PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed, please: comforter or Duvet cover

Hippoharbor
03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
I *finally* have completed my 4 yr old DS's bedroom makeover. We got rid of the Thomas the Train toddler bed and got a twin bed. I found really cute football player-themed sheets at PBK that are perfect with the color theme, DS's interests, not too-preschoolish. However, I do not know what to do for cover for his bed. I found a really nice navy blue Chamois Duvet cover. I LOVE how this feels...had PBK's chamois sheets for crib. It seems like it would already be a pretty heavy cover without putting anything (duvet) inside it. Could this be on a bed without using insert? Hope my question makes sense. I could get a solid-color comforter, instead, but I do not want to give up the softness of the chamois cover. Any suggestions or experiences with duvet covers?

Thanks,
Michelle

tiapam
03-31-2009, 11:42 PM
I bought a flannel comforter cover for DD's comforter. In the winter, I put the comforter inside, in the summer I store it and just use the cover. It is just the right weight. It sounds like the chamois one would be just right, though I wonder if it will be warm enough in the winter by itself?

salsah
04-01-2009, 12:56 AM
i think that it is fine to use it alone.

CiderLogan
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I find duvet covers annoying. So, on our bed, we just lay the duvet cover on top of our primaloft (down alternative) "insert" comforter and it's totally fine. If I put the insert inside the cover, it gets all bunchy and messy looking. So, I think your plan sounds good....you're just using the duvet cover alone. Sounds great!

justlearning
04-01-2009, 01:40 PM
We have duvet covers with comforters inside on both boys' beds. Personally, I like having the comforter inside of the duvet cover, but our covers are lighterweight--they're both cotton from PBK.

I'm so glad that we went the route we did using duvet covers instead of using just comforters. My boys oftentimes get stains on the duvet cover (e.g., from a bloody nose) and it's so easy just to take them off and wash them. I've washed both boys' duvet covers multiple times and they've held up great--I think a comforter would show more wear after so many washings (i.e., the stuffing inside would start to break down).

ETA that we now use a PB duvet comforter on the bed in our bedroom as well and have no problems with it shifting inside. What helps is if the comforter you put inside of the duvet cover has straps that you can tie around the loops made for those straps inside of the duvet cover. My sons' comforters don't have those straps, though, and they still don't shift much.

niccig
04-01-2009, 05:12 PM
We have duvet covers with comforters inside on both boys' beds. Personally, I like having the comforter inside of the duvet cover, but our covers are lighterweight--they're both cotton from PBK.

I'm so glad that we went the route we did using duvet covers instead of using just comforters. My boys oftentimes get stains on the duvet cover (e.g., from a bloody nose) and it's so easy just to take them off and wash them. I've washed both boys' duvet covers multiple times and they've held up great--I think a comforter would show more wear after so many washings (i.e., the stuffing inside would start to break down).

I agree with this. I've had to wash the cover more often than the comforter. I also made sure the comforter was machine washable - DS still has a few night accidents. I had to wash everything on his bed the other day...

amldaley
04-02-2009, 06:01 AM
I use the duvet cover by itself during the summer without a duvet inside. I can not imagine using a comforter and washing it all the time - they fade, get lumpy, etc. I love being able to launder the duvet cover just the same as my sheets.

The one you've found sounds nice. If your worried about summer, your DS can just fold the duvet down to the foot of the bed and just use the flat sheet. If you are lookinf for other place to get a solid color duvet that is lighter weight, try The Company Store or Overstock.com

When I was little, I would crawl inside the duvet cover like a sleeping bag...made my mother crazy!

jayali
04-02-2009, 06:36 AM
In DS room I use a duvet cover with insert, however, that is only for show. At night we fold it way down on the bed, because DS says it is too heavy. He is like his momma, who doesn't like anything heavy on her legs when she sleeps. Underneath the duvet I keep a light weight cotton blanket and he uses that throughout the year. I love your idea of just using the cover. I think it would be fine and quite honestly would probably stay on the bed better.

We switched to duvets and covers on all of our beds a while ago. I love that I can pull off the cover and wash them and hang the insert outside to air it out. I also LOVE that I can change the look of our bedrooms fairly inexpensively from season to season.

I say go for it.