PDA

View Full Version : DS just got orthotics shoe inserts

SammyeGail
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM
My 3 yr 4 month old DS got shoe inserts a few weeks ago, they are plastic and wrap up around his heel (below ankle) and go down toward his toes to where his arch ends. When we first met with the Orthotic guy I showed him DS's Tsukihoshis, that the insoles came out, etc. He said they were great, he had never seen a shoe like that, the inserts should work great with them (DS has narrow feet already).

So they call back for an appt about his Orthopetic shoes, ummm, ok. He shows me what they look like, white and tan with some light blue accents. Big and bulky, but ok enough. I asked him why he needed these when he said the Tsukihoshis were fine with the inserts in them. He said these would be made with inserts already in them, something about it helping with insurance if he writes it up this way, bla, bla, bla, how dare I question him. He was not a very personable man, really rude when I called to ask questions. I had mono when he got his inserts so DH took DS and DH was given no instructions. I called them and he was just so rude. I still didn't get any instructions! I called my Dad and he told me what he was told about his shoes for his diabetes, so I did that, one hour 1st day, 2 hours the next, etc, etc.

So DH took DS today to get his orthopetic shoes. They come home and the shoes are white with a little navy trim. DS was crying, we thought it was because when DH picked him up from school he had just feel asleep so he was tired and cranky. I was commenting on how ugly the shoes were, then asked DH what instruction we were given--none. I saw DS get off the couch, try to walk and fall down. I took off the shoes asap. He seemed so relieved! (He has autism and is not talking yet, here and there, they say he does more and more at school!)

I was inspecting the shoes and realized they were not made with inserts in them, he just took the inserts we have been using in the Tsukihoshis and popped them in these shoes.

I am just so aggrivated. I did a search and found one parenting thread about inserts and these parents either went 2 sizes up and XW at Stride Rite or had to break down and buy the shoes special made for inserts (really, really wide shoes, so DS has way too much toe room in these).

Anyone have experience with ortho shoe inserts? I am not keeping these shoes they sent home today. I am calling them in the morning, these shoes are ridiculous. Who knows what they are going to try to charge us for them.

DH's company changed insurance to cut cost, so we have a $250 deductible for DS, then an additional $250 orthotics and prosthetics deductible.

I am also going to look for someone else for DS to go to for his future inserts. the reason I didn't go today is that I just can't stand the man, but he was recommended by the OT. But for someone to never give any kind of instructions is irresponsible, IMO.

Thanks for any advice and input!!!

Samantha
Mommy to 3 yr old twin boys
Noah, my little firecracker
Jonas, my sweetheart with autism

brittone2
03-30-2009, 09:33 PM
As a PT, most of the time we just have kids use their regular shoes (sometimes necessary to size up, etc.) with most forms of inserts. I hate to 2nd guess someone's else decision, but IME most kids just use a regular shoe (some work better than others, some don't work at all, but usually you can find some form of regular shoe that will work). The billing really varies.

Without a doubt you should have been given some sort of wearing schedule. If he didn't give you one, the OT may be able to give you recommendations. Gradually easing into a full day works best in many cases.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. Be sure to talk w/ the OT so they are aware...they may not want to recommend him in the future.

rlu
03-31-2009, 02:32 AM
DS wore orthotics for about 18 months. His sound similar to what you describe. We were told to get straight last shoes since DS has metatarsus adductus but ended up using regular shoes as close to straight last as we could afford since our insurance wouldn't cover straight last shoes (the sales person suggested calling our FSA company to see if the shoes themselves would qualify). Before the orthotics the pod had DS wearing his shoes on the opposite feet.

We eased DS into wearing them, just like your dad suggested, although I think we did "several" hours a day and then full-time.

Side note - an orthopedic surgeon examined DS and determine the issues are not just his feet but turning in his hips and knees and told us the orthotics would not help and that DS would adjust to his situation and we should bring him back around age 8ish for reevaluation if he was having difficulty. DS walks and runs fine as he doesn't trip anymore than any other 5 year old. My main concern is both his feet turn in and DS wants to play hockey and he'll have to learn to skate a little different and, if he wants, skiing might be a little tricky.

SammyeGail
03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the replies mammas!! Thought I would get more here, but thats ok. Spent over an hour searching last night and found a thread 3 pages long on a parenting board in Indianapolis, but that was the only one. Alot of parents went with Stride Rite XW sized up.

I called the main off and talked to the lady over billing, she was really, really nice. She said it was fine if I took the shoes back. They have a lot of orthos there so I can see someone else if I want. (Yeah!) That should be ok since his twin brother is probably going to start pre-school full time soon (sniff-sniff) but I know he is bored at home. He's very social and loves going to 'school' the 2 days he does go. Its best for him and I can spend one-on-one time with Jonas on his days out of autism school, Noah just won't let me do that, so it will help all of us.

Thanks again, we're going to stick with our Tsukihoshis : ).

Samantha
mommy to 3 yr old twins
Noah, my little firecracker
Jonas, my sweetheart with autism