PDA

View Full Version : How old before ds can go on a "big boy" swing?

neeleymartin
03-29-2009, 08:25 PM
we recently got a playset (fort, slide and swing area) free!! :ROTFLMAO:awesome. looking to get some accesories for the swing part. there is space for 3 things. we were thinking about a toddler swing(bucket style), a regular swing, and a tire swing (horizontal).

my question is: when can a toddler use a regular swing like the one in the link below? it says 2+ but need real life advice.

http://tinyurl.com/cbjml9

tia

KrisM
03-29-2009, 08:34 PM
It'll depend on the kid. DS1 was great about sitting right and hanging on and has been on that kind since about age 2. DD is just getting to that now and she'll be 3 soon. Last summer she was in the bucket.

Also, my kids love to swing and to go high and DD was not about to hang on tight enough to go high on the regular swing last year.

maestramommy
03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't think it's the age as much as their ability to stay on without assistance. Dora is 3.5 and she still wants to ride the "baby swing." She has occasionally ridden the big kid swing, but then we hardly push her. On the baby swing she can go super high, which is her preference. :p

WatchingThemGrow
03-29-2009, 08:50 PM
At almost 3, DD can sit on it, but I don't trust her to hang on. She LOVES the old LT airplane swing from Craigslist. We also have a blue LT infant swing. I like having 3 different stages (and we have things to move to later- like a 1/2 bucket, trapeze bar, etc). Having several for smaller kids is great for when we have playgroup and all the LOs can swing while the mommies talk!

AngelaS
03-29-2009, 09:35 PM
My girls start using swings like that by age 2. We have a CedarWorks tho and their swings are a softer fabric seat that curve up around the child more which I think helps them feel more secure.

hellokitty
03-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Another one to say that it depends on the child. My oldest is five and now comfortable enough to use it (but has fallen off from it too). My 3.5 yr old likes to try it, but makes me nervous.

justlearning
03-30-2009, 12:05 AM
We got that same swing from Little Tikes (but a better deal) when DS1 had just turned 4. He was completely fine sitting on it then but took awhile before learning to push himself on it.

DS2 turned 3 a few months ago and can sit on the swing fine without falling off but could still sit in a toddler swing too at this point. He sometimes seems to get more scared sitting on the "big boy" swing when I push him than he does when he's in the toddler swing. I think it will still be awhile before DS2 can swing by himself.

Nooknookmom
03-30-2009, 12:06 AM
DD2 is 22 months and can sit on it for a few minutes and even started pumping her legs to go faster. I stand beside her the whole time though, in case she lets go!

Happy 2B mommy
03-30-2009, 12:45 PM
DD is 28 months and sits nicely and holds on while I push. But she is also tall (38-39) inches.

hillview
03-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I feel like it was around 3 years old. DS #1 wasn't that interested in swings -- still isn't so didn't practice a lot over time etc.
/hillary

neeleymartin
03-31-2009, 10:15 PM
DD is 28 months and sits nicely and holds on while I push. But she is also tall (38-39) inches.

interesting. i wondered about size of the child. our 'little' guy is 37 inches tall at 21mos. he is a giant. wondered about balance on a swing.

can anyone else comment on this? tia

MartiesMom2B
03-31-2009, 10:17 PM
My new 2 year old likes the big kid swing. She refuses to go in the "baby" swings.