PDA

View Full Version : Updated: How's about Schools in Fresno? : Schools in Modesto or Lancaster, California

kusumat
03-31-2009, 04:41 PM
UPDATE: Thanks for all responses. Now, we consider Fresno one. Does anyone know anything about Fresno?

Dh has job offers in Modesto and Lancaster, California. Anyone is familiar with the area? Could you please tell me more about schools over there? Neighborhood? Experience? Real estate? Crime?

TIA!

elektra
03-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Not places I would ever want to live actually. No offense to anyone living there!
My friend's husband got his first Assistant DA job in Modesto after law school. They moved as soon as his requirement (not sure how it works exactly) was up and they now live in San Diego.
My college boyfriend's parents lived in Lancaster. You get a lot of people who want to keep to themselves for whatever reasons.
I think it's also an area being hit particularly hard by the recession too so I think the property values are really dropping.

DebbieJ
03-31-2009, 06:18 PM
I lived in SoCal for a while. I would choose Modesto over Lancaster, hands down.

elektra
03-31-2009, 06:28 PM
I lived in SoCal for a while. I would choose Modesto over Lancaster, hands down.

I didn't mention this in my post but a big :yeahthat:

Laurel
03-31-2009, 06:37 PM
I didn't mention this in my post but a big :yeahthat:

ITA, Modesto would be first, although I would honestly prefer not to live in either city.

Tondi G
03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Lancaster isn't great but there are places not too far from there that you might like to live.... your DH could commute to work. We have friends who live in Santa Clarita (about 25-30 miles away) and love it! I also have a friend who has a wonderful horse property in Acton and is super happy. Don't know much about Modesto!

Lancaster is about an hour north of Los Angeles... so there is lots to do if you don't mind a bit of a drive!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Neither would be my choice. Modesto has high foreclosure rates, some of the highest in the nation. My BIL lives in Stanislaus County, I couldn't live there. I moved from the SF Bay Area to Flagstaff, AZ. All the while my BIL wanted us to move to the Jamestown/Sonora area. Lancaster is growing quick, which can be problematic. I would consider water issues in both places, as CA is in a drought, as is most of the west/south west.

You really need to take a trip there. Stay for a week. Go to Costco on a Saturday afternoon, drive on the freeway during commute times, etc. Vacay like you live there.

You may want to check www.city-data.com
Just because it isn't my cup of tea, doesn't mean it won't be yours!