PDA

View Full Version : Spin Off of the Eating Out Thread....Post your favorite recipes here.

alien_host
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm in a rut for sure. Lately, I feel like we eat the same things all.the.time. I need some new recipes.

So post (or post a link) of some of your favorite stand-by recipes.

g-mama
04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I know this has been posted before but don't know if you've seen it:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Teriyaki-Chicken/Detail.aspx

This is made almost weekly in my house and everyone devours it. I make it with steamed rice and sometimes with grilled pineapple. The sauce that it makes is so delicious and I drizzle it on top of the rice. My boys go crazy over this one. I've made it in the crockpot with excellent results, too.

Indianamom2
04-02-2009, 04:51 PM
:yeahthat:

I have to completely agree with the teryaki chicken recipe. I made it Monday night, with chicken breasts and doubled the sauce recipe. Then I used the leftovers last night with some rice and a bag of frozen stirfry veggies and made an awesome stirfry with it. Even Dh, who isn't a huge chicken fan, really likes this, plus it's easy!

Christina

MelissaTC
04-02-2009, 05:24 PM
This is my new favorite recipe-

Shrimp and Orzo Salad (from Weight Watchers 20 minute recipes)
points value- 6 for 1 1/3 cups

prep- 4 minutes cook- 16 minutes

1 1/4 cups uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
3/4 pound cooked and peeled medium shrimp
2 cups chopped seeded tomato
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup small pitted ripe olives, halved
1/3 cup lemon juice (2-3 medium lemons)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup (2 oz) crumbled feta cheese

1. Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Rinse under cold water until cool. Drain.

2. Combine orzo and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Combine lemon juice and next 5 ingredients , stirring with a whisk. Stir into orzo mixture; add cheese, tossing gently to coat.

Notes- needs a little more lemon, to taste. Sprinkle some Greek seasoning into the dressing for a little extra flavor.

Makes 6 servings (1 1/3 cups) Will remain fresh for 2 days in an air tight container.
cal 288, fat 9.4g, carb 32.7, fiber 2.9

MelissaTC
04-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I also loved this when I made it. http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/01/crock-pot-recipe-for-southwestern-pot.html

fivi2
04-02-2009, 06:08 PM
:yeahthat:

I have to completely agree with the teryaki chicken recipe. I made it Monday night, with chicken breasts and doubled the sauce recipe. Then I used the leftovers last night with some rice and a bag of frozen stirfry veggies and made an awesome stirfry with it. Even Dh, who isn't a huge chicken fan, really likes this, plus it's easy!

Christina

Silly question, I am sure, but do you shorten the cooking time with chicken breasts? I am not a chicken thigh person...

TIA!

MommyAllison
04-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I love www.mykitchencafe.blogspot.com we have tried lots of her recipes and loved them all. Off the top of my head...Orange Chicken, Sweet & Sour Chicken, Pineapple Meatballs, Crispy Chicken Wraps, Chicken Fettucine, Chicken Tikka Masala...yum.

alexsmommy
04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Some evil person here suggested this blog in the favorite blog thread a while back. I didn't even used to read blogs but I am working my way through some of her recipes

thepioneerwoman.com

Um, yummm.

LarsMal
04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
One of my newer staples is a slow cooker fajita-style dish.

It's SO easy!

3-6 chicken breast
1 can pineapple tidbits (drained)
1 can black beans (not drained)
32 ounces of favorite chunky salsa (I don't add quite that much, maybe more like 28. I find it can stay a bit too liquidy.)

Slow cook on low for 6-8 hours. About an hour before serving I take the chicken out and shred it, then add it back.

You can serve it over rice or in soft tortillas with your favorite fixings. It is a little juicy, so the rice is a nice way to soak up those juices if you make it more like a burrito.

So yummy!!!

Indianamom2
04-02-2009, 09:47 PM
In response to the question about cooking time with chicken breasts vs. thighs...I butterfly thick chicken breasts and bake them for about 35 minutes at whatever temperature the recipe recommends and they come out very tender and juicy (I tend to overcook them with other methods). I have actually never tried it with thighs.

Hope that helps.

Oh and I will also second the post about the recipes at www.pioneerwoman.com.

I just discovered her website this weekend and her food looks divine...but not low-fat! (Which just means it will taste good too!)

Christina

caleymama
04-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Here are some I like:

Southwest Turkey Burgers with Corn Salsa (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Southwest-Turkey-Burgers-with-Corn-Salsa-108309)

Bean Salad Wraps (from Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook)
4 8-inch flavored or plain flour tortillas
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper or 1 fresh jalepeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped (we use a green pepper)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup light mayonnaise dressing or salad dressing (we use whatever mayo we have)
1 tablespoon lime juice
leaf lettuce

Stack tortillas and wrap tightly in foil. Heat in a 350* oven for 10 minutes to soften.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mash black beans slightly; add sweet pepper and cilantro. Stir in mayo and lime juice.
To serve, spread bean mixture evenly over tortillas. Top with lettuce leaves. Roll up tortillas.

Barbecued Turkey Joes (a WW recipe)
1 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 medium bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 cup barbecue sauce
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
4 medium mixed-grain hamburger rolls, sliced in half

Brown turkey in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain off liquid. Add peppers and onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add BBQ sauce and cayenne pepper; heat thoroughly, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Top bottom half of buns with turkey mixture; cover with top half of bun and serve.

Baked Ziti (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Ziti-II/Detail.aspx)
Tortilla Lasagna (http://www.ortega.com/Recipes/detail.asp?RecipeID=27984&BrandSiteID=3)

infomama
04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
This roast is always a big hit..
a 2 pound (ish) chuck roast (we use the spencer cut but anything that is know to fall apart like a brisket will do--the cut is important so don't substitute (real life experience here) for something else). This size roast will serve four with no leftovers so get a 4lb roast if you have big eaters or want leftovers.

In the cock pot mix:
2 cans of regular cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope of lipton onion/mushroom dry soup mix
1-2 cans of whole mushrooms (this is optional)
1 1/2 cups beef broth
about six (or so) good shakes of Worcestershire sauce

mix that together and place your beef in the sauce. Thats it! You will be able to cut it with your fork and the flavor is superb. It makes it's own gravy (and alot of it) which is fab. Cook on low for about 6 hours (for the 2 pounder) and add maybe a couple of hours for the 4 pounder. I check it with a meat thermometer and if it reads at least 175, it's done. I baste it every so often (every couple of hours) just to keep it enveloped in goodness.

This recipe is so easy and so good. Enjoy!

DietCokeLover
04-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Here's a good and easy brisket recipe for the crock pot. It has a great flavor.

1 (3 lb) beef brisket
2 (12 oz) bottles of chili sauce
1 (1 oz) envelope of dry onion soup mix
2 t garlic powder

Place brisket in slow cooker. Mix other ingredients in a medium bowl then pour over the brisket. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Slice against the grain when done and pour gravy over the slices.

You can use the leftovers for BBQ sandwiches or even sliced and used on top of salad.

alien_host
04-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I know this has been posted before but don't know if you've seen it:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Teriyaki-Chicken/Detail.aspx

This is made almost weekly in my house and everyone devours it. I make it with steamed rice and sometimes with grilled pineapple. The sauce that it makes is so delicious and I drizzle it on top of the rice. My boys go crazy over this one. I've made it in the crockpot with excellent results, too.

I am so making this over the weekend. When people double the sauce recipe, do you just dump it all in the pan and cook it with the chicken? For some reason I feel it will cook down a lot.

off to check those blogs!

boolady
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Great thread. I have lots of favorites, but I would have to be near my cookbooks/recipe binder, and I'm not, at the moment.

An easy favorite that we love it to smear salmon filets with dijon mustard and then press on brown sugar. Grill, either on a cedar plank or right on the grill. The mustard and brown sugar do a tangy/sweet thing, and the brown sugar melts and sort of caramelizes. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I would say it's between 1 and 2 T. of each on each filet, depending on the size. Don't flip, done when fish is just cooked through.

g-mama
04-03-2009, 03:08 PM
When people double the sauce recipe, do you just dump it all in the pan and cook it with the chicken? For some reason I feel it will cook down a lot.

I always double the sauce and then cook it with the chicken. It may cook down some, but it's always worked out to be plenty.

And to whomever posted the "My Kitchen Cafe" blog - THANK YOU!! Her recipes look great and very much the kind my family would eat: not too fancy but not processed 'Kraft Foods' type recipes either. I have printed out a bunch of them that I am anxious to try.

alexsmommy
04-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Oh and I will also second the post about the recipes at www.pioneerwoman.com.

I just discovered her website this weekend and her food looks divine...but not low-fat! (Which just means it will taste good too!)

Christina

Thus far, all divnine tasting. I've been going nuts though trying to pick through to the not so insanely fattening recipes. I made the spicy shrimp Wednesday and yuuuu-uuuum. I added garlic and it was very much like some we had in New Orleans.
I've also been trying to be "lower" carb - I feel and look better when I do. Doesn't work so well with her stuff, but I have a list of goodies to try when we have company and I cut myself more slack.

JTsMom
04-03-2009, 05:44 PM
One of our favorites lately is pecan chicken. There is a recipe somewhere, but I just wing it. You use maple syrup (and a little apricot preserves if you feel like it) to make the chicken sticky, then roll it in a combo of chopped pecans, a small amt of flour, salt and pepper. Saute it in a little oil/butter. The nuts burn easily, so it helps if you use thin pieces of chicken and cover it while it cooks.

alien_host
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I just wanted to post that the Baked Terriyaki Chicken was a big hit (well for DH and I, DD only will eat chix in the form of a nugget!). I doubled the sauce but didn't double the soy sauce (added 1/4 c water) and used brown sugar instead of white (at about 75% of the receipe when doubled).

I only had two boneless breasts so there was way too much sauce, I'd say the doubled sauce could do 4-6 breasts.

I stir fried the rice/sauce/chix and some veggies the next day. It was yummy.

g-mama
04-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm so glad you tried it and liked it, too. Good idea about stir frying the rice and chicken again the next night!