PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my dog to stop licking baby's face?

kimberley-k
03-27-2009, 11:59 PM
The subject pretty much says it all...how do I get my dog to stop licking my 10-month-old son's face? I am tired of yelling at her or clapping my hands loudly in front of her face, because I don't want my baby subjected to it (since he is right there when I do it).

ETA: She does not stop licking when I yell "Nikki - NO!" That's why I'm looking for a more effective solution. I suspect when he starts talking, DS will assume her name is "Nikki-no" :)

-Kim

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-28-2009, 03:01 AM
No idea. I gave up... BUT, our Ped say it is really good for the immune system!:boogie:

jayali
03-28-2009, 07:16 AM
You don't. I gave up as well and figure that since Matthew was always going to grow up with a dog he would have to get used to what dogs do. Once I let go of trying, it didn't really bother me as much.

Momof3Labs
03-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Teach the dog to do something when she approaches the baby so that she can't lick. For example, teach her to lie down in front of the baby with enough room in between so that her tongue can't hit his face. Yes, requires some training, but it's worth it - I can guarantee that when little friends visit, they won't want their face licked by a strange dog.

ThreeofUs
03-28-2009, 09:55 AM
I couldn't stop it, either.... But it's nice to hear you have such a loving dog!