PDA

View Full Version : Wedding attire etiquette - can I wear a black dress?

CiderLogan
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
I have a family wedding to attend on a Friday evening in June. It is at a military base club. The invitations were black and white. I have no idea how formal it will be, although it's definitely not black tie or anything. So, my question is, can I wear a black dress? Or is that still considered inappropriate for weddings? On the one hand, it's in the evening and the invitations included black, but on the other hand, it's in the summer and it's a wedding.

If black is not ok, has anyone seen any fun dresses lately that would work? I would love to coordinate with some cute silver sandals I have....

TIA!!!!

vludmilla
03-30-2009, 01:55 PM
If wearing black dresses to weddings is a faux pax, I am guilty many times over. I would wear the dress you have and the nice silver sandals.

LarsMal
03-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I think a black dress- especially at an evening wedding- is completely appropriate.

g-mama
03-30-2009, 02:10 PM
The 'no black' thing for weddings has come and gone and is no longer considered to be poor etiquette. Entirely appropriate nowadays.

3blackcats
03-30-2009, 02:59 PM
My only concern would be since the invitations are black and white that the wedding colours are black and white. Meaning, the bridesmaids could be in black dresses. Other then that, it's fine.

SnuggleBuggles
03-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Black dress, silver sandals sounds good to me. :)

Beth

trentsmom
03-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I wore a black dress and red sandals to the last wedding I went to. Sometimes a black dress is the only thing you can find that looks good on you!

WatchingThemGrow
03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Yeah, the last two evening weddings I went to, I wore black. Unfortunately, I thought the last one started at 6:30, so we showed up and they were walking out. Oops! OT, but should I tell them when they come over for dinner???????? I feel horrible! Talk about a faux pas!

infomama
03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
I love wearing black to weddings. As a matter of fact I just bought this dress http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=46&pageId=1&productId=300112427&viewAll=true&prd=Strapless+Floral-Striped+Dress&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=35&catId=cat210002&cat=Dresses++Skirts&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size= to wear to a fancy evening wedding in Vegas next month.