PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with people?

mamicka
04-01-2009, 05:26 PM
DS is taking a Spanish class at his old elementary school (after school - run by private company, just using the space). His class meets in the art room. The art teacher has *always* left art projects out - not things that need to dry, just finished projects left out in random places in the room for who knows what reason. Last week there was a big peice of plywood precariously perched on a stool full of projects made from wadded-up newspaper & masking tape. DS walks in with the 10 other K'ers & accidentally knocks it down. He immediately apologizes to the art teacher (her back was turned when it happened) & is completely remorseful. I apologize for him. She glares at him, glares at me, picks all the items up, puts the entire peice of plywood w/ the items on an available shelf & walks off in a huff.

This week, miracle of miracles, everything is put away for a change & we get a lecture at the beginning of class about respecting other people's property - that we've not been careful about the things in the room.

Seriously? You are a grown adult - if you don't want things to be damaged in the presence of 5 year-olds - PUT THEM AWAY! & if an accident happens when you've not put them away, don't blame the child, especially if they've apologized & are obviously sorry about it. & when a child apologizes to you, especially if it was an accident, don't glare at them & walk away in a huff. Get over yourself & grow up!

Thank the Lord DS isn't interacting with morons like that every day.

MamaKath
04-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Aww that was awful! I am not always good about putting stuff away, but always do if someone else is using my room. Poor kids don't need that stuff on their minds!

kransden
04-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I bet she doesn't want them in her room, and it pisses her off that they are there. So you get the passive agressive bad behavior.
Sorry for your dc.

MontrealMum
04-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Cuz passive-aggressive behavior is really effective with 5 yr. olds - WTF? Sorry you're having to deal with this :( If you can, I'd try to ignore it...rising above and all that...

mamicka
04-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks everyone. I don't know why this woman got under my skin so much. I don't plan to say/do anything because you're right - that would be pointless.

& yes, she doesn't want them in her class. I totally get that - but that's where they've been assigned, take it up with the people in charge if you have an issue - not the kids.

Thanks again guys!

Laurel
04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I bet she doesn't want them in her room, and it pisses her off that they are there. So you get the passive agressive bad behavior.
Sorry for your dc.

Yes, this. As an administrator in my past life, I noticed teachers who have to share space always seem to have a big chip over it. Instead of taking steps to protect their stuff, they almost seem to challenge the kids to mess it up just so they have something to bitch about. Just my observation! No offense to any space-sharing teachers on here (I've been one)!

If it really bugs you, I'd call the daytime principal and let her/him know the art teacher is being unreasonable about sharing space and that the afterschool program kids are making an effort.