PDA

View Full Version : Lying about your age

KrisM
04-01-2009, 11:26 PM
So the "how old are you" thread reminded me of this. I don't really lie about my age (38), but if I did, I'd add years! Because, really, if I tell you I am 45 you'll think I look damn good! However, if I tell you I'm 29, you'll think I look pretty darn wrinkly for my age :).

MontrealMum
04-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Personally, I think this is very clever of you :) Always err on the side of looking good!

m448
04-01-2009, 11:33 PM
That's what my great aunt does. In fact as she got older instead of tacking on 5 years she'd add 10. On the other end of the spectrum I had another great aunt that would not only lie about her age (subtracting years) but in order to keep up the facade would lie about her own daughters' and nieces' ages. My aunt made the mistake of telling my cousin her real age when he was a little kid and unfortunately for her he has a great memory always kept track of hers. LOL

I on the other hand tend to forget my age and have to tack on 3 years to my sis's just to remember. Kind of sad huh?

Wife_and_mommy
04-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh, my. My 73yo father has done this all my life. A few yrs. ago, he(the eldest) became younger than his siblings. It's actually a family joke now but it's so kooky.

I feel like I look older since having #2 but rarely get asked my age.

My sister looks about 5 years older than me from the choices she's made. I look at her and feel darn young.

kijip
04-01-2009, 11:51 PM
I think I am too young to grasp why people lie about age to be younger. I have a few people I know who conceal their age and have been 29 or 39 for a couple of years. I have no intention of doing that and don't feel unhappy to be turning 29 or nearing 30. I have a close friend turning 40 this year and he will lose it if we throw a party for him. He too maintains (in jest) that he is 29. I don't see what the big deal is. So like I said, maybe I am just too young to get it yet. My father turned 66 this week and he does not seem old to me, so the idea of 40 being old is very foreign to me. At 28, I barely feel like an adult 1/2 the time.

MNmomtobe
04-02-2009, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=KrisM;2339704]So the "how old are you" thread reminded me of this. I don't really lie about my age (38), but if I did, I'd add years! Because, really, if I tell you I am 45 you'll think I look damn good!

I would have to add about 15 years to my age to get that kind of response. LOL!

egoldber
04-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Sarah is very sensitive to things like this, so I am trying very, vary hard to treat my age (I turned 40 this year) in a very casual, nonchalant way.

But I do have to say that turning 40 hit me in a more emotional way than turning 30 did.

JBaxter
04-02-2009, 07:13 AM
I have no problem with my age. Im am 41 and will be 42 in May. I had a little issue turning 31 which is weird because in my head it was because I was "more" than 30 ???

pinkmomagain
04-02-2009, 08:53 AM
I have no desire at all to lie about my age. I'll be 42 in a few weeks. I just don't see the point. Getting older is a fact of life and you might as well embrace it....I really admire those who age gracefully and I hope to be one of them. That said, I do grumble about my aging looks and my aches and pains from time to time. I think that's pretty normal.

KrisM
04-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I am what I am and that works for me. I did have a tough time with turning 30 as I remembered my dad's birthday party and it made me feel old to specifically remember him at my age. He was 22 when I was born, so I remember him even younger, but just very clearly remember him turning 30 and my mom and his friends giving him joke "old people" gifts. That was tough.

I'll be 40 in 2010. When my mom turned 40, I was finishing my freshman year in college. I'll turn 40 with a 6,4, and 2 year old. Things like that strike me odd, but not so much the age itself.

ILoveLucy
04-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I would never lie about my age. I'm 39. I don't care to be any other age than the my real one, and I'm way too "connected" to the timeframe I grew up in and would never want to pretend otherwise.

g-mama
04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
But I do have to say that turning 40 hit me in a more emotional way than turning 30 did.

I've never been bothered by any age...until this year when I will turn 40. When dh turned 40 two years ago I thought he was ridiculous for being bothered by a number. Well, for me, too, that number is just hard to get accustomed to. It just feels OLD to be out of my thirties.

So, yes, Katie, I think you probably are too young to "get it" - I certainly wouldn't have gotten it at 29. Heck, I didn't get it at 38!

Gena
04-02-2009, 11:50 AM
I haven't lied about my age since I was 20 and trying to get into clubs on a borrowed ID.

I'll be 37 this year and it doesn't bother me. I was very young (pre-school age) when my parents turned 40 and I really don't remember them any younger than that. So that probably affects my view. Hubby just turned 40 this week and his parents were in their early 20s when he was born, so 40 seems older to him than it does to me.