PDA

View Full Version : Boy baby name poll

elektra
04-01-2009, 04:17 PM
DH and I have really not discussed names yet. He just doesn't want to deal.
Anyway, he has come home with a few names, and even though it irks me a bit that he just throws out two and we'll probably pick one of those, I actually like the names he has suggested.
So here is a short list including the ones he has suggested in addition to ones I just like myself.
What do you think? Any other suggestions? Our last name ends in an "ley".

Charles
Dylan
Rhys
Roman
Tyler

boolady
04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
How many syllables is your last name?

elektra
04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Our last name has two syllables.

MistieandMichael
04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Oooo and what is your DD's name? You may want to consider what sounds cute along with hers. You will be saying their names together for the rest of your life...

Do any of the names you picked so far have any special meanings? Like "Charles was my Grandpa's name"?

I've never been pregnant before, but the DH and I already have names picked out for a girl and a boy...and a couple back up names in case they come out clearly not looking like the name we're about to give them. Ya know, like if I have a girl I'm planning to name her "Lilliann Paige". Ok, well that all fine and dandy...but what if she comes out looking like a "Bianca" instead...you need a back up name! :) Or am I just crazy?

AnnieW625
04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
I like most of the names that put on the list, but I did pick Roman. Charles is a nice classic name, but your last name ends in ley do you really want a Charlie ----ley?

ilfaith
04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I voted for Roman, as it's a name I suggested for our own first son, but it was vetoed by DH.

Rhys would be my second choice...but while I prefer this spelling, your son may find himself having to spell his name frequently as Reese or Reece are also used. There is also the issue of popularity of this name among girls. In fact Reese was ranked #150 for girls in 2007, Reece was #424 for boys that year and Rhys was #898.

I do like Charles, and it has become surprisingly popular around here recently. There are a few little Charlies running around my boys' preschool. But it is a fine, classic name.

Dylan and Tyler seem a little dated (like 10-15 years ago) to me. (Sure enough, Tyler peaked at #5 back in 1993-94.) And Dylan is another name which has crossed over to be used by girls as well. Although it seems few boys names are safe from being stolen by the girls these days.

ThreeofUs
04-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I like them all, honestly. My only tweak would be what your last name starts with. Too much alliteration is ... too much! ;)

amldaley
04-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Dylan and Tyler are lovely, but fairly popular over the last few years.

I love Rhys and Roman.

I am biased towards Charles...it was my teddy bears name as a kid and DH's middle. But you'll have to battle "Chucky" as a nick name!

Veronica's Mommy
04-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I am all for classic, solid names. I voted for Charles. I don't think there will be a problem with your last name, his name will be Charles, not Charlie. Maybe if your last name was "Farley" or something that flat-out rhymed, I might think twice. Our front-runner name is Oliver Lee (first, mid), and I am not worried about 'Ollie Lee' cause that's not his name. :)
BTW, the baby name book I've been reading makes the point that today's parents tend to call their kids by their actual names. And if they want a baby Charlie, they'll just name him Charlie. Which I have noticed. The exception being family names.

BTW, what is the middle name?

misshollygolightly
04-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Good choices! I voted for Roman but also really like Rhys. (Incidentally, Jean Rhys is one of my favorite authors, though she's super-depressing. Anyway, very random.) Good luck choosing! Do you have a middle name picked out already?

pinkmomagain
04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I didn't vote because I can't decide between Rhys (I actually prefer it spelled Reece) and Roman. These were 2 names always at the top of my list for boys and since I've only had girls, never had the chance to use them. I think they are both strong, yet "different" names.

larig
04-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I picked Rhys (LOVE IT!) I liked roman, but I'm a big fan of the show Big Love and the super evil guy on the show is named Roman, so now I associate it with that guy. The show has ruined the name for me.

I have a very uncommon spelling/pronunciation for my first name, and I am happy that I have a very unusual name. Teachers almost always mispronounced it on the first day of school when I was a kid, but it was no big deal to correct them.

arivecchi
04-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Rhys and Roman are both very cool names. Wish I had thought of them when naming DS2!

elektra
04-01-2009, 11:23 PM
If we go with Rhys the middle name will be Benjamin. This is the one that DH suggested that I also really like. However, I am a bit concerned about the spelling thing. I do like this spelling and I think it's the only way that it is for sure a boy name. DD has a unisex name and that is also what is making me waffle on Rhys, because "Reece" could also be for a girl.
Roman is my favorite. It is actually a family name of DH's. It's either his Mexican grandmother or great grandmother's maiden name. It's actually Roman with the accent on the "a" but I would just pronounce it as most people probably read it with the accent on the first syllable. Here's the thing though- he is not that hot on it. And it's his family name so I don't have a ton of leverage in the negotiations. Not sure what the middle name would be there.
Charles, Dylan and Tyler are all sort of tied after these top two for me. I like them all but DH seems more into Tyler (his other suggestion) than Dylan and he doesn't like Charles as much as I do.

MontrealMum
04-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I voted for Rhys only because DH is part Welsh (and has a Welsh name) and I kind of like those Anglo-Celtic names :) But I think all the names on your list are nice. My very good friend's son is named Benjamin and he's the only one I know of in that age group. Very nice name!

Wife_and_mommy
04-01-2009, 11:43 PM
I love Rhys. #2 for me would be Charles if you'll nn Charlie. I like Charlie alot even though I'm not a fan of nn's in general.

Wife_and_mommy
04-01-2009, 11:45 PM
If we go with Rhys the middle name will be Benjamin. This is the one that DH suggested that I also really like. However, I am a bit concerned about the spelling thing. I do like this spelling and I think it's the only way that it is for sure a boy name. DD has a unisex name and that is also what is making me waffle on Rhys, because "Reece" could also be for a girl.
Roman is my favorite. It is actually a family name of DH's. It's either his Mexican grandmother or great grandmother's maiden name. It's actually Roman with the accent on the "a" but I would just pronounce it as most people probably read it with the accent on the first syllable. Here's the thing though- he is not that hot on it. And it's his family name so I don't have a ton of leverage in the negotiations. Not sure what the middle name would be there.
Charles, Dylan and Tyler are all sort of tied after these top two for me. I like them all but DH seems more into Tyler (his other suggestion) than Dylan and he doesn't like Charles as much as I do.

I *love* your middle choice so Rhys Benjamin is my choice. Love it. :)

amandabea
04-01-2009, 11:51 PM
I voted Charles bc I like the nn Charlie, but then I saw your post that your last name ends in "ley". Is the "ley" pronounced "lee" or "lay"?

Charles is still my favorite, but might not be good if it is too sing-songy with your last name. My second choice is Tyler. I also like Rhys and Dylan, but Roman sounds dark and sinister to me.

KpbS
04-01-2009, 11:51 PM
What about Benjamin Rhys? I like Rhys better as a middle name and since you both really like Benjamin.....(also there is no gender confusion w/ Ben/Benjamin :)

Or how about Benjamin Roman? Doesn't quite flow as well but is the name you both really like and a special family name.

larig
04-02-2009, 12:35 AM
gosh, since Roman's a family name, my mind might be swayed from Rhys. I LOVE family names. But Rhys Benjamin has such a great ring to it. It's a name that will be cool when he's young and older.

HannaAddict
04-02-2009, 02:59 AM
Another vote for Rhys or Roman, both are strong and classic. I don't think the spelling would be a problem with Rhys and I love that Roman is a family name. I think they are different enough that you might need to know how your baby looks/seems to decide, as well as how they "fit" with your last name, and other children's names. But I love them both. Charlie is getting crazy popular in our area and there are quite a few Dylans too if that matters to you at all. Good choices all.

maylips
04-02-2009, 09:30 AM

I like them all so I didn't even vote, but I think Roman ___ley sounds great, especially now that I see there is a family connections. For some reason, Dylan __ley and Tyler __ley sound tougher to me to say.

I do like Charles, but you'll probably fight with people who want to call him Charlie, so be prepared. We named our daughter a short, simple name and people try to add "ie" to the end ALL.THE.TIME. Drives me nuts. I'm a big believer in calling your child what you name her - or at least follow the parents' examples!