PDA

View Full Version : Go to Dr. if I suspect flu (me)?

SnuggleBuggles
03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
I started getting sick yesterday and ds1 and ds2 have something too. We all have a yucky sounding chest cough but non productive. I have a 102 fever but the boys are ok in that regard. I am dead tired and have body aches. Would it make any difference to go to the Dr. or should I just let it run it's course?

Thanks!
Beth

infomama
03-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I would go get listened to...this is from the Mayo Clinic site and describes Viral Pneumonia

Viruses. About half of pneumonias are caused by viruses. Viral pneumonia tends to begin with flu-like signs and symptoms. It usually starts with a dry (nonproductive) cough, headache, fever, muscle pain and fatigue. As the disease progresses, you may become breathless and develop a cough that produces just small quantities of phlegm that may be clear or white. When you have viral pneumonia, you run the risk of also developing a secondary bacterial pneumonia.

tylersmama
03-30-2009, 06:29 PM
I would go, and here's why. If it IS flu, and it's early enough, you can get medication for it. If you wait too long, the medication doesn't work and it just has to run it's course. Also, it helps to have a diagnosis in case another family member comes down with similar symptoms. The fever and body aches are pretty good indicators that it could be the flu.

I had it in grad school, and it was the most miserable illness I've ever had. Our team doctor (I was a grad asst athletic trainer) banned me from the training room for 10 days.

Hope you feel better soon!