PDA

View Full Version : Buy stroller for WDW or rent? xposted on strollers board

firsttimemommy
03-28-2009, 10:46 AM
We almost NEVER use strollers anymore (boo hoo!) but we're going to WDW at the end of April and I know I will need something for that. (DD is 6 - 43" and 40 lbs - and DS will be 5 - 40" and 40 lbs- when we go).

I have an MBUD, but am so NOT bringing that monster for airline travel. I'm frankly sick of that thing anyway (I hate putting it in the car) so it's going up for local sale as soon as I can get around to it. But I digress...

So, I am trying to decide between buying an Inglesina or Mac Twin Triumph ($199) and just checking it on the plane (or gate checking?) and then selling it when I return. There is a small chance I might keep it, esp if I sell the MBUD, as we live near 2 major theme parks, but we don't go very often.

My other option is renting from orlandostrollerrentals.com for $100 for the week. No lugging the stroller with me during travelling - yay! I'm not worried about a stroller for the airport since my kids are older and will hold onto my bag or my hand. We also got lucky and got NONSTOP flights, so no changing planes - double yay!

What would you do?

JTsMom
03-28-2009, 12:14 PM
One other option that might be worth checking out is the stroller swap on disboards. I don't know any of the details, but I *think* it might be slightly less $.

firsttimemommy
03-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Good idea - although I can't find it on DisBoards....does anyone know where it is?

firsttimemommy
03-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Never mind - found it! Although none for my dates though :( I'll keep an eye out and still consider the rental vs. purchase then sell option.....

JTsMom
03-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Sorry, just saw your ? now. Have you checked to see what type of resale $ you can get on the strollers you're considering? Assuming it's 75% or so, I guess you just have to decide how much the hassle of selling it and dragging it down there is worth to you. We took our P3, so I'm not the most helpful when it comes to stroller rental issues. LOL

firsttimemommy
03-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for your replies Lori - yes, I've about talked myself into buying one (I had stroller fever super bad back in the day, so it's not hard) and just reselling. Heck if I like it I may just keep it awhile in case we go back in the next year or so.

My Dad lives there now, so it's hard to justify NOT going when we have no lodging or car expense and many of our meals will be taken care of too!!!

Although I wonder if those City Doubles that orlandostrollerrentals uses might be 1000 times easier to push big kids in than a Mac or Inglesina SBS double would be. I know that "ease of use" will be a big deal for me while I'm there b/c I will be alone with both kids most of the time (at 77 my dad doesn't "do" Disney)

:)

JTsMom
03-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Yes, you're definitely right about the ease of use- that's key imo. I'd say easy to fold up would be important too, b/c there are a few times when you'll need to do that (getting on the train for example). We did it a lot b/c we used Disney transportation.