PDA

View Full Version : Turning a Breech Baby

elbenn
03-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Does anyone have any tips for turning a breech baby? I am 34 weeks and baby B is breech.

justincase
03-27-2009, 03:28 PM
These are all things my OB suggested I try (disclaimer: nothing worked as we didn't realize DS was actually firmly STUCK that way...)

1. Put a bag of frozen peas on baby's head; baby might turn to get away from the cold.
2. Put a flashlight on your belly right where the baby's head is and slowly slide it down; baby might turn to follow the light.
3. Have someone (DH) read to the baby from down below or call to the baby from down below; baby might turn to get closer to the voice.
4. Lie on something (an ironing board?) leaned on the stairs or couch so your feet are higher than your head.
5. Sit on a balance ball and rock your hips gently from side to side.

I can say that I would not *personally* recommend 4. despite what my OB said as it was extremely uncomfortable for me -- like frighteningly so -- to get into, be in, and get out of that position, even with help. The rest were pretty harmless and DS seemed to at least attempt to respond to 2.

Also, if you live in an area where there is a reputable acupuncturist, mine says she can usually turn a baby in one acupuncture session.

GL!

lorinick
03-27-2009, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't even attempt it. NO Way! He likely is there for a reason. I've had two Vag. del. but would oppt for a c section before trying to turn my baby. I'd hope baby would turn on it's own. But if not than a c is the way I'd go.

frgsnlzrds
03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
DD had me scared out of my mind that I was going to have a c-section. The night before my appointment for the doctor to manually turn the baby, I laid on the couch with some pillows under my butt and begged my baby -aloud- to please turn. LOL It sounds funny, but I googled how to get your baby to turn and one peice of advice was to assure your baby that it really is okay to be born and they should turn to make it easier. Yeah, it sounds really funny writing it down for you. Also, try putting a radio...near down there. The sound makes them curious. Good Luck.

Oh, after I checked into the hospital and started the IV, the dr. did another ultrasound and she'd turned. It was my lucky day!

Momof3Labs
03-27-2009, 06:17 PM
OP, might want to edit your post so that people realize you are talking about twins here. I think that it is a lot more complicated with twins since you want to keep baby A in position (the one closest to your cervix and perhaps even engaging at this point) but still flip baby B. You can check out spinningbabies.com but I don't think that they mention multiples on there. I might be wrong though - I hope that I am!

justincase
03-27-2009, 08:21 PM
OP, might want to edit your post so that people realize you are talking about twins here.

:oops: Oops, my bad, totally didn't see that this was in the multiples forum (I usually just read all new posts no matter the forum...) and I interpreted Baby B to mean a B name, not like A and B. :duh: So sorry! In that case I agree with PP that you might want to let well enough alone. What does your doc say?

twowhat?
03-27-2009, 09:26 PM
I did not did not did not want a c-section but both of my babies were breech at 26 weeks and never turned. My OB was totally fine with delivering if baby B was breech, but 2 breech babies - the cons started to outweigh the pros. If your Baby A is vertex and baby B is breech, you might see if your OB is willing to deliver breech.

My OB could tell I was really disappointed about having a c-section - these are my first (and only!!) babies so I would never get to experience "giving birth", I was afraid of the surgery and recovery, etc etc. But he said one thing to me that made me feel better about the ENTIRE thing:

"You babies will find a position which is most optimal for their growth. So if that means heads up, then you want them to stay heads up!"

And I carried them to 38 weeks and 2 days, both weighing well over 6 pounds.

Good luck!!

mamaoftwins
03-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Is your A vertex? How does your doc feel about it? My Baby A was vertex and B was breech. Before my delivery, we discussed c/s vs vaginal at length, and decided to try vaginal with a low threshold for c/s if that makes sense. We also discussed turning B once A was delivered. When it came down to it, A delivered pretty quickly, and we just wanted B out as quickly as possible, so I delivered him breech, my doc pulled on his feet and I pushed. My doc was high-risk and had a ton of experience with vaginal multiple deliveries, so we were both comfortable with the prospect of delivering a breech baby. I won't say it wasn't tense in that room though! ;)

Kindra178
03-28-2009, 10:33 AM
My Baby B was breech one week, head down one week, breech the next. (He's a great roller now too!). Anyway, I delivered Baby B vaginally with a breech presentation with a very experienced high risk ob. He came out feet first. The doctors all told me that it's fine for B to be breach because A paves the way. It turned out that he was really high and they had to pull him down and it got a little hairy, probably about ten minutes from a c section. IF you have an experienced ob, there is no reason why you can't try a vaginal delivery.