PDA

View Full Version : kind of a surprise pregnancy, but need to paint

melrose7
04-02-2009, 01:45 PM
So I went off the pill in feb but we were going to try to wait a few months before really trying for #3. There aren't many days to try during the month since DH works 3rd shift but God had different plans. So I took the test today and yes, 2 lines. I love being pregnant so that part of me is so excited but I wanted to wait this time to tell DH. But we are putting our house up for sale next week and need to finish painting. I am suppose to prime the bathroom tonight and then 2 coats of paint, 1 friday and 1 saturday. Since it's a bathroom unless I have the window wide open there ins't good ventilation(and it is still winter in WI). Would it be okay to paint with the window open? I can't have the door open since the kids are going to be sleeping and I don't want to wake them. I didn't paint with my other two so I can't believe that I'm considering it this time. I just don't know when we are going to get the painting done by monday. we also have the upstairs hall to paint. DH is working 2 shifts today (2nd adn 3rd) and one on friday(2nd) so he can't do anything til saturday. I feel like I need to tell him and he'll jsut have to do all the painting this weekend, right?

elephantmeg
04-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I painted pregnant but was in my 2nd trimester and had the windows open. I think you should tell him so you can make the decision together. They do make low VO2 paints too. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LarsMal
04-02-2009, 01:59 PM
I painted with my first two pregnancies. I was 34 weeks pregnant with DD when I painted our bathroom- :bag I just wore a mask I picked up from Home Depot or Lowe's.

You could also get the low or no VOC paint.

Congratulations!!!

melrose7
04-02-2009, 02:06 PM
I painted pregnant but was in my 2nd trimester and had the windows open. I think you should tell him so you can make the decision together. They do make low VO2 paints too. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what about the primer? does that come in a low VO2 kind also? I proabably will tell him because he will be mad if I paint and didn't.
thanks!

Piglet
04-02-2009, 02:11 PM
How far along are you? I had a friend that was exposed to something much worse than paint when she was about 4-5 weeks pregnant (like right after she took the tst) and the doctor explained that at that stage in the game the fetus is not formed enough to harmed by exposure. I know that there are many moms that go for drinks (even a lot of drinks) without realizing they are pregnant and the doctors are usually not at all concerned.

Nooknookmom
04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Are you using latex? I painted while preggo, used a mask. For our bedroom, I used a no VOC environmentally friendly paint. NO fumes at all. But if you don't have the no VOC you'll be fine.

melrose7
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Since I just found out I am only 4 weeks along. I think I'll call the doctor before talking to DH and see what they say. We had a deal that I would all the painting (I like to paint) and DH would do everything else.

writermama
04-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I wore a respirator I got for about $15 at home depot. I found it useful for cleaning and anything else that involved a nasty smell (such as changing diapers) that might make me gag.

kusumat
04-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Can you hire someone to do it if your dh can't?

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/paintexposure.html

KBecks
04-02-2009, 05:11 PM
I've painted while pregnant with all three children. Can you bring in a fan with the open window? You may want to do a little less painting. I pained late in the pregnancy and I might be concerned about painting so early..... call your OB?

I was advised to take breaks and be careful on ladders (at 7-8 months)

hellokitty
04-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Can you at least get the paint that is low fumes for kids' rooms? I know that dutch boy has their own line...

melrose7
04-02-2009, 08:43 PM
DH was suppose to get some special paint for high moisture rooms like bathrooms so not sure if that come in a low fume type. At least tonight I don't have to prime it because he never got a chance to take the mirror off the wall. Since we only saw each other for 5 minutes today I didn't want to just say "oh, I don't think I shouldn't paint tonight because we weren't so careful last month". I'll have to wait til tomorrow night to tell him and by then I can go get a mask. The nurse on call at my doctor's office said to make sure to have the window wide open and to take breaks. It's small room so it shouldn't take long. Thanks for all the advice. Now let's hope we can sell our house because we really need a bigger one now.