PDA

View Full Version : help - transitioning to crib from swing!!

LKMang
03-29-2009, 09:11 PM
My DS is 3.5 months old. He currently sleeps in his swing for most of the night, then I co-sleep him after he wakes up in the middle of the night. He will sleep a various # of hours each night before wanting food (last night he slept 6 hours straight, first time he did that!). He naps horribly, usually about 4 naps a day for 20-30 minutes each. These are done either in the swing or on the boppy next to me on the sofa.

When he gets to be 4 months old, I'd really like to start the transition to the crib. I know it is gonna be tough. Does anyone have any tips? I feel like we developed a lot of bad habits due to pure exhaustion (sleeping in the swing, relying on the bottle to get him to sleep). I've started reading a couple sleep books and would like to try NCSS, but am willing to try other techniques once he gets a little older. I was thinking of trying to start his naps in the crib but am worried that he won't sleep at all. He gets SO cranky when he is tired, I'm worried it will mess with his night sleep.

Nechums
03-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I was in a similar situation. I read many books and tried a few different methods, but I ended up driving myself crazy becoming obsessed with his sleep/nap schedules and timing. I finally gave up and just let nature take its course. We put DS in his crib at 4 months and he was not a happy camper. He woke up every 2 hours (after having slept at least 5 hours at a time in the swing or PNP). I tended to him (sometimes feeding him, sometimes not), not letting him CIO and then after a couple of weeks, he started sleeping straight through. Just like that. He must have finally learned how to put himself back to sleep and has been sleeping "like a baby" ever since.

I'm not saying that this will work for every baby (maybe we just got lucky), but I really believe that all these methods out there can drive a mom crazy.

Anyway, hope this helps! Even if it doesn't, just know that it won't be forever and things will quiet down soon!

jenny
03-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Does your child like to sleep in the swing at night b/c it's in motion? Or do you turn it off after a while?

Our daughter didn't nap very well at 3 months...so hang in there. It takes time to adjust. She didn't really start getting into a rhythm until 6 months.

She used to nap on the couch during the day while we sat with her because she wouldn't sleep for a long period of time anywhere else. But soon, we moved her to the crib for her naps. (At night, she was in our room in a bassinet).

Then we moved her to her crib to sleep at night.

Now she won't really sleep anywhere for a long period of time unless it's her crib.

jolie
03-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I was just going to post the same question! My LO is 2 months old and also sleeps exclusively in his swing until ~5 AM and then co-sleeps in our bed. He wants all his naps in the swing as well. We got into this habit when he was 2 weeks old b/c he had a cold and could breathe better propped up in the swing.

Here is what I'm doing--no idea if it will work: he really like the mobile in his crib so we spend awake time there everyday to get used to it. I also place the boppy in the crib and we play there.

Today I placed his bouncy seat in the crib (under the mobile), turned on the swing music and bounced him to sleep for a nap. I can't believe it worked--he's been asleep for almost 2 hours. I hope to do this everyday for a few days then turn off the swing music and use the mobile music and eventually lose the bouncy seat and have him nap in the crib.

LKMang
03-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Thank you all for the great advice!

Nechums – I am also going a little crazy reading up on sleep methods! We are definitely willing to deal with a few rough weeks until he gets accustomed to the crib. My DH is planning on taking a week off (after DS turns 4 months) so we can try the transition without him having to worry about functioning at work.

Jenny – I think he does like the motion, I’ve thought about trying to have him sleep in the swing without it on. I’m thinking I’ll start to try naps in the crib first since he doesn’t nap that good anyway.

Jolie – I like your plan!! Does your LO like to sleep in the bouncer? I haven’t tried it in a while. Hope it works out for you!!