PDA

View Full Version : BJCMD vs. BJCED Last question before I buy, I promise...

Dragonfly2009
03-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi WatchingThemGrow, or others with these 2 strollers. Someone is buying my P&T tomorrow morning. I am going to order one of these strollers tomorrow morning as soon as I get cash in hand.

I've been harassing DH whether or not 39# is too heavy for me to lift on a daily basis. I went to BRU to check out similar weight strollers for comparison last night. Spent an hour there but I really couldn't tell for certain because there weren't anything really similar enough. There is no where here for me to check it out in person.

I'm 5' 4 and am not the strongest person, but I think I'm okay. So, is 39# really all that heavy for an everyday stroller? In and out of a CX-9? Or should I play it safe and just get the 26# BJCMD? Please consider that this will be my everything/everyday double stroller.

Thank you for taking your time again to answer.

Melaine
03-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I have the BJCSD (it's MD is Jan '07 so it's slightly older) and I just posted because I am sending in a warranty claim for a broken part. I am kind of wishing now that I had gone with the BJCMD instead because of the weight difference (although my thinking was the height would make it worth it). It is extremely heavy. If I had to lift it out of my trunk or something I would probably have an asthmatic fit. Fortunately, I can roll it right out of the back of my van. It is very heavy, but other than that I love it. I am wondering how they will handle this warranty issue, which will definitely solidify my opinion of BJ (so far it is very good).

Dragonfly2009
03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks. I have another couple of hours to ponder this:)

love_a_latte
03-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I have the BJCED, and while it is a beast when folded, it is totally woth it. I have pushed it all over the place, through snow, mud, grass and road construction and it has been great. I don't think that the smaller wheels on the BJCMD would be able to handle quite as much. If you don't ever plan on leaving pavement it would not be an issue, but for us the wheels (and other features) are worth it.
Also, think of the amazing arms you could have ;)

WatchingThemGrow
03-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Remind me again where you'll be using it...

outdoor walking, trails, through grass, sidewalks, places where you'll have more gear (need more storage) ----Elite/Classic

inside stores, mall, doctor's office, quick trip through Marshall's ---Mini

My 2.9 yo looks pretty big in the seat of the Mini, but the Elite seems to fit her better.

FWIW, REI now has the Elite on their website, and you can order it to be shipped to the store. The 20% off member's coupon is good for another couple days, I think..

Dragonfly2009
03-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the responses. WatchingThemGrow, this will be our everything stroller: Spring/Summer: amusement park, sidewalk walking, parks; Fall/Winter: mostly malls and grocery stores. I found a deal on the BJCED now for 419. So the price between the MD and ED is only20!

TwinFoxes
03-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi - just poking my nose in. I saw a similar price for the BJCED, and noticed it was last year's model. I called BJ and asked if there were any differences between last years model, and this year's other than the color choices. They said color was the only difference. I actually like the older color scheme better (especially the red.)

I'm having the same dilemma you're having. I'm leaning toward the BJCMD because of the 12 fewer pounds. But then I think of the pneumatic wheels and the included parent console on the BJCED and I get torn again!!:wink2:

fivi2
03-27-2009, 07:53 PM
I have the older BJCSD - the classic maybe? I bought it in 06. Not sure of the weight, but it is one of the heavier ones. I don't mind it at all. I store it in my car (Honda CR-V) so I have to lift it in and out every time I want to use it (and it has to go up to get in and out). It has never been an issue for me. I am also 5 4 and definitely not a weight lifter :)
I love this stroller - it has been my one and only (after the double snap and go). It is difficult in some stores, but I have never seen a double that is great in them!

Dragonfly2009
03-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi TwinFoxes, LOL that is my dilemma also. I love the bigger more comfy wheels and the included console! If only I know for certain that those darn extra 13# wouldn't be a burden to lift. I've polled all my friends...even those without children and the split is 50/50. I decided to wait until DH get home to harass him some more about which to buy (he doesn't really care too much b/c I will be the primary user). I don't have twins but would love to know what you decision will be. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one sitting on the fence. Unfortunately, my fingers are itching to buy. I've noticed that everytime I'm pregnant, I am buying a new stroller.

WatchingThemGrow
03-27-2009, 08:06 PM
I've noticed that everytime I'm pregnant, I am buying a new stroller.

If your oldest is 43", I'm going to vote for the Elite, just because then you'll have the option of switching up the riders more comfortably.

When I'm not pg, lifting the BJCED out of the back of my CRV isn't an issue at all. It is SO much more of a comfy stroller with the wheels, the console, etc.

ETA: My DH prefers the Elite because the push is smoother.

Dragonfly2009
03-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Fivi2, you are definitely pushing me towards the BJCED :) I just really wanted to know if people can lift this stroller as an everyday stroller without difficulty. DH is watching his wallet and is only really concerned that I will hate lifting it and want to get rid of it and buy something else. He really isn't into strollers

Dragonfly2009
03-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Okay. Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to go with the Elite. I will report back if it's too heavy for me whenever it gets shipped to me and we can take it out for a test run. I'm so excited!! Another stroller :cheerleader1:

TwinFoxes
03-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Okay. Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to go with the Elite. I will report back if it's too heavy for me whenever it gets shipped to me and we can take it out for a test run. I'm so excited!! Another stroller :cheerleader1:

Well I went with the BJCM double, so we can compare notes! All the way home I was doubting my choice (and driving hubby nutso!) I almost took it back. But in the end, the 12 fewer pounds won out. I have a Jetta right now and getting it into the trunk was pretty easy, but I'm glad the stroller wasn't heavier. If the weight doesn't bother you, I think the Elite is the better choice, because of the pneumatic wheels and the included parent console. With tax and the console, my Mini was almost as much as one of last year's Elites.

Dragonfly2009
03-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi! Congratulations on your new stroller! I can't wait to get my stroller too. I sincerely hope the 12or is it 13# won't be a big issue. Did they have the elite at the store you went to? Did you try lifting it? Hehehe, I had a Jetta too. I loved that car.

huskermama77
03-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Congrats on your stroller purchase! I know you already purchased your stroller, but I was just curious if you had considered the BJCCD?

Dragonfly2009
03-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Thank you :) I did briefly consider the classic b/c it was 5# lighter. But overall I liked the look of the elite much better, plus it comes with the parent console ($29 value and I really see myself needing this with 3 DCs). The price difference as far as I know is $20 for the 08 models. Other than those 2 reasons, I seriously can't think of anything else I didn't like about the classic.

huskermama77
03-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks! Maybe I will now put the BJCED in the mix. Where did you order yours from?

TwinFoxes
03-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi! Congratulations on your new stroller! I can't wait to get my stroller too. I sincerely hope the 12or is it 13# won't be a big issue. Did they have the elite at the store you went to? Did you try lifting it? Hehehe, I had a Jetta too. I loved that car.

Too funny, because I notice you have a CX-9, which is the car I'll be trading up to!

The place I bought from didn't have the Elite, just the classic and the mini, so I never got a chance to try out the Elite. But I think the classic and the Elite are the same length, and the classic felt a little bulky for me. I'm fairly tall 5'8", but it just felt a little too big. It pushed like a dream though.

Dragonfly2009
03-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Huskermama77, I ordered it from sndkids.com. I believe they are the cheapest online. I should be getting it by the end of the week or early next week. I ordered the red/black.

TwinFoxes, so far we like our CX-9 but the kids LOVE it! They really like the extra space. I honestly didn't think they would have such a strong opinion about the car but they do. They also wanted the bigger stroller instead of the smaller (CMD) one. Go figure. I'm a little anxious now that you mentioned than it was bulky for you and you're so much taller. But let's hope it works out for me.

Otherwise, what else can I sell to cover the purchase of a lightweight double so my DH won't kill me:confused: