PDA

View Full Version : Strollers with infant car seats.

Lila
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi,

I was in the carseats forum, and they advised me to come here. I plan to buy the Graco Snugride 32 (from Amazon, since Babies-R-Us doesn't have it and I can't register - well, they have it, but not in the pattern I want). And I looked at B-R-Us yesterday at the snap-and-gos and they seem like a waste. I want a stroller I can use for outside and when I go out and run out for coffee or to a story, I'd likely have my baby on me (in a sling or carrier) so the snap and gos seem mostly for indoor use. I'm having my baby in August, when the weather will still be nice, so I'm looking at the Graco Quattro.

I also like the Britax Marathon Convertible car seat for later, but since it'll probably be a year before I even use it, people are telling me to hold off on it.

Any stroller advise - nothing too expensive but something I can use with the infant car seat for 5-6-7 months (is that how long the infant car seats last?) would be helpful.

Thanks!

Beth_in_CT
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
I got the snugride and the baby jogger city mini. DD can go in the BJCM now either with or wothout the infant seat (we also got the car seat adaptor). I love that it will last well beyond the infant seat stage.
good luck!

lorinick
03-31-2009, 01:57 PM
The City Mini is great but I didn't use mine with my stroller. I used the Metro Lite by Graco that I really loved. It's small, light weight and easy to fold still has the great basket and cup holders and I still use that stroller. I agree with the pp on the car seat site suggesting the Quattro isn't the way to go. I differ on the car seat and registry. I did and would regisrty for the MA. You could alway return it and repurchase later or just keep it. Yes you'll need to buy a sesat sooner but you didn't pay for the first one if you got it as a gift. I got my BV and MA on my registry. Good luck with your choices.

AbbysMom
03-31-2009, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't completely discount the Snap 'N Go either. I LOVE mine. I bought it used on Craig's List for $20. I have back issues and a small trunk and it is so light and easy to use. I used it with my first a lot and still use it with my now 6 month old to get into the library, YMCA, etc with my older DD walking. Those car seats get SO heavy and it can sometimes add so much time to get your baby out of the seat and into a sling etc. And it is very difficult if you live in a cold region to transfer a happy, dry sleeping baby into something else to run into a store.

GraceH
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
I have my Graco SafeSeat (older SnugRide32) paired with the Graco Mosaic stroller and LOVE it!
I know travel systems get a lot of flack here, but I love my Mosaic -- it's lighter and more compact than the quattro, yet still takes a car seat (think glorified umbrella stroller) and they go for about $100. BRU has them in Jewel (brown & pink) if you want to see one IRL, but they are available in other color schemes too. Of course, if you want extra features (temp. gauge, etc.), the Mosaic doesn't have those.
Oh, and this has been my 'system' for 17 months and counting. Although, at this age, we use just the stroller without the car seat... (car seat stays in the car)

jenny
03-31-2009, 06:22 PM
If you're going to get the 32 pound max infant car seat, that seat will last you at least a year, if not longer.

My DD is 8 months and off the charts in height and weight and is over 20 pounds. We just used a regular graco infant carrier with a weight max of 22 pounds and so we had to move her to the Britax at 6 months. But some babies don't hit 20 pounds until they are 1 year. Eventually, even with the 32 pound safeseat, it's going to get really heavy to take it out of the car with baby, so you might just end up leaving it in the car and taking baby out.

For strollers, what are you looking for and what price range?
Do you want something that's really light, like 15 pounds max or do you mind if it's heavier, like 20 or 25 pounds?
Do you want a fast and easy fold?
Do you want a big sun canopy?
Do you care about the basket, if it's big or small?
What kind of manueverability do you want? One-handed push, easy to navigate small aisles?

Depending on your answers, we can suggest a stroller that suits your needs.

Lila
03-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Okay, so you guys think I'm good with the Snugride 32? (My baby is measuring big right now - I'm 20 weeks - and I just think I'm going to have a baby on the tall/heavier side) ...

Then I should register for the Britax Marathon and have it? I might use it at 6 months or 8 months, right?

And then as far as strollers - I feel like I'd mostly want one for outside. If I'm in a store, I'll probably put the baby in a carriage or a sling (if awake) - so I really want something for outside use. If the baby is born in August, I doubt I'll take her out much in a stroller for the first month - though I don't know - but I like to get out and walk or go to a store (and my town is walkable) - so I want something with decent tires. Everything I read about the snap-and-gos, the tires were falling apart. I, of course, don't want it to be too heavy - I would like a decent canopy over the top but just something simple and easy but more on the durable side.

If I use it longer, that would be great too; my understanding is that you have it with the car seat (put that into the stroller) and can also use it - when they're bigger - w/o the car seat, right?

salsah
04-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Okay, so you guys think I'm good with the Snugride 32? (My baby is measuring big right now - I'm 20 weeks - and I just think I'm going to have a baby on the tall/heavier side) ...

Then I should register for the Britax Marathon and have it? I might use it at 6 months or 8 months, right?

And then as far as strollers - I feel like I'd mostly want one for outside. If I'm in a store, I'll probably put the baby in a carriage or a sling (if awake) - so I really want something for outside use. If the baby is born in August, I doubt I'll take her out much in a stroller for the first month - though I don't know - but I like to get out and walk or go to a store (and my town is walkable) - so I want something with decent tires. Everything I read about the snap-and-gos, the tires were falling apart. I, of course, don't want it to be too heavy - I would like a decent canopy over the top but just something simple and easy but more on the durable side.

If I use it longer, that would be great too; my understanding is that you have it with the car seat (put that into the stroller) and can also use it - when they're bigger - w/o the car seat, right?

forget about putting the car seat in the stroller. get one good stroller with a full recline or a bassinet option so that you can put the baby directly in the stroller from day one. and if you really want (although you will never really need) to put the car seat in the stroller, most strollers will accommodate most car seats.

you said that if you are in a store, you will not use the stroller but rather a carriage. aren't those the same thing? and why wouldn't you take the stroller into the store? you can get a good outdoor stroller (an all terrain stroller with air filled rubber tires and suspension) that you can also use indoors. it is possible to have just one stroller. skip the snap and go, it isn't necessary and you will not want to go for walks with a stroller that has small plastic wheels.

buy your infant car seat now and then wait to buy the convertible when you need it. the first reason is that car seats expire. so the later you buy it the longer it will last (assuming you get a recent dom). you will also be able to make a better decision when the time comes. the marathon is a great choice, but your needs (and you understanding of your needs/likes/wants) may change by the time you need it and you may find that another seat will suit you better. so there is no point in rushing to get it now.

hth

pastrygirl
04-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Then I should register for the Britax Marathon and have it? I might use it at 6 months or 8 months, right?I would hold off on a convertible until you need it. Even if you get one now, it might be several months old. Add to that another 6 to 12 months for the infant seat use, and you've got a seat that's already lost a year or more of life (Marathons expire 6 years after the date of manufacture).

I also agree there might be a seat that you like better, later on! The True Fit came out after I'd gotten my Marathons, but I really wish I could try one. Right now, I'm thinking of trying that one after my Marathons expire, for the new baby in a couple of years.

Lila
04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Oh, woops. I meant "carrier" not carriage.

Lila
04-01-2009, 09:48 AM
By the way, Salsah, any particular recommendations?

jenny
04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Based on your answers Lila, I think you should look into the 2009 Baby Jogger City Elite, which has front wheel suspension. It has a huge canopy. You can fold it fast with one hand. And it lays down almost flat for when your baby wants to nap and if you no longer want to put the baby in the car seat when going out of the car since some moms believe keeping baby in the car seat all the time is bad for baby.

I would also invest in a good baby carrier for when you go into a store that has small/narrow aisles or just because your baby doesn't want to be in the stroller and wants you to hold him. I have the beco butterfly 2, which I love, but I know some moms like the ergo or mei tai and some moms really love the moby wrap.

Also, your baby may be measuring really big right now, but you never know. My baby weighed 7 pounds when she was born (which isn't really huge), but she ate a lot and my breastmilk had a lot of fat I guess b/c she's bigger than 99 percent of babies her age and taller than 99 percent of babies her age. KWIM?

The snugride 32 should last you at least 1 year if not 2 years.

Lila
04-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I was going to try the Moby sling for me and the BabyBorn for my DBF. (I'd get the beco, but seems my DBF would be better off with the BBjorn).

Is anything actually wrong with the Graco Quattro? B/c when I saw it in Babies-R-Us, I really liked it. I mean, I haven't actually used it, so it's hard to say, but it was inexpensive, and seemed durable.

How can I get away with a snugride 32 for two years? The baby would have to stay about 32 pounds, right?

Thanks again!

jenny
04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
I was going to try the Moby sling for me and the BabyBorn for my DBF. (I'd get the beco, but seems my DBF would be better off with the BBjorn).

Is anything actually wrong with the Graco Quattro? B/c when I saw it in Babies-R-Us, I really liked it. I mean, I haven't actually used it, so it's hard to say, but it was inexpensive, and seemed durable.

How can I get away with a snugride 32 for two years? The baby would have to stay about 32 pounds, right?

Thanks again!

I never owned a Graco Quattro, so I can't say, but it weighs 25 pounds without a baby in it, fyi. You're going to be pushing a 30-40 pound stroller with baby in it eventually. Something to consider. If $150 dollar stroller is your price range, then look into something lighter. Some moms here like the Graco metrolite. My friend owned the metrolite and hated it b/c it was heavy, but some moms really like it.

I would not get a bjorn either. I had one. I got the expensive $120 bjorn with lumbar support as a baby shower present, and even then, when DD got to be over 10 pounds, our shoulders hurt and so did our back. And you can only use it up to 25 pounds.

An ergo or beco lets you use it up to 45 pounds, lets you do a front or back carry and distributes the weight more evenly than a bjorn.

The 32 pound safeseat should last you at least a year, if not two years, because the average baby is 20 pounds when they are 1. My friend's baby is turning 2 in April and she weighs 25 pounds.

salsah
04-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Thanks again!

my 4 yr old is 50th percentile and weighs 32lbs. however she would have outgrown the seat in height a long time ago.

salsah
04-01-2009, 12:21 PM
By the way, Salsah, any particular recommendations?

based on what you are looking for, the first thing that came to mind is the baby jogger city series classic or elite. the mini is nice too but does not have air filled tires. for walks on smooth surfaces it will be fine. but if you plan to walk a lot, i would go with the classic or elite. they both have full recline (and you can get a bassinet), great canopies, the easiest fold you have ever seen, and decent storage. the 2009 elite has suspension however it is really wide, almost as wide as a double. another option is the mountain buggy urban. it is a great stroller with a full recline and a bassinet option. you can also consider strollers like the uppa baby vista. i like them for the reversible seat option. don't let the price of these strollers scare you away. there is always a way to get a deal. and the resale value of higher end strollers is very good so if you don't like the stroller you get and find that something else will suit your needs better, you can easily sell it and try something else. there are so many options out there. take a look at the bjcs, mbus, and vista. then lets us know what you like / don't like about them and then we can make further suggestions.

hth

Lila
04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh, but when you say the beco or other carrier are back and front - can the baby do back and front facing (in front)? I like front-facing in front best.

My friend's baby is 5 months and 20 lbs... so that's why I was asking about the snug32.

Lila
04-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Geez Louise that Uppa Baby Vista is EXPENSIVE!!!! But I like the look of that best. (The other one is a little too "sleek" looking for my taste.)

Metrolite doesn't impress me more than the quattro.

Why would I use the bassinet feature?

And I assume i can use the Snugride 32 w/the ubv?

salsah
04-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh, but when you say the beco or other carrier are back and front - can the baby do back and front facing (in front)? I like front-facing in front best.

for carries, look at the beco, ergo, and pikkolo. they are all similar, allow front and back carry and can be used for a long time (with heavy children), but the pikkolo is the only one that allows front facing.

Lila
04-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Oohhhhh... so the beco and ergo don't allow any front facing? Yeah, then they're out.

I was going to get a moby sling for me and a babybjorn for DBF... (but I didn't realize the weight limits on the bjorn).

jenny
04-01-2009, 12:54 PM
for carries, look at the beco, ergo, and pikkolo. they are all similar, allow front and back carry and can be used for a long time (with heavy children), but the pikkolo is the only one that allows front facing.

when you say front facing, do you mean with the baby facing out to people or having the baby in front of you?

The pikkolo lets you put the baby facing out to strangers, but some people say that it can freak the baby out if you do that when they're really young b/c they can't turn their ahead when they get sensory overload, KWIM? Also, some people say having the baby facing out to strangers is bad for the parent b/c it throws off their center of gravity and also bad for baby's hips...not sure though.

I got my beco on baby snazz for $99. There are some beco 1 on www.frogmama.com for $90.

The micralite Toro is another option for a stroller.

Britax car seats go on sale online in February and in September, so after your baby is born, you can decide if you want to buy the Marathon sooner or later.

pastrygirl
04-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Why would I use the bassinet feature? The bassinet is great if you are not going from your car. It's not good for infants to spend too much time in the car seat. If I'm walking from home, I don't use my infant seat -- baby goes right into the stroller. This next baby is the first time I'll have a bassinet, and I can't wait to use it! If the baby falls asleep on the walk, I can bring the bassinet inside. But at the mall, if the baby is asleep in the car seat, I like having the option to put the car seat on the stroller. If the baby is awake, I'll probably take him/her out of the seat and use the bassinet.

I've heard that the bassinets are typically outgrown at a few months... my roly-poly son probably would've outgrown it by 3 months old, LOL!

As for the Snugride 32 for 2 years, it will probably be outgrown by height before weight, before 2 years. You need to have an inch of shell above the baby's head when rear-facing. It's completely OK if their legs hang off the front. Since it's safest to rear-face to the limit of the seat, chances are your child's feet and legs will extend over the front for two to three years, if not more, before needing to forward-face.

Also, as babies get older, they prefer to sit more upright. Infant seats have to always be installed at 45 degrees, but convertibles can be installed more upright, to 30 or 35 degrees depending on the brand. I installed my convertible more upright starting at around 8 or 9 months (my son hated his infant seat, so I bought a Marathon when he was 3 months old).

ETA: I think I remember reading that a facing-out baby carry isn't a good position for babies, but I don't know too much about this. I think that's why most carriers don't really support the facing-out position, but I'm not sure. It might be worth looking into. :)

DebbieJ
04-01-2009, 01:25 PM

It is HUGE and HEAVY. My sister ditched hers for P3.

AnnieW625
04-01-2009, 01:49 PM

The Beco also allows forward facing front carry. Here is a link to their website with the options of use of the Beco. Unforunately none of the photos on the webpage show forward facing, but it can be done. I bought my Beco when DD was 21 mos. old to use as a back carrier and I really love it. I have never tried it with the Ergo, but I have seen friends use their Ergo front carrying too.

http://www.becobabycarrier.com/features-instructions.asp

Now as far as the stroller goes a friend of mine has been happy with her Metrolite. I didn't have a stroller that took a carrier with #1 (we had a used Peg Perego Pliko P3 when she was a small infant and then upgraded to Maclaren Triumph when she was 3 mos. old). I kind of wish I would've had one so when I was looking at strollers a few months back I found that I really liked the Uppa Baby so I started looking on Craigslist and found one and the seller was selling her car seat adapter bar so I ended up buying it. My DD is 3 and 37" tall and 30lbs or so and sits very well in the Vista and has headroom. We tried a few other brands (Bugaboo, Mutsy, Peg Perego, Zippy, Baby Jogger City Mini, and Quinny Buzz 3) and we thought she was the most comfy in the Vista.

Good luck and I am sure you'll find a stroller that fits your needs.

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2009, 02:25 PM
After using a Bjorn I thought that I couldn't do without the baby facing outwards feature but it really and truly is a non issue. Seriously.

I have a Metrolite. No way in the world could I deal with a Quattro. The Metrolite is just right. It has all the features of a full sized stroller but about 1/2 the weight. Believe me, that difference adds up. If cost is the issue then broaden your search beyond the Quattro. Do a search on here for that stroller and you will find many parents coming back when their dc is about 6m old and they are searching for a lighter weight stroller. We are just trying to save you from having to buy 2 strollers by suggesting that you steer clear of the Quattro.

My 16m old is 22lbs so I could still be using a 32lb carseat (provided he hadn't outgrown it by height).

Hold off on the convertible till you need it. If someone buys it off your registry, return it for gift cards so you can buy it when you need it.

I love my Beco. The Ergo might be a bit more "manly" for DBF. I liked my Bjorn pretty well till about 8m and then it started killing my shoulders. I bought the Beco and life is good. :) I have heard great things about all the carriers recommended in this thread.

Beth

Lila
04-01-2009, 03:28 PM
By forward facing, I meant the baby faces forward. But I guess it's too much of an issue. I figured, when I'm around the house trying to get anything done.

The Beco with an infant video seems VERY complicated - omg!

But I think I'll get the classic babybjorn or the ergo (heard better things about the classic) for my DBF and maybe I'll try the beco, but what about the moby sling for me?

Okay okay - no quattro! :) You guys sold me, but now I'm at a loss and still very confused about strollers. I like the looks of the Uppa Vista, but it's wildly expensive for me. And the peg pereggo isn't going to last me long?

Agh! I don't know! I really don't see myself needing a bassinet feature. I don't go to malls - I run in and out of a store, go to my sister's, my parents - likely the first three months, people will be coming to me, and I'll want to get the baby out of the house for walks. That's what I foresee as far as my lifestyle needs; I'm not doing a whole lot of vaccines at first so I don't want the baby out and about all that much anyway. After three months, it'll be winter in NJ and I don't see myself doing a lot of walking outside - maybe, if I can wrap the baby - but if anyone can give specific recommendations on these concerns with a price of under $400 and a fit with the Snugride, I'll be golden. Maybe I'll reconsider Metrolite.

jenny
04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Worst case scenario and you still don't know what you want to do, just go on craigslist and buy a SnapNGo for like $20 or something. I just did a CL search for central jersey and there are like 50 SnapNGo strollers for sale for under $30. Then, when you know what you really want, you can buy a stroller.

Fyi, the classic baby bjorn is worse than the bjorn with lumbar support. the lumbar support is supposed to be an upgrade to the classic. trust the moms on this board who tell you that it will cause you pain :D The beco looks complicated, but it's not. if you go to www.thebabywearer.com, the moms on that board will be better able to help you with a baby carrier and you can find a baby wearing group in your area where you can borrow a carrier and try it out before buying one or get help in how to use one after you buy one.

Lila
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
So what if I were just to get this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3420748

This:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3546629&fromRegistryNumber=97200762&product_skn=78918

This (for DBF):

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3359095&fromRegistryNumber=97200762&product_skn=222754

And skip the Marathon until we're ready to buy it?

Does that work?

(I just realized a "travel system" means nothing more than a car seat together with a stroller, which I'm buying anyway - so the travel system just saves money, right?)

Momof3Labs
04-01-2009, 03:57 PM
And the peg pereggo isn't going to last me long?

Why not? My 3yo can still ride in my P3 at Disney or whatever (we don't use a stroller any more at home) - it easily could have been my only stroller.

Lila
04-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Oh, it's just that I thought someone said earlier they couldn't use it after a certain time...

jenny
04-01-2009, 04:02 PM
So what if I were just to get this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3420748

This:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3546629&fromRegistryNumber=97200762&product_skn=78918

This (for DBF):

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3359095&fromRegistryNumber=97200762&product_skn=222754

And skip the Marathon until we're ready to buy it?

Does that work?

(I just realized a "travel system" means nothing more than a car seat together with a stroller, which I'm buying anyway - so the travel system just saves money, right?)

There's a reason why "travel systems" are cheap. The strollers are not made very well. It's like a buy one get one free deal.

Many moms like the moby, but I'm too uncoordinated to work a long piece of fabric and tie it around my body with a baby. If it works for you, awesome. It will get heavy to carry your baby around in a moby after he reaches a certain weight.

The baby bjorn air is the same as the baby bjorn active, with lumbar support, only it has mesh fabric and the straps are wider. The weight max on the bjorn is still 25 pounds. If you are thinking of spending $100 on a carrier, I'd encourage you to get an ergo or beco for your DBF so you get your money's worth b/c the weight max is 45 pounds.

AnnieW625
04-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Oh, it's just that I thought someone said earlier they couldn't use it after a certain time...

If you were quoting me I had a used P3 when DD was born and I could've used that stroller much longer than I really did (probably could now even with a 3 yr old!), but it was used and hadn't been well maintained and was kind of pain in the butt to deal with. So as soon as I could put DD in an umbrella at 3 mos. I bought the Maclaren Triumph (Maclaren also makes three other models that you can use from birth like the Quest, Techno XT, and the Techno XLR (which you can use with the snug ride 32 car seat bar)) because I just got tired of the P3. I am sorry for the confusion.

I think the products that you posted should work well for you! I like the Metrolite pattern you picked out and it's good to know that they make it for the SR 32 too. I had a Bjorn and have a bad back so I didn't use it much after DD was 4 mos. old and I went back to work. It was nice to have to use when I was doing housework or cooking when I couldn't get her to calm down.

I never tried a Moby because I am not coordinated enough to get all of the fabric in the right places! I do have friends who love them though. I'd definitely stop by a boutique and take a look a few of the options. I did try the Ergo on my back and it hurt my shoulders and back more than the Beco did. The Beco video (at least the CD I have) takes some getting used to, but overall once you get it's very easy to use. Also I have a med. blue fleur de lis print Beco and DH isn't bothered by the print either! He has been using the carrier more than I have actually.

Lila
04-01-2009, 06:35 PM
So the metrolite stroller (stand alone) and the metrolite travel system would be two different strollers? Do I register, then, for the metrolite (or quattro - whichever I decide) separate from my car seat to get a better quality stroller??

Momof3Labs
04-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I would skip the Bjorn for your DBF unless you determine that he really needs it, unless he will be primary caregiver for the baby. If he's only around evenings/weekends, he probably won't use it much, honestly. Definitely not $100 worth of use. There is a reason that there are a TON of Bjorns on eBay that are barely used for cheap $$.

I think that the Graco stroller that you get with the travel system is the same that you'd get if you register for it separately. Have you pushed one in the store with a couple of bags of flour thrown in (to see how it pushes when baby gets heavier)? Tried it on rougher surfaces? Tried folding and lifting it to gauge the weight? If the Graco is what you love, then get it, but there are so many other awesome stroller options out there that you are overlooking (esp if you are only stroller-shopping at BRU)!

GraceH
04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
no, the Metrolite strollers are the same in the travel system as separately.. although sometimes the fabrics are different patterns
Be sure to check that the Metrolite can get in and out of your car easily in addition to groceries and whatnot - keeping in mind that it has a 'suitcase' type fold (this is ultimately why I chose the Mosaic with its umbrella fold)

Lila
04-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi,

I have a Subaru wagon so shouldn't be too much of a problem - thanks for the tip on the carrier; maybe we'll wait?

If you guys can give me comparable-priced stroller options (I don't think I like the 3-wheel kind), I'm happy to consider them, but so far the ones people have recommended here are like hundreds and hundreds of dollars more. And I've heard so many good things about graco models. I know bbargains gave them a b, but so many reviews on amazon and bb-r-us just really love them with few exceptions. And I'm not getting what's really wrong with them. (Not to be smarmy, just honestly not seeing it)....

SnuggleBuggles
04-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi,

I have a Subaru wagon so shouldn't be too much of a problem - thanks for the tip on the carrier; maybe we'll wait?

If you guys can give me comparable-priced stroller options (I don't think I like the 3-wheel kind), I'm happy to consider them, but so far the ones people have recommended here are like hundreds and hundreds of dollars more. And I've heard so many good things about graco models. I know bbargains gave them a b, but so many reviews on amazon and bb-r-us just really love them with few exceptions. And I'm not getting what's really wrong with them. (Not to be smarmy, just honestly not seeing it)....

The reason so many people are happy (or happy enough) with their Gracos is because they don't know about the other choices out there. I would wager that many parents only go to big box retailers for their baby gear (BRU, Target, Walmart...) so they never get a chance to see the other strollers. If they are all you know then there is no reason to consider that other strollers might be better. They accept some of the common faults of the behomoth strollers because they think that is what all strollers are like.

Since you are having a big shower (as you said in another thread), if you like one of the $$ ones why not register for it? A lot of people like to go in together and get the big gifts so they might be up for getting you one of the other strollers.

Beth

codex57
04-01-2009, 10:35 PM
The reason so many people are happy (or happy enough) with their Gracos is because they don't know about the other choices out there. I would wager that many parents only go to big box retailers for their baby gear (BRU, Target, Walmart...) so they never get a chance to see the other strollers. If they are all you know then there is no reason to consider that other strollers might be better. They accept some of the common faults of the behomoth strollers because they think that is what all strollers are like.

Since you are having a big shower (as you said in another thread), if you like one of the $$ ones why not register for it? A lot of people like to go in together and get the big gifts so they might be up for getting you one of the other strollers.

Beth

I agree. My area has both. Those that only go to the big box stores (BRUS, Target, Walmart) and those that will trek the 30 min drive out to the big independent store that has the high end strollers. You see it at the mall or if you talk to parents who work for the big employers around here. Many who I've chatted with that have a standard travel system have total blank looks on their faces when I mention a stroller that's not sold at a big box store (same with car seats).

Yes, there are some who know what the better strollers are but are satisfied with the Graco type strollers, but they seem to be in the very rare minority. Usually, they're happy with it until they try out a nicer one and end up having gone through 1 or 2 cheaper ones before buying the fancier one in the end anyways. Can save money by researching beforehand and just finding the right nicer one in the first place (stroller frame is cheap and lets you buy time to figure out what your particular ideal stroller is).

DrSally
04-01-2009, 11:32 PM
I originally bought the Graco metrolight with the smaller snugride. When I got the Safeseat, it also snaped into the metrolight. It's a nice, inexpensive, LIGHT stroller. I think the Quatro is fairly bulky and heavy.

Lila
04-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Okay, so what about Maclarens?

jenny
04-02-2009, 12:04 PM
I have a subaru outback wagon and a Maclaren Quest stroller. It fits nicely in the back and allows me to have space for other things, like groceries.

I could be wrong but if you still want to use a car seat and stick it into a maclaren stroller, the only option you have is the Maclaren Techno XLR because that comes with a car seat adapter bar. Or you get a Maclaren Easy Traveller, which is a stroller frame, but I think you said you didn't like that idea b/c it seems a waste of money. Also, I'm not sure if Graco car seats fit in Maclarens ... someone else could chime in.

I guess if you don't want to buy the XLR, in theory you could stick the car seat into the Maclaren Techno XT b/c it reclines flat, but it doesn't have a car seat adapter bar...so if they sell it separately, it might be doable, but not sure.

Maclarens are well made strollers. Easy to push, easy to fold.