PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff of age poll: Is your husband older than you? If so, how many years?

HIU8
04-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Just curious b/c of the age poll how many of us have DH's that are older than we are? DH is older than me by nearly 8 years. He was already 40 when we got married (he was divorced with no children).

LarsMal
04-02-2009, 01:18 PM
DH is older than me, but only by 7 months.

MistieandMichael
04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Dh is 3 years older than I am. I will be 26 in June and he just turned 29 in March.

ha98ed14
04-02-2009, 01:31 PM
DH is 3.5 years older than me. I think it is a good spread. My SILs H is 13 years older than she is. He went to grad school twice, so just never married and she was 20 when they got married. It works for them, but it worried me that her H was 50 when her last baby was born. Luckily he is in very good health.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-02-2009, 01:31 PM
DH is just over 2 years old than I am.

HIU8
04-02-2009, 01:40 PM
DH complains bitterly that if we have a third he will be 47 and way to old. Part of it is age and part of it is thinking about his mortality since my FIL passed away 3 years ago. I'm 38 and still have a little time to have one more before I start to worry that I'm to old to have more children.

My parents are 8 years apart and my grandparents were 12 years apart.

rlu
04-02-2009, 01:43 PM
DH accuses me of robbing the cradle (I'm two months older than him).

maestramommy
04-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Dh is just a couple weeks shy of two years older.

daniele_ut
04-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm a shameless cradle robber. Dh is 6 years YOUNGER than me!

HIU8
04-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Now THAT is the way to do it! :bowdown:

love_a_latte
04-02-2009, 02:11 PM
DH is a little over 8 years older then I am.

ETA. I have always gone for older guys. The biggest difference was with someone 21 years older, so 8 didn't really seem like that much to me, or my family.

frgsnlzrds
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
DH is 5 years and a couple months older than me. I love being the "younger woman!"

TonFirst
04-02-2009, 03:20 PM
We're exactly 5.5 years apart. I'm 32, he's 38. I was a child bride, but I swear I'm an old 32. Being the firstborn of six will do that to you, I guess ; )

ha98ed14
04-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I guess it is all relative and what you have seen in your own family. Personally I was not shocked when SIL had her last baby at 38 because my aunt had her last at 42, BUT I was shocked when BIL was 50 when it happened. But I guess that is only 8 years difference 42 to 50. Somehow (whether it is PC/ right or not) men can get away with being Dads into later ages than women. It's just biology. What is of concern to me is being around long enough to help your kids get a good start in life. I have several friends whose parents died before they were 25, one was as young as 16. They had a hard time. Their parents were not all older; one friend's parents were in a car accident, which you cannot control, obviously. And people should not live in fear, but still it is something to consider seriously. I can see where your DH is coming from...

momtoonegirl
04-02-2009, 03:21 PM
DH is 1.5 years older than me.

caleymama
04-02-2009, 03:26 PM
I was a child bride, but I swear I'm an old 32.

I love it! That's exactly how I feel. I was too, or so it seemed in my circle of friends. Married at 22, almost 23, was never something I thought I'd be, but there I was!

DH is 3.5 years older than me, but was only a year ahead of me in college b/c he played junior hockey for 2 yrs between HS and college.

AnnieW625
04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
DH is 3 yrs older than me.

KBecks
04-02-2009, 04:04 PM
DH complains bitterly that if we have a third he will be 47 and way to old. Part of it is age and part of it is thinking about his mortality since my FIL passed away 3 years ago. I'm 38 and still have a little time to have one more before I start to worry that I'm to old to have more children.

My parents are 8 years apart and my grandparents were 12 years apart.

I can tell you that being 38 (well I just turned 39 today) with 3 is hard. My husband is in theory supportive, but it does not take much for him to feel worn out. Last night I was frustrated with him for being snappy with the baby and for wanting to turn the baby monitor down so he couldn't hear crying, and denied the baby was crying (after I made him turn it up) when the lights were going full to the top. Then he said that there was probably nothing wrong when the baby had a leaky diaper. He was not willing to get out of bed, even though it was on his watch to take care of the baby. I went to check it out because he did not want to get out of bed. Here's my beef with my DH, he will choose to ignore the kids if he feels tired or uninterested. Sometimes I wish we did not have our third. My DH loves our third, but the baby smiles absolutely do not outweigh the work of keeping up with the even simple, basic needs of 3 kids.

Should I add that we all have colds and DS3 is teething?

TonFirst
04-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Liz, if you had asked me when I was 18 if I'd be married by the time I was 25, I'd be all, "NO WAY, NO HOW." Never say never, I guess!

My youngest sister just turned 25 and she is nowhere near where I was when I was 25, to the point where my parents are driving her new (used) car, which they just bought for her, out to her in California (they're in Texas). I was all, "She's going to help pay for the car, right? A little? IwasmarriedandhadamortgagewhenIwas25thankyouverymu ch?" I swear, youth is wasted in the young...

mamaoftwins
04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
DH is two years and a week older than me.

mamaoftwins
04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
My husband is in theory supportive, but it does not take much for him to feel worn out. Last night I was frustrated with him for being snappy with the baby and for wanting to turn the baby monitor down so he couldn't hear crying, and denied the baby was crying (after I made him turn it up) when the lights were going full to the top. Then he said that there was probably nothing wrong when the baby had a leaky diaper. He was not willing to get out of bed, even though it was on his watch to take care of the baby. I went to check it out because he did not want to get out of bed. Here's my beef with my DH, he will choose to ignore the kids if he feels tired or uninterested.

Just wanted to send a :hug:. I could have written your post word for word. Seriously. DH is a great guy, but he has done the above numerous times, and it makes me insane.

specialp
04-02-2009, 04:47 PM

Us too. 2 months apart.

katydid1971
04-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm a cougar ;) DH is almost two years YOUNGER than me. I'm thinking of trading him in on a newer model soon :) (not really)

MichelleRC
04-02-2009, 05:17 PM
DH is 13 years older than I am!

hez
04-02-2009, 05:23 PM

2 1/2 months here :) He was the first guy I ever dated who was even a day younger than me :p

Emmas Mom
04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm a shameless cradle robber. Dh is 6 years YOUNGER than me!

Not a cradle robber....I think the "PC" term now is COUGAR!!! lol I'm one too....my DH is almost 5 years younger than me...but he looks older. :boogie: