PDA

View Full Version : Age for a bike trailer

KrisM
03-29-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't remember - how young of a child can go in a bike trailer? I want to get out on the bike, but I'm thinking DS2 is too young. He's 8.5 months and is strong - sitting at 5 months and is now pulling up and cruising, if that makes any different.

Can I take him yet on paved paths?

MontrealMum
03-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Age for helmet is 1 yr. - so if you want your DS to wear a helmet, the age for the trailer is 1 yr. also. I would not let mine anywhere near a bike w/o one, but I've seen lots of kids around here w/o. They have to be a year before the neck is strong enough to support the weight of the head + the weight of the helmet.

elektra
03-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Our trailer (Burley) had an age of 1 year as the minimum, per the directions. DD walked at around 13 months, but wasn't particularly "strong" with head and neck control, or overall coordination at an early age. She is little too. We wanted to try with her at around 9 months (Christmas, when we got the trailer) but she just wasn't ready. It was just after her 1st birthday when we took her for a short ride but she was probably more ready at around 15 mo or so.

KrisM
03-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks. I'll wait. I might give it a try in a couple months, but more likely will wait until he's 1. I do have the kids in helmets in the trailer...it's just been so long since I had an old enough kid and wasn't too pregnant to ride!

WatchingThemGrow
03-30-2009, 08:15 AM
IKWYM about it being a long time since you've ridden. I got ONE ride in before being pg again.

DH took DD around 1 year (waaah, the whole time) and all that summer, but it really got to be more acceptable for her around 18 mos. DS went into the bike seat MUCH earlier - maybe 9-10 mos IIRC and had much more fun. So...we found the seat to be better for the younger ones and the trailer to be better for the older ones.

We picked up a NIB Topeak seat on CL for $35!

KrisM
03-30-2009, 08:18 AM
IKWYM about it being a long time since you've ridden. I got ONE ride in before being pg again.

DH took DD around 1 year (waaah, the whole time) and all that summer, but it really got to be more acceptable for her around 18 mos. DS went into the bike seat MUCH earlier - maybe 9-10 mos IIRC and had much more fun. So...we found the seat to be better for the younger ones and the trailer to be better for the older ones.

We picked up a NIB Topeak seat on CL for $35!

Did you do a helmet at 9-10 months? I did check and our helmet says age 1.

I'm not sure I have the balance for a seat and a trailer! I'd still have DD in the trailer and DS1 could ride on his own bike.

WatchingThemGrow
03-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Guess I didn't read the helmet. The bike shop sold it to us when DD was one, so we stuck it on DS before he was 1. DH has the seat on his bike and the trailer can go on either. He can do both, but I've never tried. I wouldn't want to risk it.

MontrealMum
03-30-2009, 11:51 AM
You'll probably have a hard time find a helmet to fit a child that isn't yet one. It's an industry standard that they are made for 1 and up. Unless your child has a bigger than average head or you alter it to make it tighter, it won't fit properly - and, of course, that defeats the purpose of the helmet. I did lots of research on helmets after our first visit to the bike store in anticipation of getting out with DS in the early spring before his 1st b-day (which is Aug.), and was shocked to hear that if you want a helmet, you've got to wait until the age of 1. I, too, had thought he would be OK around 8 mos or so since he had good head control early and was an early walker, but in the end it wasn't a chance I was comfortable taking.

If you google around you will find some sites about altering helmets to fit smaller heads with lots of disclaimers about it being your choice, but being exposed to the kids my mom teaches - many of whom were not born that way - there was no way I was going to risk a head or neck injury to DS.

I hear you about waiting to ride - especially when we had such beautiful spring weather the other day. I can't imagine what it's like for you when you've been pregnant on and off for a few seasons.

WatchingThemGrow
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Our smaller helmet is the Giro MeToo. It was sized for DD at 1, with her larger head, but we did use it with DS and just adjusted it ourselves. Thanks for the info Molly. Didn't know...

KrisM
03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
You'll probably have a hard time find a helmet to fit a child that isn't yet one. It's an industry standard that they are made for 1 and up. Unless your child has a bigger than average head or you alter it to make it tighter, it won't fit properly - and, of course, that defeats the purpose of the helmet. I did lots of research on helmets after our first visit to the bike store in anticipation of getting out with DS in the early spring before his 1st b-day (which is Aug.), and was shocked to hear that if you want a helmet, you've got to wait until the age of 1. I, too, had thought he would be OK around 8 mos or so since he had good head control early and was an early walker, but in the end it wasn't a chance I was comfortable taking.

If you google around you will find some sites about altering helmets to fit smaller heads with lots of disclaimers about it being your choice, but being exposed to the kids my mom teaches - many of whom were not born that way - there was no way I was going to risk a head or neck injury to DS.

I hear you about waiting to ride - especially when we had such beautiful spring weather the other day. I can't imagine what it's like for you when you've been pregnant on and off for a few seasons.

My kids all have 95th percentile heads :). It just might fit! but, I'll likely wait.

mumofboys
04-03-2009, 08:26 PM
You might check with your pedi and get his/her opinion on where your LO one stands, developmentally, in terms of readiness for biking.
Here is some helpful information regarding cycling and kids.
http://www.bhsi.org/little1s.htm
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~fine/opi...dcarriers.html
http://www.ibike.org/education/infant.htm

Of course no one wants to put themselves out there and say 'go ahead and bike with your baby' but I think that if you do your research, have your child evaluated, purchase proper and appropriate equipment... then you can make the determination of whether or not you want to assume the risks.

btw, specialized makes a 'small fry' helmet that is light-weight, adjustable to very small size, and is well-ventilated.

good luck!