PDA

View Full Version : Short, plus-size and pregnant

craezie
04-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I must be the worst subset ever to find clothes for. So who knows of a store that still sells larger maternity clothes in short lengths? I'm normally an 18 short in pants when I'm not pregnant. Last time I was preggo I lived in my size 20 ankle Gap demi-panel jeans (then run a little small). Well, of course they stopped carrying size 20 in maternity. Lane Bryant no longer carries maternity either, although their tops never worked for me because they were too long. Motherhood has a few plus sizes, but they don't come in different lengths. I may just have to make good friends with a tailor, but that adds a lot of expense. Does anyone know where I can get this???

misshollygolightly
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
My aunt-in-law is the about the same build you are and I think she ended up ordering some things from JCPenney's website for her last pregnancy. You may have to search the site a little, but I think the "duo Maternity" line they carry has plus sizes. However, my aunt-in-law knows her way around a sewing machine and it's very possible she ended up hemming her own clothes...I just don't know. Anyway, it might be worth a shot! I think Walmart also carries plus-size maternity clothes, and if you could get away with paying Walmart prices for the clothes it might not be too expensive to pay a tailor to get them hemmed to fit. HTH!

Marriedladytara
04-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Well, that's me - Short, Plus-Size, (NOT CURRENTLY) Pregnant

I did well at JC Penney, Target, and Motherhood Maternity.

Good luck!

zag95
04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Look on the JCPenney website.... also be sure to check in their "outlet section/clearance section" I think you may have some luck!

I had the opposite problem- plus size and tall! It's much harder to create fabric that isn't there!

:)

mrshalco
04-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I am short, plus sized, and just gave birth two months ago!

Motherhood does now carry petite sizes in their plus section!!! Of course they started coming out more towards the end of my pregnancy but I did end up with one pair of black pants (petite, plus, and secret belly panel) and they were so comfy! Unfortunately they got ruined during a maternity photo shoot - 4 year old, paint, and my belly wasn't the best idea!!

craezie
04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Hey,
I checked this out on their website, and not a single pair of jeans or pants seem to come in short lengths? Maybe this is something they did for a season or 2 and then discontinued. Or are they just in the stores?

mrshalco
04-10-2009, 08:56 AM
If you go to the plus size section and then search petite...you will come up with all the pants (regular and plus) that are petite. I found 3 on their site. The beginning of the description says Plus size petite (there are 2 pants and 1 pair of jeans!) Since Lane Bryant stopped selling maternity...these 3 styles are probably the only ones you will find! I'd stock up ;) Good luck on your pregnancy!

GracieCat
04-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm petite and can sew a little, but hate hemming pants! Most off-the-rack clothes don't fit me in some way either. I use iron-on hemming tape found in the sewing section of Walmart. It's really inexpensive and easy to use on dress pants. I usually fold the pants up to the right length, slip the tape in and iron it closed. I don't do this with jeans though because they need the pretty edge or otherwise look funny. Good luck!

craezie
04-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks I found them. For some reason if you go through the tabs in the plus size section, they don't come up. you have to go through the tabs in the petite section.

Of course, over the weekend I broke down and bought two pairs of twill pants at Target that are too long. They were on clearance for $15, though, so $15 plus the $12 hemming charge is still about the same as the motherhood pants.

BTW, in case anyone else has this problem I found out that Old Navy (online only) does carry one or two pairs of jeans in multiple lengths. Hopefully the XL or XXL should fit me.

wellyes
04-14-2009, 05:26 PM
This was me when I was pregnant. AWFUL. I ended up getting like 4 pairs of Gap trousers and just wearing them over and over and over again.

MaiseyDog
04-15-2009, 11:18 AM
That was me as well. It sucks. I got to know the alteration lady at my cleaners really well. It wasn't but about 6 bucks to get a pair of pants hemmed-more if they were lined like my work suit pants. I just factored it into my clothes budget. I didn't have to have as much altered with my second baby as she was a late summer baby so I wore alot of dresses and could easily find "cropped" pants that fit me like regular pants.