PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of changing pad cover?

Nechums
03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I never seemed to understand the purpose of a changing pad cover? Is it to make baby more comfortable or to make the changing area more sanitary or just simply to look nice? We haven't been using one and simply wipe down the changing pad every so often. I doesn't bother DS and it doesn't bother us -- is there any need to purchase a changing pad cover?

maylips
03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I think it's mainly to look nice and be more comfortable for DC.

Ours is very soft and was better for the winter months when the plastic would have been very cold to our DD (in my opinion - I'm cold natured, so I wouldn't want to be placed on that naked!).

That being said, putting our cover on so much has ruined the actual changing pad, as the pad has to be bent to accommodate the fitted cover. But strangely, it's one of my favorite things in our nursery - I love how soft it is.

SnuggleBuggles
03-30-2009, 05:16 PM
I use it for looks and comfort. I actually lay down a cloth diaper in the diaper area so I don't have to wash the whole cover if it gets dirty.

Beth

gatorsmom
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
I use it for looks and comfort. I actually lay down a cloth diaper in the diaper area so I don't have to wash the whole cover if it gets dirty.

Beth

:yeahthat: I do the same thing. Well, I did when I used to change the babies on there. The twins now have to be held down when I change them so the changing table is no longer convenient. ;)

GraceH
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I never seemed to understand the purpose of a changing pad cover? Is it to make baby more comfortable or to make the changing area more sanitary or just simply to look nice? We haven't been using one and simply wipe down the changing pad every so often. I doesn't bother DS and it doesn't bother us -- is there any need to purchase a changing pad cover?
...to make more laundry! :bouncy: We didn't use one for 15 months, then the changing pad started cracking, so we bought one cover to use (it was cheaper than a new pad) - the pad we could just use Lysol wipes on occasionally, the cover needs to be washed :(

MommyinNC
03-30-2009, 10:03 PM
my problem was that without the pad cover, if she peed before the new diaper was under her, the pad would repel the moisture and it would roll under her back and get all over her and her clothes. with the cover, it absorbs the liquid as soon as it hits the cover and i don't have to worry about her clothes getting soaked. sometimes that split second between dirty and clean diaper is when she feels the urge to go!

Nechums
03-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I agree with the PP which is why I was initially going to purchase a cover, but then realized the problem would be solved by putting the new diaper underneath the dirty diaper before taking the dirty diaper off. The new diaper is there to capture the pee or poo that might come out.

I think I'm going to stay without a cover for now. At least until it starts to bother DS.

Thanks everyone!