PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in Stowe, VT

hbridge
04-02-2009, 12:11 PM
We're planning a family vacation (finally) and are looking at Stowe, VT. It will be our small immediate family with a 5yo. Any recommendations as to where to stay?

At the moment we are thinking about the Von Trapp Lodge. Has anyone stayed there, what did you think?

Thanks so much.

willow33
04-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Never stayed there, but lived in Vermont for 6 years. It is "the place" to stay in Stowe. It's pricey, but if you can afford it...I would definitely stay there.

pastrygirl
04-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I stayed at Topnotch Resort and Spa once. I think the resort itself was way overpriced. Our room was nothing special and you could hear EVERYTHING that was going on next door or in the hallway, as if there were no walls or doors.

The spa, on the other hand, was AWESOME. To this day, I compare all my few-and-far-between spa treatments/massages with Topnotch. I also really liked the restaurant -- had one of my top 10 meals there.

It's pricey, though! I don't know that I would stay there again, but I might still use their spa services. :)

hbridge
04-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Thank you both for your replies. We are looking for a real family oriented place where DC can be a the active child without being overly concerned about behavior.

Unfortunately for me, I am NOT a spa person AT ALL. The last massage I had I spent the whole time wondering when it would be over... It's just not in my nature! SO, as much as I wish, Topnotch would be wasted on us...

I just spoke with Trapp Family Lodge and the costs are up there, but not prohibitive. So now we have to decide on dates and figure out if there is a place more appropriate for our active, outdoor loving (NON-camping) family. ANY suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

wellyes
04-02-2009, 01:52 PM
The Golden Eagle Resort is a great family-oriented place in Stowe and it's a lot cheaper than the Van Trapp Lodge. My husband and I stayed there years ago. We had a nice romantic getaway, but really the place is designed for families & kids. The rooms aren't fancy but they're fine. Very homey. We stayed in one of the rooms that had a fireplace. They had stacks of firewood that you could use for free. A real country breakfast (eggs, pancakes, etc) is usually included with your stay. There is a pool and a couple of trails and ponds on the property.

Stowe's the perfect spot for people who love the outdoor but not roughing it. We did a lot of hiking and biking that week. There are more trails, including kid-friendly hikes, than you could do in a month. But then for lunch and dinner there are tons of really good restaurants. Most stuff is open in the off-season but it's not crowded. I really like Stowe.

bnme
04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Smugglers Notch, VT. Just north of Stowe. Never went in summer but we skied there in January and LOVED it. They have kids activies (camp-like), a bunch of pools, water slides, hiking, etc. Also adult activities like canoing to a winery (while kids in camp). It's more 'family' than 'luxury'.

http://www.smuggs.com/

We liked it so much we bought a ski week. I'd love to try it in the summer but it's not gona happen this year financially.

mom2binsd
04-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I remember the Stoweflake was really nice, but that was in my single days....Stowe has so many places though I'm sure you'll find exactly what you need. I know that Smugglers always gets great reviews from families!

melissaflorida
04-02-2009, 07:09 PM
We just got back from Stowe with our then 4 yo dd. We stayed in town at Green Mountain Inn in one of the townhouses. It was perfect. Huge 2 story townhouse, 2 bedrooms, full kitchen, living room with fireplace. Walking distance to many places to eat, a paint your own pottery studio, sledding, ice skating and shops. They also have regular rooms and suites.

The website is www.greenmountaininn.com

My daughter's favorite restaurant was Gracie's and Grey Fox Inn for dutch pancakes.

HTH,

Melissa

jodi_b
04-02-2009, 09:44 PM
DH and I honeymooned in Stowe. We stayed at the Stowehof Inn. It was charming in a quirky sort of way (bit of a 70s vibe) and had breathtakingly lovely grounds, but it's more of a couple's place than a family place.

We had dinner at the Von Trapp Lodge one night. I liked it a lot. It was obviously a quality hotel, but not elegant in a way that would make parents of young kids nervous. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there with my 3 year old.

Enjoy your vacation!