PDA

View Full Version : I hate hate hate this stroller! Help me find something else!

todzwife
03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
I got a Silver Cross V2 something off of schnoop for $35 shipped and I HATE it.
Here is what bothers me the most about it:
the cover won't stay on
the basket is tiny...and I can't hang my diaper bag off the back so I have to shove it in the basket.
If I hang ANYTHING off the back, it tips over when the kids get out
When it folds, the dirty wheels touch the canopy and get the canopy all dirty.

I like that it's fairly easy to push, even with my 40 pound 5 YO in it (he likes to ride more than his 3 YO sister does) and I love that I don't kick the back wheels. But that's all I like about it.

So start throwing out suggestions. I have my P&T when we go for long walks, this would be more for places like the zoo, mall etc. And I'd love a heavier weight limit for my 5 YO but really it's not essential.

GraceH
03-31-2009, 10:46 PM
What sort of features are you looking for?
At ~$100, I personally love my Graco Mosaic, and it doesn't tip with my bags and stuff on the back (although I imagine if I put 4 bags on it probably would), but is heavier than the silver cross (it also has the wheel-canopy contact, but I love it so much that I am willing to take it off and throw it in the washer occasionally)...
At a higher price point, maybe the BJ Citi Mini - love the look of the fold on that one, but the price scares me away...

todzwife
03-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Doesn't tip over if I hang my bag off the back (fleurville lexie tote)
Easy to push (one handed a plus, but not essential)
Folds up nicely. I don't have a huge trunk.
Able to push my 40 pounder a plus.
A good size basket since we usually end up bring food for DD

Not horribly expensive.

Also, I'd like something I can use with a new baby. Both of my strollers (cheap umbrella type) don't recline or accept car seats so either of those features would be a plus.

I was actually looking at the mosaic. Tell me more :)

todzwife
04-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Anyone? 82 views and only 1 reply?

arivecchi
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I love our Mac Triumph and it is perfect for zoo, park, car outings as it is super lightweight and folds tiny. It comes with a decent basket (not huge though), but you can buy the Mac organizer for about $20 and leave your bag at home. It comes with a carrying strap that comes handy for travel. I see big kids in Macs all the time, so they offer room to grow.

pastrygirl
04-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I like my Baby Jogger Mini for my big kid, but I'm not sure it won't tip if you hang a diaper bag from it. The basket is small, too. I just make sure to carry a very light diaper bag or backpack when I use that stroller. My other small stroller is an Uppa Baby G-lite, but I definitely can't hang a diaper bag from it. The basket on the G-lite is bigger/easier to access than on the Mini. I'm surprised at how much I can fit in there.

Even my BOB tipped with a very full diaper bag when my son got out, and that stroller is very sturdy! I had to make sure to offload some of the bag contents into the small basket when I used the BOB. I now have a Valco Rad and it seems like a workhorse, but I wouldn't buy one for a 5-year-old.

Bella's Mommy
04-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Get a Mac - you will love it. You may have still have it tip over with a heavy diaper bag hanging from the handles when the kids jump out (or try hanging the bag very low near the basket), and you could try a bag that hangs from the side (a pannier) instead. We have used the same Mac for 7 yrs and it has traveled with us everywhere, been dropped down metal stairs while being loaded into an aircraft, fallen out of the back of my SUV at least 20x, and been used and abused by two big boys - and it is still in great condition and folds like a breeze. I am looking for another umbrella only because I want something girly, but I wouldn't think of getting anything other than a Mac as my lightweight go-everywhere-go-to stroller.

todzwife
04-01-2009, 04:53 PM
DD has celiac disease so we end up bring a lot of food wherever we go (zoo, Disney, mall etc.) because it's hard to find things out and about that she can eat...which means that I need a basket or the ability to hang a large bag off the back.

The silver cross is a fine stroller if I don't hang anything off of it, so it's great for short trips, I need a more "all day" type of stroller.

I have a P&T but it doesn't leave the garage unless we are out for a walk...it takes up my entire trunk.

salsah
04-01-2009, 05:23 PM
would you consider something heavier, like a p3 or zippy? they aren't tippy and your 5 yr old will enjoy riding on the built in step.

todzwife
04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
I've been looking at both of those actually :) I don't mind heavy and/or bulky, we have a box for our luggage when we travel so space isn't a huge issue.

It's the price of those that is turning me off though. I'm not sure I can convince DH to spend that much on ANOTHER stroller. I was looking at the metrolite or the cortina (cortina has a wt limit of 50 pounds and my 5 YO is only 40)

GraceH
04-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I have been happy with my Graco Mosaic for 17 months and counting...
Handle capacity... I have had an Eddie Bauer mini coordinator bag loaded with stuff, plus my smaller purse (hobo bag style), plus another bag on the back just fine, but when we went to the baby expo and put nothing in the basket, but 7 bags of freebies, including baby food jars, it started to tip when empty -- but had I been smart and put some items in the under basket, it would have been fine - since it has the two handles, it's really easy to add/remove things - oh, and I like having a cupholder too
Newborn stuff... It does recline, although not quite to flat (pretty darn close - maybe 160?) I takes the Graco infant seats (I personally have the SafeSeat paired with it)
Size stuff... This fits in our car trunk in addition to DH's toolboxes and other stuff. It also has a narrow enough footprint to fit between most clothing racks. I have never felt 'in the way' with this stroller.
Drawbacks... The canopy is smaller like on any umbrella. It's not all-terrain, so I had some issues on the beach when camping. The wheels do contact the canopy when folded (what genius designed that? >( ), so occasionally I remove it and throw it in the wash.
OVERVIEW: At only $100 this has been my only stroller, and I am VERY HAPPY with my choice. It does have a few drawbacks, but they are not anywhere close to deal breakers for me. For my urban on-the-go, yet on a budget lifestyle, this was the perfect choice.
PS - BRU carries them in 'jewel', a brown & pink scheme if you want to see in real life.

todzwife
04-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks Grace :) I wish I had somewhere locally to check out different strollers but I just have a Wal-Mart or Target :(

DH is SET on the Baby jogger mini. He LOOOOVES how it folds up LOL!