PDA

View Full Version : Why does everything fun...

LarsMal
03-30-2009, 09:02 PM
have to end in tears and meltdowns?!?!

It doesn't matter how many warnings I give about something fun coming to an end...one, if not both, always manage to ruin all the fun that was just had!

I had them outside for quite a while this afternoon. They got to ride their little bikes around the cul-de-sac with the neighbors, do sidewalk chalk, etc. Then I told them we could go and play in the sandbox on the deck for a few minutes. I told DS that we could play in the sandbox for 10 minutes b/c it was getting close to dinner. At the five minute warning he decided to start dumping sand all over DD. I told him to stop or I would close up the sandbox and he'd miss his last few minutes to play. What did he do? He took an entire bucket full of sand and dumped it on her HEAD! AHHHHH!!! Of course she was wearing rolled up capri pants and a shirt with a couple little pockets, not to mention her hair. Sand was everywhere. I took her out and started to brush her off and told him to get out of the sandbox. What did he do next? He took an entire bucket of sand and dumped it on HIS OWN HEAD! OMG! I thought I was going to lose it!

I dragged him out of the sandbox- screaming- and closed it up. I tried to brush him off and told them we were going straight up for a bath. DD started jumping down the hallway (wood floors) while mounds of sand came pouring out of her clothes. I carried her up to the bathroom and DS, still mad that I made him come inside, decided to go running out of the house. (Let's not forget that I'm 34+ weeks pregnant). I went running downstairs and outside to get him, smacked his little hiney, and carried him upstairs. That's about the time I started to see stars and felt like I was going to pass out. Lovely! Bath time was horrid, but luckily dinner and bed went okay. I'm still dizzy and feel like I'm going to vomit, but at least they are asleep now and I can try to relax.

That's it, though, the sandbox is in time-out and I don't know if I'll do anything fun with them for the rest of the week. What's the point?! grrrr....so frustrated!

WatchingThemGrow
03-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Oh my goodness...I totally understand! We walked outside tonight and ended up playing in a neighbor's sandbox. Luckily the departure just had some screaming involved, but DD quickly jumped up and ran when she saw me walking away. A little sand between the toes should come off while they're sleeping, right?

You better just camp out with a little Curious George and Tivo for a few days. No more carrying kids up the stairs for you!!!

kransden
03-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, that's a horrible phase. No matter what we did, it seemed it ALWAYS ended badly. On the plus side, the insanity will end.
Until then, keep some adult beverages in the fridge. :54:

bubbaray
03-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Many hugs. Can you get help/reinforcements for tomorrow?? You were just on a week of bedrest -- you don't need this stress, even if its from your own DS, KWIM?

ha98ed14
03-31-2009, 12:43 AM
These are the days I want to install a padded cell in my house. I am not sure who I would lock in, myself or DD, but a quiet refuge where I could find some peace sounds like heaven. I hear you. Good job not exploding. Seriously.

kijip
03-31-2009, 01:39 AM
That is hard. Transitions were and (to a lesser extent) still are hard for T. I was frustrated to realize that *of course* this does not go on vacation when we do, so we pack up and fly to the beach and Legoland and have a child occasionally reduced to tears at the prospect of leaving anywhere fun. Glad we kept it to just the beach and Legoland because another attraction may have left me wishing I could have left him in CA.

hillview
03-31-2009, 06:52 AM
ARGH!! They do grow out of it!!
/hillary