PDA

View Full Version : Bank fees for debit???

aa2mama
04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
I just opened my bank statement to a rather unpleasant discovery. The bank added a hefty end-of-the-month ATM usage fee to my account and charged for every time that month I used my debit card at stores with the PIN (as in at the cash register).

I went to the bank in person and asked about it. They said they would not wave the charges and pointed on their fee disclosures list to the ATM usage fees for non-network ATMS. After I got home, I found the fee disclosures sheet from the year before, and they have the exact same fee listed on that, but I have never ever been charged for a debit transaction in the past 4 years of being a customer.

So apparently, they just up and decided to start charging debit transactions as non-network ATM fees. No letters. No notice. No apologies. If they want to charge for debit transactions, fine. At least let us know they're changing how they enforce their fee policy or even show online a charge after every transaction instead of tacking it on at the end of the month so you realize what's happening.

I am pi$$ed! Is this the norm for banks now? If you have a bank that started charging for debit transactions, did they give you any kind of heads up?

Grrr...I just didn't expect this from one of the top ten credit unions in the nation. Off to shop for a new bank, I guess!

kayte
04-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Want to be mad --how about this....

My husband lost his job in February. He filed for unemployment. Our state sends you a debit card -no option for a check- to retrieve your funds.

They charge you a fee for every purchase. And it's THREE DOLLARS to check you balance (at an atm, over the phone or online). They do not send you a letter noting when money is added either--so you have to check the balance.

In addition there is a daily limit. Luckily it is not the case for us, but what if you need your employment money to pay your rent? You have to go to the atm multiple days in a row to withdrawal enough. AGHHHH

Banks suck.

hollybloom24
04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
That is terrible! I feel like the bad economy is giving banks and credit cards reasons to behave poorly!

I would call the manager or write a letter, adding up the total amount in fees you have been charged.

Research new banks before doing anything and have a plan to move if you need to. Then when you write or speak to your current bank, you can tell them if they can't work with you in a mutually agreeable way, that you are going to switch banks.

Just bad business!!! Good luck!

AnnieW625
04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
What a bummer, I haven't ran into this fee with my bank yet (Bank of the West), but I will be on the look out for it.

aa2mama
04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
They charge you a fee for every purchase. And it's THREE DOLLARS to check you balance (at an atm, over the phone or online). They do not send you a letter noting when money is added either--so you have to check the balance.

In addition there is a daily limit. Luckily it is not the case for us, but what if you need your employment money to pay your rent? You have to go to the atm multiple days in a row to withdrawal enough. AGHHHH

Banks suck.

That is just stupid. And WRONG!!! Nothing like kicking you while you're down, huh?

aa2mama
04-02-2009, 05:29 PM
I definitely plan to write a letter. Still can't believe a local credit union would do this so underhandedly. I'll have to check into Bank of the West; i know we have them here, don't think we have Chase bank.

new_mommy25
04-02-2009, 06:50 PM
That's outrageous! I can't imagine being charged for debit purchases without being informed first. I would be just as mad as you are. I would also look into changing banks immediately. The banks around my area are trying their hardest to retain customers. There are some that don't even charge you if you use a another banks ATM and lots of promos for signing up a new account. Definitely take a look around and ask others in your area for recommendations. Good luck.

firsttimemama
04-02-2009, 06:51 PM
my bank did the same thing to me some years back - I told them to remove it or I'd switch banks

they did

I only hit "credit" when using my debit card (it still gets pulled out as debit, no fees)

of course this doesn't help you get cash back at the register

arivecchi
04-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I suggest you notify your US congressman and your states' atty general about this. Given that most banks have taken bailout money, they have to be careful not to irritate politicians these days. While they may have the right to do this, it certainly seems very underhanded. Sounds to me like a public relations disaster waiting to happen.

P.S. You may also want to tip the local news. They love stories like this one.

katerinasmom
04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Want to be mad --how about this....

My husband lost his job in February. He filed for unemployment. Our state sends you a debit card -no option for a check- to retrieve your funds.

Banks suck.
That is so wrong on so many levels. I would call my state senator or congressman and the state attorney general.

kayte
04-03-2009, 08:59 AM
That is so wrong on so many levels. I would call my state senator or congressman and the state attorney general.

It made national news in March. State governments are actually getting money for the bank contracts to use the debit cards (ours is through Chase). So I think complaints are falling on deaf ears.

Here's a story from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/13/unemployment.fees/index.html?iref=newssearch