETA: another thing that pushed me towards the BOB was that DH is a runner so on the off chance he would want to use it jogging the BJCE is not considered a jogging stroller.

WatchingThemGrow
03-25-2009, 10:10 PM
ETA: another thing that pushed me towards the BOB was that DH is a runner so on the off chance he would want to use it jogging the BJCE is not considered a jogging stroller.
True!

Thanks for sharing the info that REI has both now! I didn't realize they were now carrying the City Series on their website. Same with the Summit. They used to only carry the running ones, so it made discounts on the Elite harder to come by.

Was it REI you tried them both out in?

To other shoppers: remember the BJ has the little legrest flaps you can use to access the basket. That is my auxiliary toy/snack/sunscreen/wallet/bib flap sometimes.

SarahNC
03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
No I went to a local baby store. Not sure REI has the elite in the store anyways. I was interested in the classic but look wise the other two are much cooler. It was fun testing them out but my daughter REFUSED to sit in either. She kept trying to run for the door and make her escape. I don't think you can beat the REI price (with coupon) plus there are rebate sites. The BOB also has little pockets next to her seat and a big on on the back of her seat.

Snow mom
03-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Reminder: REI carries both and their 20% member coupon ends on the 29th. You can have it shipped to the store for free.

Wow, this is a great tip! I'm not actually a REI member, but I often use my dad's membership :innocent: Could you tell me whether the coupon is someting they mailed out or whether it is linked to the membership number? It saves me some explaining when I call and ask for it...

ETA: nevermind, I found the answer front and center on the REI site-- not sure how I initially missed it. What sites have cashback at REI?

WatchingThemGrow
03-26-2009, 06:35 AM
LOL about your DD not wanting to sit. That's exactly why I was frantically searching for the perfect double when DD was 16 mos and DS was like 6 weeks away... We've loved the seatback pockets on the BJ as well! That is the summer storage place for our HA floppy sunhats!

Snowmom, you found it I guess, but you can use ebates.com to get 3% back on REI purchases. I guess you'll need the membership number to check out online vs. just ordering over the phone like I do sometimes when I'm too lazy to look up the number.

metromom
03-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Great post. Just wanted to say that I had the same exact dilemma and went with the Baby jogger city Series over the Bob. The fold, the accessories, and the adjustable handle is what did it for me. We absolutely love it.

AnnieW625
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
How often does REI have these 20% off coupons? I am not a member, but I'd be willing to become a member just to get 20% off on a jogger. We won't need the double until at least August though (we plan on getting carseat adapter bar too).

Also thanks for the comparison. We'll most likely get the Rev or the Ironman though because I do like to do a little jogging, and 5Ks, and the BJCED isn't for jogging.

SarahNC
03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Annie, I think REI only does it once a year so don't miss out! I used Bigcrumbs. I think it is 6.5% (but I can't remember) and had them ship it to my store for free. It is only $20 (one time fee) to become a member and then you get money back (it is a co-op). I did use my sister's member number though. I would ONLY buy the revolution b/c the front wheel swivels. I heard the fixed ones (in any brand) is a PITA! BJCC and BJCE are not for jogging so that makes an easy choice for you!

metro, it WAS a hard decision. I still wonder if I made the right one. But at the end of the day I don't really need all the accessories (though child tray is nice) and the handle was comfortable for me (DH rarely if ever has taken her for a walk) and I admit it I did think the BOBs were cooler looking. But the BJs are GREAT strollers and I am sure I would have been happy with one of those as well.

Watching, DD tries to escape whenever she can. *eye roll* she is WAY too independent!

WatchingThemGrow
03-26-2009, 02:09 PM
How often does REI have these 20% off coupons?

When I was in the store last week picking up a Burley wheel (that's what we'll use for jogging as it is a single or a double) the checkout guy/mgr. was telling the customer in front of me they are doing the 20% off thing 4x/year now. It used to be more limited, but I think they've loosened up with it, because it does seem like they are available every few months.

SarahNC
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Oh that's awesome! I guess the bad economy is good for one thing!

AnnieW625
03-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Coolness! I am hoping to get a double Bob jogger or something similar, but I don't know if I am having a shower or if family (grandparents, and aunts) will want to give us a new gift for the new baby so it's nice to have other options!

purpelina
03-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Just a quick note about REI coupons:

they do offer 20% off about every couple of months or so, but strollers (especially BOBs) are often EXCLUDED Brand! The coupon at the moment IS accepted towards BOB purchase (or baby jogger), so snap on!
On the other hand, about twice a year REI has BOB sale, when they offer 20% off BOB strollers (around July/august, and then Jan/Feb). So plan on this in the future.
Membership is required, but is only $25, and you earn 1% cash back with it most of the time, so pays for itself rather quickly.

SomeoneLikeYou
04-15-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't actually have my BJCE yet (will be here tomorrow by 3:30!!) but I too was deciding btwn Bob Rev AW and the Elite. The reasons I went with the Elite were the adjustable handlebar, taller seat back, looooove the magnetic peekaboos!, adore the sun canopy (even tho Bob's is def great, too), like the kick plate, and honestly I prefer how the Elite looks. I actually also like that it's a bit narrower and of course, that fold!!! I can't wait to post again once I get it :)