PDA

View Full Version : Verizon..you sneaky jerks

infomama
03-30-2009, 09:26 AM
We have been getting these random data charges on our cell bill now and then for months. They range from $4 to .50 each bill, each line (we have three lines). We don't browse the internet or look for games/ringtones on our phones. It adds up! Today I called and found out that even though we pay extra each month for pix/flix/text package...when the pix/flix message is downloaded....you pay again. Apparently because the "network has to access the internet" to download the pix or flix message. Very backdoor IMO especially when we are already paying extra for a pix/flix package.

To top it off...the rep told me, "it really isn't that big of a deal." Uh..not your call to make there girly. If I didn't think it was an issue I wouldn't be wasting my time on the phone listening to you canned speaches.

Jerks.

hellokitty
03-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Wow, that really IS sneaky! I would be pissed too! My DH is thinking about switching from Sprint to Verizon when his plan runs out, b/c he gets a discount from his work, but now I'm wondering if that would be a good idea or not. I hate it when they try to sneak by misc charges like that w/o a good explanation.

ILoveLucy
03-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Oh that is maddening! The same thing happened to us with Sprint. It was a big deal because they were adding up to quite a bit of money. We finally had to check a box on the website where it completely disallows anything like that.

Of course, the next month, they were on there again. Sprint admitted we had disallowed that and took the charges off and it never happened again, which makes me think they knew all along they were doing it and were just hoping we would pay it and/or not notice.

I feel for you--spending time on the phone with the cell phone people is not fun!

ha98ed14
03-30-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't know if this will help some sprint folks, but I will just post it just in case...

We have sprint (2 lines) and we were getting the random bit charges for some picture mail that people would send. That part really did not bother me, but the total package was really expensive. We did not have a data package, so were were paying by the bit. We were paying upwards of $120 for 1400 minutes and unlimited texting. The max we ever used was 990. But there was not a plan with more that 800 minutes, so we would have to alter our usage which is hard because we do not have a home phone.

So I was prepared to change over to pre-paid cell and get a land line. I called sprint to tell them buh-bye and they offered me a retention plan that they have because of the lousey economy. 1000 minutes for $50 and texting for $10. So my total bill is now $60. I felt that was a pretty good deal in order to keep what I already had.

So maybe you can call and they will lower your plan costs and that will make the data charges not seem so much.... HTH someone.

katerinasmom
03-30-2009, 01:52 PM
We have the same exact problem with AT&T. And those "data usage" charges can really add up.

Snow mom
03-31-2009, 10:05 AM
That is so annoying. I specifically asked Verizon about data charges with picture and text messages last week when they insisted I switch to a data capable plan to get a new phone. They told me there was no data usage associated with messages but I'll be sure to check my bill. Of course the first thing I did on the new plan was block all data functions. Cell phone companies are so maddening. On that note, I found out last week at the Verizon store that I am eligible for a 20 percent discount because of where I work. Of course it would have been nicer if they told me this I dunno... three years ago!

Indianamom2
03-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Ooooo.........I started noticing this same mysterious "data" charge on my bill a couple of months ago too. I absolutely, positively knew I did not download any data or do anything other than make calls and text occasionally. Since it was a relatively new phone, I called and asked what the charges were for. The lady said that it was for V-cast and downloading and apps (or something else I knew I never ever, even once, did). So when I told her this, she asked if the phone had been out of my possession. I told her absolutely not. She kept grilling me, and I kept politely expressing my frustration.

She finally told me how to remove whatever was causing the problem (I didn't even know how to access it...that's how often I "used" this) and she refunded the charges for all the previous months, adding up to around $35...not small change.

Then the next month, I noticed yet another "new" data type charge. Again, something I had never used that was slipped in by Verizon that apparently had to be removed after the "free" trial period. Now, I do read my contract and I have been a Verizon customer for around 6 years or so, with other phones that had "free" trials that I never had to remove. I told the lady when I called (again) that I was not happy with the sneaky tactics and made certain that the trial was removed.

So call...it could make a difference....my bill is now almost half of what it had been.

Christina

Nooknookmom
03-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Oooooooh, I just went thru this crud with them. We switched from Sprint to Verizon at Christmas and I signed myself up for the whole shebang-vcast, text, etc. I got the new bill and all sorts of charges were on there.

An hour long phone call later, I had them remove them. Still it was a pain and one CSR had the nerve to belittle me by going over and over how the charges were my fault b/c I didn't know how to use my phone. Um, no sweetie, I do know how to use a phone and I know what I signed up for, thank you!

I do NOT like Verizon's billing policies and their CS is in the toilet as well.

Toba
04-03-2009, 11:17 PM
We have had the exact same problem with Verizon. Unfortunately, I hear bad things about all the carriers here. They really do find any possible way they can stick it to you, don't they?

JenChem
04-15-2009, 09:36 AM
ILoveLucy,
We are getting the same data charges from Sprint. We cruised around their website trying to find the disallow box but we don't see it. Do you remember where it was?

turtledove
04-15-2009, 11:25 AM
they offered me a retention plan that they have because of the lousey economy. 1000 minutes for $50 and texting for $10. So my total bill is now $60. I felt that was a pretty good deal in order to keep what I already had.

So maybe you can call and they will lower your plan costs and that will make the data charges not seem so much.... HTH someone.

Was this $60 for both lines? We have been considering switching carriers, but this would definitely work for us!

ha98ed14
04-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Was this $60 for both lines? We have been considering switching carriers, but this would definitely work for us!

Yes. $60 for both lines 1000 shared minutes and text messaging (unlimited). However, I do not think they are advertising this plan. I am already a customer for the past 11 years. I called them to cancel my service b/c my DH has to take a paycut and I had to find a way to reduce our monthly expenses. They offered me the $60 plan as a way to KEEP my business. It worked because I was paying $180+ per month. (Yes, I feel sick thinking about how much money I was throwing away.) However, I really think, based on the chatty conversation I had with the customer service rep, that this plan was developed because of the bad economy and people calling to cancel their cell plans, so it may not have been offered much before I called.

If I were you, I would call your CURRENT carrier and ask for customer service and tell them your sob story about the economy (cut your hours , etc.) and tell them you need to cancel your service and you plan to go with a pre-paid cell phone. They will probably transfer you to customer retention, who are the ones with the power to offer you something cheaper. The reason you have to tell them you plan to get a pre-paid (or switch carriers) is because they need to hear that you plan to STILL HAVE a cell phone at all. If they think you are just getting rid of it all together, then their is no incentive to keep your business because no one will get it; i.e. they are not losing you to the competition. It comes down to looking as you as part of the market share. As long as you have a cell phone, you are part of the market, but if you get rid of your cell phone, you take yourself out of the market. Get it? So you have to let them know you plan to stay in the market, but don't say it that way. Just say you plan to get a pre-paid. HTH.

infomama
04-15-2009, 01:28 PM
FWIW we have all data blocked on our phones. The only web access we have to to Verizon's site where you can check your minutes and that is free. Before I found out about Verizon's sneaky tactics I assumed DD2 was pressing buttons and connecting to the internet so I had it completely blocked. Even if you block all your internet access, your phone will still automatically access the network to download you message. You have no control over this and you will be charged for it. I suppose the only way to assure you wont be charged is to block pix/flix messaging also which we didn't want to do.