PDA

View Full Version : do you have a TV in your bedroom?

nfowife
03-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Just curious. We don't, and never have. But, most of my friends do seem to have one. There are occasionally times I think it would be nice to have DD come in bed with me in the a.m. (DH leaves for work very early) to watch Sesame Street while I doze a bit longer, instead of all going to the family room while I try to get comfortable on the couch :) .

Nooknookmom
03-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Yep, if not I would *never* get an hour of just sitting there relaxing watchig DIY. Literally the only time I get to watch tv is in bed after 10 pm.

LarsMal
03-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Our master bedroom steps down into a sitting room. We have the TV set up in there, with 2 chairs. I can watch it from my bed, too, but we mostly watch it while sitting in the chairs.

The playroom is in the loft space outside our master, so we use the TV in our bedroom as our main TV and rarely watch the one in our family room.

StantonHyde
03-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Nope, never had, never will. We only have one TV downstairs. I have enough issues with insomnia. My kids are not crack of dawn people, so TV in the am isn't an issue for me--I use it at lunch or dinner so I can get a break but I am up then. Now my kids are 6 and almost 4. In the last 2 months, they have discovered weekend cartoons. And, I must admit, I thought--why didn't I do this sooner :tongue5:

daniele_ut
03-29-2009, 03:52 PM
We don't, and we don't plan to. We only had one TV in our house until recently when dh bought me one for the kitchen. I really prefer that our bedroom be a place of rest.

maestramommy
03-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Our house has only one TV and it's in the family room. We've never had TV in our bedroom. Dh has this thing about the bedroom being just for sleeping (and other, ahem, related activities:p), although we do read a little before going to sleep. I never grew up with more than one TV in the house, so it's not strange to me. I have friends who have a TV in their room and it's always ON, even if no one's in there. That's strange to me.

3blackcats
03-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes, we have a tv in our bedroom and love it. Tivo is hooked up to this tv and we like to watch something together before going to bed. My husband has horrible insomnia and this is the only way to help get his mind calm before sleep.

kozachka
03-29-2009, 04:05 PM
We don't have a TV in our bedroom right now but we used to. DH would love to be able to watch TV while in bed. I prefer to keep TV out of the bedroom while DH would have TV in every room in the house if he could. We do have another TV in the kitchen since he likes to listen to news while cooking.

I watch TV shows on my laptop so I can always bring TV with me if I wanted to ;).

frgsnlzrds
03-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Nope. TV before bed leads me to less restful sleep. I also read somewhere that couples with tv in the bedrooms have less sex.... Why chance it, kwim? :ROTFLMAO:

wendibird22
03-29-2009, 04:08 PM
No, never have. Our main tv is in our family room and we have a wicked old tv of DHs in our bonus room which is only ever on when one of us irons or has to watch something other than whats on the main TV and isn't being DVRd. DH has suggested a tv in the bedroom a few times, but hasn't pushed for it and I really don't want one there.

brittone2
03-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes, but that's our only TV and it keeps it mostly out of sight, out of mind for my kids. It isn't my ideal, but DD still cosleeps and nurses to sleep, so I will pop on the TV after 10pm when I'm semi stuck with her ;) For my bday a few months ago I got my first nice booklight (Lightwedge) and now I read a lot in the dark instead.

eta: back to add that our one and only TV is a 13 incher LOL. Not flatscreen. At least it is in color ;)
When we moved into our current house we gave my parents our 32inch TV. DS was really young and we knew we didn't want a TV in our main living space, so they currently have it.

SnuggleBuggles
03-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Yes, but I only watch it when cleaning or if dh is monopolizing the tv downstairs. The kids don't watch in there.

Beth

khm
03-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Yes. The ONLY way I can tolerate putting the laundry away is if I can watch TV. ;) I hate putting the laundry away. I bribe myself with "junk" TV that I normally wouldn't watch. (Oprah, Greys, etc)

It's a teeny tiny TV that we had extra, if it ever dies, I'll probably just get a TV-radio. I wonder if they'll be making new TV radios for the DTV conversion....

My husband has never once watched that TV. Sometimes we let the kids wind down and watch a show before bed on a weekend night. But, we just never even think to watch the news on it, it's a non-issue.

geochick
03-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Never have. Never will.

lisams
03-29-2009, 04:18 PM
We do, but DH and I don't use it. I use it in the AM when I'm getting ready/taking a shower so DS can watch PBS and I can keep an eye on him. We also use it when DD is sick, I let her lay in my bed and watch tv. It's a very small tv, but I'm glad we have it for those two things.

I do not like watching tv in bed unless I am sick.

caleymama
03-29-2009, 04:23 PM
No, we don't. We only have our one main TV that's in an armoire in the living room.

hillview
03-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Nope. DH would NEVER have one.
/hillary

salsah
03-29-2009, 04:26 PM
nope, never have. i would like one but we don't have space for one.

WatchingThemGrow
03-29-2009, 04:59 PM
nope. never will. but....i do like having one there when we're on vacation!

hez
03-29-2009, 05:14 PM
No.

We had one in our first shared apartment. I joked that I fell asleep to and woke up to ESPN every day. DH used the timer on the TV & had it set to come on with ESPN... It was too much for me. When we moved to our house, we jointly decided not to put a TV in any of the bedrooms. 9 years later, we both agree that it was a good decision.

tarahsolazy
03-29-2009, 05:20 PM
We're committed to being a one-TV household, as we both grew up in. We have an old 27 inch TV in our family room, and will keep it until it dies. We do think the new flat screen ones are pretty, though, when we visit people with post-ice age TVs.

ThreeofUs
03-29-2009, 05:38 PM
No, never. We don't have cable or anything like that anyway....

s7714
03-29-2009, 06:01 PM
We do, but it's not hooked up to our satellite, so the only thing you can watch on it are videos. We use it once in a while if I need to take a shower and don't want to leave my 3 1/2 year old unattended downstairs.

And on occasion if there's a lot of fighting going on between my DDs, I'll give up and throw on a video downstairs and a different one upstairs so I can separate them for a few minutes!

KrisM
03-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Yes, but that's our only TV and it keeps it mostly out of sight, out of mind for my kids. It isn't my ideal, but DD still cosleeps and nurses to sleep, so I will pop on the TV after 10pm when I'm semi stuck with her ;) For my bday a few months ago I got my first nice booklight (Lightwedge) and now I read a lot in the dark instead.

I like that idea!

We only have 1 real TV and it's in the family room. We can watch TV on our laptops though, and do occassionally.

DebbieJ
03-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Yep, if not I would *never* get an hour of just sitting there relaxing watchig DIY. Literally the only time I get to watch tv is in bed after 10 pm.

^^^This. DH is not too happy about it, but I love it.

bubbaray
03-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Yes, its pretty much used exclusively while either DH or I shower in the morning.

ETA: I've used it when on bedrest or when very sick (mastitis, various icky illnesses, rotovirus, etc). Its also handy during NHL playoffs and the Stanley Cup. Sigh. It d/n have HD or DVR, though, just a regular satellite box, so if I want to watch something I've DVRd, I have to watch it on the HD set in the family room.

infomama
03-29-2009, 07:20 PM
nope. we did pre kids but never really watched it then.

maestramommy
03-29-2009, 08:43 PM
We're committed to being a one-TV household, as we both grew up in. We have an old 27 inch TV in our family room, and will keep it until it dies. We do think the new flat screen ones are pretty, though, when we visit people with post-ice age TVs.

LOL! Same here! We never knew our TV was behind until we saw the digital flat screens at the Best Buy! I never knew how sharp the picture could be before that. It was in fact, a revelation, but since we got our digital converter box the picture on our TV is actually a little sharper.

momtoonegirl
03-29-2009, 08:55 PM
We have a TV in our bedroom, and mostly it is on Noggin for DD's occasional "visits".

gobadgers
03-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I never had a TV in my bedroom growing up, or in my adult life before DH. He couldn't live without one, and while I didn't like the IDEA of it, I have to admit that I find it pretty convenient now. It functions as our alarm clock - we wake up to the news instead of beeping, and if DD had a rough night and is up early (or, for that matter, if I'M really tired) she has come in to watch Sesame Street in bed with me.

DrSally
03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
No, I think it promotes poor sleep hygiene. Not saying it wouldn't be nice at times though.

wellyes
03-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Nope, and no plans to, one TV is MORE than enough!

Having said that, I do enjoy lounging in bed watching TV whenever I find myself in a hotel. But to me that's kind of like the hotel swimming pool -- an occasional treat only.

elliput
03-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Currently, no, but we did many years ago. The only time we had it on was in the morning to check the weather.

amandabea
03-29-2009, 10:51 PM
We don't. I always had one in my bedroom when I lived alone and when DH & I moved in together, we had one. But not since then. It would be nice for sick days, but I don't miss it otherwise. The TV is on too much in our house - if DH is home, the TV is on.

MelissaTC
03-29-2009, 11:29 PM
We do. We watch the news in the morning. Sometimes we will snuggle in bed and watch a movie. We had it out of our bedroom for about 8 months last year due to home renovations and then our house being on the market and we are glad to have it back.

s_gosney
03-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Yes we do. I used to watch it more, but now I just browse online. And we used ot use it more when dd was cosleeping to buy some extra time in the morning. The one in our bedroom is rarely on now. The one in the living room is *always* on...drives me crazy.

HannaAddict
03-30-2009, 01:22 AM
We don't, though we did in our former house. We don't generally miss it, though when I had this crummy cold it might have been nice.

kijip
03-30-2009, 04:29 AM
We do not now and normally do not but when I was sick with this pregnancy and in bed a lot, we moved the family tv in here to give me some thing to do. It stayed here till Finn was 6 or so weeks. Then it moved out again.

I have a strong preference for no tv in the bedroom so as to not have the noise and the distraction in a restful space. Also research shows couples tend to be more intimate with each other when there is no TV watched in the bedroom, kinda interesting.

Octobermommy
03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes we do,much to my dh dismay. My dd and I snuggle and watch cartoon in my bed while my ds naps in the morning. I snooze a little extra if I am tired and I am tired all the time now.

mommylamb
03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
We have one, but it is rarely ever on. I probably wouldn't miss it if we got rid of it. DH turns it on sometimes in the mornings when he's getting ready for work becuase he likes to watch Morning Joe on MSNBC. I'm an NPR person, myself, so I do radio while getting ready for work.

HIU8
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Yes. DH and I usually watch something together before going to bed (it's our only down time together lately). Plus, DH has been sick and has to take some meds and stay in a lying down position for 30 minutes with each med. He would go nuts if we didn't have a TV in the bedroom. The only time DD or DS are allowed to watch in our bedroom is once we are all up and DH and I are getting dressed.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Ok, I must be the odd man out but we have one and it is on often. I like to think of it as birth control.

jamierush
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
No TV in our bedrooms, even when I was single I chose not to do that, except when I was in college.
No real reason, except that I have never liked to fall asleep with teh TV, and would generally just have the radio on when getting dressed if I need some music.

Nooknookmom
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Ok, I must be the odd man out but we have one and it is on often. I like to think of it as birth control.

ROFL...unfortunately DH can multi-task all to well ;).

Corie
03-30-2009, 02:56 PM
No. We've never had a TV in our bedroom. I remember watching an
old Oprah episode and the sleep expert said to keep the TV out of your bedroom.

I don't have any sleep issues but my husband struggles with sleep.

boolady
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, we do. We didn't at our apartment, but when we moved into our house, we had my old 13" TV and DH's old 24" (?). One is in the family room, the small one's in our room. We don't have it on every night, and it's rarely on in the mornings (usually only 1-2 times per week when DD wakes up while I'm still getting ready for work and will watch 15 minutes of Sesame Street). Most nights, DH and I read or do the crossword puzzle together instead of TV.

DH works at least one night per week until midnight, and I really enjoy the TV in our room the most those nights, because after DD goes to bed and I do all of the things I need to do downstairs, it's cozier for me to shower and put on pjs and watch some HGTV or Food Network in bed rather than downstairs alone.

ETA: The TV in our family room is rarely on...DD doesn't watch TV other than the occasional 1/2 episode of Sesame Street, and we don't watch TV when we're home with her.

mariadm
03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
I have a tv in every bedroom in the house, including the den - but not in dd2's room. I love my tv in the bedroom. I don't have to bother to shut it off incase I fall asleep in the middle of watching it. I time it and off I go:sleep: I always had one...I could not go w/o one!!

smilequeen
03-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Yeah, we have one. I keep it in an armoire so I can close it off. It was great for the newborn days, constantly nursing in bed. Kept me company for some of those longer middle of the night feedings. I don't love having one in there, but it comes in handy. I like it if I'm sick or to get a little extra time in the mornings when DH is out of town and my older son sleeps in my room. It's a cheapo nothing much of a TV.

rebeccaravit
03-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes, but its for the kids. I put Sesame Street on in the morning while I take a shower.

Other times its on while I am cleaning the upstairs bathrooms or dusting/vacuuming/straightening up and I want them out of my way.

My husband sometimes puts it on in the am when he's getting ready for work, but its never on when he and I are upstairs.

On occasion, when there is some "big game" on that conflicts with one of my big shows - Grey's Anatomy or LOST, then I go upstairs to watch what I want but then go downstairs to the family room when its over.

kransden
04-01-2009, 01:41 AM
When dd was a baby she would rarely sleep unless one of us was holding her (GERD). So i watched a lot of TV in bed.

Now I watch tv during the day in the bedroom when I am doing laundry. It makes folding clothes bearable. I am not sure how 3 people make that much laundry!