PDA

View Full Version : Dear Other Mother at the park,

rebeccaravit
04-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Isn't it a great day? Finally some warm sunshine and beautiful weather, so nice in fact that we both had the idea to take our kids to the park to let off some steam. Unfortunately for me, that meant that your son had to let it out on me.

Thanks so much for continuing to text on your cell phone while he punched me in the back and almost threw sand on me while I was talking to him.

Way to go when you asked him to come over to you and he didn't. Then when he finally walked by you, you said "how's it going, bud?"

Good job parenting your kid.

niccig
04-02-2009, 05:17 PM
I hate this. It's like if they look up, they'll realise they'll have to do something, so better to just ignore.

Pennylane
04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
I would have given him the under the breath " You better back off, now!" whisper that I do when parents aren't paying attention to their misbehaving children!

Ann

jillc
04-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Oooh, I feel your pain! I was in a similar situation recently, and it made me *so* mad! I am getting angry again, just thinking about it!

I can't believe how some people sit by and let their kids treat other kids & adults with so much disrespect! Jerks.

Sorry this pair detracted from your lovely day. I hope you had a fun time at the park otherwise. :)

Best,
Jill

malphy
04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
were we at the same park?

I was at a nice enclosed palyground meant for the toddler set and older kids were running roughshod over the little ones. I don't mind if the older kids are there but please let them know how to behave w/babies around. They were running right over them to get up/down the slide.

I told them we take turns, be careful of the younger kids please, all politely and yet no parent of caregiver felt the need to say anything to them. Finally a little girl said to me well I am a big sister. I told her good, then you should know better.

It just burned me up and I am more of a slacker mom than a type a. I just think it is my job to let my child know how to behave, forgive me for paying attention to my child evven when we are out playing.

StantonHyde
04-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh, I just talk to those kids--I let them know that we do not hit, go around, move away, watch it, etc etc. I have no problem saying something to kids especially when their parents are not paying attention.

Ceepa
04-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I would have given him the under the breath " You better back off, now!" whisper that I do when parents aren't paying attention to their misbehaving children!

I have "the stare" that usually gets them to stop.

Oh and calling your kid "Bud" or "Buddy" is one of my top pet peeves.

SnuggleBuggles
04-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh, I just talk to those kids--I let them know that we do not hit, go around, move away, watch it, etc etc. I have no problem saying something to kids especially when their parents are not paying attention.

:yeahthat:

Beth

kransden
04-03-2009, 12:29 AM
:yeahthat:

If the parents says something to me about it, I have no problem talking to them either. Usually, they are too busy on their cell phone though ;)

rebeccaravit
04-03-2009, 08:43 AM

That's what I was doing after he hit me, right before he picked up a fistful of sand. I must have said something a bit louder for his mother to pick up her head from her phone.

After I saw that she didn't and wasn't going to do anything, I just moved myself and my kids over to another section of the park, but I kept my eyes on him.

I encounter this alot in my town, but usually with nannies. I HATE when parents don't watch their kids.

g-mama
04-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Oh and calling your kid "Bud" or "Buddy" is one of my top pet peeves.

Can I ask why? I often call my boys "buddy." I hear parents calling their daughters terms of endearment such as sweetie, honey, baby, princess...those won't work for boys after a certain age. (well, "princess" never).

Is it implying that you are their friend?

ThreeofUs
04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
That's what I was doing after he hit me, right before he picked up a fistful of sand. I must have said something a bit louder for his mother to pick up her head from her phone.

After I saw that she didn't and wasn't going to do anything, I just moved myself and my kids over to another section of the park, but I kept my eyes on him.

I encounter this alot in my town, but usually with nannies. I HATE when parents don't watch their kids.

Oh, I hate situations like this! I get so steamed.

You did exactly the right thing. I probably would have opened my big mouth and started explaining to the mother that we teach our children not to hit. LOUDLY.

daniele_ut
04-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Can I ask why? I often call my boys "buddy." I hear parents calling their daughters terms of endearment such as sweetie, honey, baby, princess...those won't work for boys after a certain age. (well, "princess" never).

Is it implying that you are their friend?

I call ds "buddy" all the time. I mean it as a term of endearment, not as a sign that we are friends. I suddenly feel self conscious about calling him that. why does it bother you

To the OP, I am sorry you had to deal with that.

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I call ds "buddy" all the time. I mean it as a term of endearment, not as a sign that we are friends. I suddenly feel self conscious about calling him that. why does it bother you

Ditto, including feeling self conscious about it now. I am not going to change it but now I have this nagging little voice in the back of my brain about it.

Beth

Ceepa
04-03-2009, 03:23 PM
LOL. Didn't mean to make anyone self-conscious about nicknames for their DC. It's just something that bugs me. Maybe it does sound too friend-like to me. BTW, it's not that I don't appreciate terms of endearment, I have 101 nicknames for DC. :love5:

BTW, why can't you call a boy Honey? I do. :)

KBecks
04-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I call my sons buddy and I don't really care if it bothers someone else!

I also use a lot of other affectionate names.

g-mama
04-03-2009, 04:13 PM
BTW, why can't you call a boy Honey? I do. :)

Yeah, honey is fine. I think it's more that it's just not one I personally use - for no reason at all. And, I do sometimes say 'babe.'