PDA

View Full Version : 16" Bikes

megulis
03-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I am not happy with the selections at the local TRU, so I was wondering which "brand" bikes I should look for. (i.e., Diamondback, Raleigh, Trek, etc.) From the recommendation of this board, I had my 5 yo son in a balance bike. (We bought it 1.5 years ago, and he has never shown an interest! However, he has been on it a 3 times this past 2 weeks for 30 minutes or more; we kind of forced the issue. One of his friends has a 16" bike, and he was able to balance on it for a few pedals when he was on it about 5-10 minutes yesterday!)

So, I would love some recommendations. He is the oldest of 3, so we won't mind spending a little extra money, but I don't think we want to spend over $200. Also, did you buy it locally or online? Anywhere there is a deal?

TIA!

KrisM
03-26-2009, 11:48 AM
We bought DS's 16 inch at a local bike shop last year. It's a Trek. I think it's the Jet model. He had the same model in a 12" for his first bike with training wheels. We've been happy with them so far. DD is now using the smaller one.

Tondi G
03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
We JUST bought DS a Diamondback 16" bike this weekend! He has been eyeing this white/green/black bike for months... every time we went into the store he would ride it around. His birthday in early May and we decided to just cave and buy it early. His 12 inch bike was WAY too small for him... he needed a new bike. We like it well enough. He has ridden it up and down our block and hit the coaster brakes and made skid marks (he loved that)... just having a blast with it!

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/youth/rm16-09/

That said we also bought a nicer quality bike for our older DS 1.5 or 2 years ago. It's a 20 inch (he's 7). The brand is Giant (model is frantic) and it is a really nice bike. Just another brand option for you! I don't think you can go too wrong with a bike store brand as opposed to one from TRU or target.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/kids/2301/32243/

My neighbors son has this bike from REI and they seem to like it too

http://www.rei.com/product/760882

MMMommy
03-26-2009, 01:32 PM
DDs got their Specialized Hotrock bikes from a local bike store, and they are solid. Highly recommend them.

WatchingThemGrow
03-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Have you looked at the Trek Float? It converts from a balance bike to a regular bike. Even though you already have the balance bike (which can go to a sibling, right?), it might give him the "thrill" to get on it and go, then you'd still bypass the whole training wheel thing.

hillview
03-26-2009, 02:51 PM
I'd go to a bike shop and get him fitted and try some. I like Trek.
/hillary

mommytoC
03-26-2009, 10:35 PM
/hillary

I agree...we took DD in to "test-ride" bikes; our favorites were Specialized and Trek. We ended up with the Specialized Hotrock...it was a bit lighter, and easier for DD to ride.

megulis
03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
TY! I guess the consensus pretty much is trek, so I got one! It was between a trek and a raleigh since I would've had to special order the Specialized without trying it out. I got the Trek Jet 16.

Thanks!

Sugar Magnolia
03-27-2009, 05:01 PM
All of us have Specialized and I really recommend them.
But I would take your ds to a bike shop to try them out first.

Nooknookmom
03-27-2009, 05:22 PM
/hillary

I agree. DD1 loved her Trek and while they do cost a little more $$ they are well worth it in workmanship and ease of use. DD couldn't pedal the cheaper brands very well.

niccig
03-27-2009, 06:44 PM
I agree. DD1 loved her Trek and while they do cost a little more $$ they are well worth it in workmanship and ease of use. DD couldn't pedal the cheaper brands very well.

This is true. DS had a balance bike and now a 12" specialized hotrock without training wheels. He got on a friends 12" bike with training wheels and he was having difficulty pedaling the bike. And he easily rides a couple of miles with us on his bike without training wheels.

lmintzer
03-27-2009, 10:09 PM
We've had 2 Trek Jets here (a 12" and a 16") and loved them. We're ready to move up to the next size this year!

megulis
03-29-2009, 10:55 AM
My DH bought the Trek Jet last week. He said there was a guy there who said the bike went through 4 kids. The tires were pretty worn, and the bike didn't even need a tune up. I love things that are built to last!