PDA

View Full Version : PG Movie in 1st Grade Class?

Thatchermom
04-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Totally skipping the "why are they even watching a movie at school!" discussion (hard to do, since I am paying for DS to be at this private school OR in this case, paying for him to sit and watch a movie -grr...)

DS came home yesterday going on and on about watching Bolt at school. Yes, I know it is a "kid" movie, and is Disney and all that. Yes, I know I am pretty conservative, but we don't do PG movies yet - without exception. I know some are not as bad as others. No exceptions simply to have one less thing for my little future lawyer to negotiate and argue about.

My real rant is this - his teacher knows we have this rule for our kids. Her son is in DS's class, and we have talked about this restriction at their house for playdates. We had a big issue this winter about other kids picking on him because he isn't allowed to see the things they are. (Why 1st graders are watching PG-13 movies is beyond me!) I had to walk HER son back into the classroom one afternoon because he wouldn't leave me alone, after I repeatedly asked him to, going on about why I won't allow this stuff when it is "so cool." I am quite sure she is aware after all this, and yet she is showing this movie in the classroom.

Would you talk to the teacher about this - again? Or go to the school director? FWIW, the teacher has already turned in her resignation and is done at the end of the school year.

KBecks
04-02-2009, 05:18 PM
I'd talk to the teacher and talk to the school director.

Pennylane
04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
I can not believe any school would show a movie that long during class time. Crazy! I would say something to the director, sounds like the teacher probably won't be of much help at this point.

Ann

turtledove
04-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I would go to the director, the teacher obviously doesn't care at this point. Maybe the director can prevent her from showing PG movies (or any "non educational" movies for that matter) for the rest of the year.

GL!

egoldber
04-02-2009, 06:16 PM
I am *not* conservative and I don't agree with showing PG movies in first grade in the classroom. I think that anything shown in the classroom should be educational (e.g., Magic Schoolbus) or "classic" (The Snowman, Scholastic Video series).

misshollygolightly
04-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Obviously haven't dealt with this kind of thing myself yet, but I'm pretty sure that warrants a discussion w/ the teacher and the principal. "PG" means "Parental Guidance" not "Teacher Guidance". You, the parent, did not give your consent for your child to watch this film--in fact, the teacher knew that it would violate your general policy. Not cool.

infomama
04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Would you talk to the teacher about this - again? Or go to the school director?
Yes and Yes. That is totally unacceptable.

nellonello
04-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Go see the school director. My son goes to a private school and we get permission slips home for any sort of movie they show whether it is rated "G" or even non-rated educational. It may not do any good now but by letting the administration know, it may generate a future school policy on movies in the classroom.

SnuggleBuggles
04-02-2009, 07:44 PM
For me it would depend on why a movie was rated that way vs applying a blanket restriction to movies with whatever rating.

Since it bothers you though you should bring in up with the administration know.

Beth

o_mom
04-02-2009, 07:55 PM
The PG part in general wouldn't bother me*, the watching movies during class would. I just can't believe they are spending class time on it. I would talk to the director about it and make sure they know that you aren't paying them $$$ for your son to watch movies. I agree with Beth that anything shown in the classroom ought to at least have some educational value and there are plenty of choices that fit that.

*The rating system is pretty worthless for kids movies, IMO, so we go by the movie, not the rating. There are G rated movies I won't let my kids see, but they saw Bolt in the theater and twice this week on a long drive. It's perfectly understandable, though, that a simple rule would work better for some families. I can't understand a teacher of first graders not understanding though that you err on the very, very conservative side for anything in a classroom setting.

Piglet
04-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I like to read reviews here: http://www.parentpreviews.com/movie-reviews/bolt.shtml

The MPAA gave the movie a PG for some mild action and peril. I guarantee if Pinocchio or Bambi were released today they woul score PGs as well.

I get where you are coming from, but at what point is it personal liberty and at what point is it imposing your will on others. I have not seen Bolt, but would assume it is age appropriate for my 7 year old. He tends to be scared of movies, but some G movies scare him too (heck, I am still traumatized by the Disney movies of my childhood). I would never tell a class that they could not watch a movie because it was not something I wanted my son watching. I have chosen a private school that reflects my parenting views and I have a great deal of faith in the school. I trust the teachers and administrators to be my agents. They are allowed to make plans for the class and make choices for the class and they do not need to run it by me. They need my permission for safety-related issues and they need my permission for potentially controversial subjects (sex ed comes to mind). They do not need to clear their movie selections by me.

If you feel very strongly about this subject, you need to tell the administrator that YOUR son needs to be excused from class in the future. The rest of the class should not be penalized for your personal rules. If I decided that my son was not allowed to wear blue and the school uniform was blue, I could not expect the school to change the uniforms. I could ask them to excuse my son from the requirement (obviusly this is an exagerated example). I guess I just don't see what is wrong with a 6 year old watching a PG movie if there is a teacher there.

ray7694
04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I am a public school teacher and our school routinely shows movies that are kid movies. They are screened before hand to make sure nothing is inappopriate. Movies in our school that are non-educational are used for a reward and are earned throughout the weeks. They call it a behvior party. It isn't always a movie either.

I really don't see the problem of watching Bolt at school.
What is the issue of the movie.

I can see your rule but do you see the issues that are coming up based on the rule and is it worth it?

If it is that important let the teacher know that when a movie is planned you would like to be notified for an alternate activity or to remove your child. In all honesty I can't imagine putting my child through that, but I am pretty liberal.

MamaMolly
04-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Kind of side stepping the intent of the OP but I'm stuck on the whole showing Bolt in school. What is the educational value of Bolt? I'm not getting it.

I was a teacher for 10 years and at the best school I worked in we had to justify the educational value of the 'cute' stuff. Even and including St Patrick's day and the like. There is no flippin' way I'd have *ever* gotten away with showing a movie like Bolt. Reading Rainbow, maybe. But a cartoon? For the heck of it?

I'd let the teacher know that I wanted to know the educational value of it. What purpose it serves. If it is to be a reward like a PP said, why choose one that that is PG? I think there are a ton of great choices out there that are G rated AND educational.

mamicka
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I'd not be happy about that.

This isn't about one family pushing their beliefs on the rest of the school - this is about the school imposing its judgement on this family.

Showing a non-educational movie in class to reward the kids? I highly doubt that is the true motivation. What are the teachers doing during the movie?

kransden
04-03-2009, 12:23 AM
...Showing a non-educational movie in class to reward the kids? I highly doubt that is the true motivation. What are the teachers doing during the movie?

If the kids are good, the teachers are grading papers. :)

I am sure the movie was a special reward. It's not like they have Movie Friday is it? Has your son ever said they have watched other movies? The teachers could make this an educational endeavor if they wanted to. The kids could write about the movie or create a new story with some of the characters. "What did Bolt and his owner do after they stopped being TV stars? Did they move - where? Did they make movies - about what?" You get the idea. Since Bolt is a new movie, lots of the kids are very excited to see it. I am sure that is why it was chosen. I saw it with dd and we liked it.

So I don't think it is as bad as you think (I hope), but that said, I totally understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't be thrilled if my dd came home saying they got to see XX PG rated movie without my knowledge or consent. The teacher was out of line about that.

Hallie_D
04-03-2009, 01:12 AM
I am *not* conservative and I don't agree with showing PG movies in first grade in the classroom. I think that anything shown in the classroom should be educational (e.g., Magic Schoolbus) or "classic" (The Snowman, Scholastic Video series).

I completely agree.

bnme
04-03-2009, 07:06 AM
I personally don't have a problem with Bolt, but I don't think they should be showing full length movies in school. MAYBE once or twice a year a a reward or something. But really, what ARE the teachers doing? Plus, they could be picking a more educational theme that is still fun as a reward.

hellokitty1
04-03-2009, 02:10 PM
i've been through a similar situation this year and it was very frustrating but the one thing i'd advise here is that i think it would probably make you feel better to discuss this with teacher or director but i would focus on how the teacher/school determines the appropriateness of the movie, i learned that it isn't solely based on the rating but instead on a preview. i was told that g rating isn't automaically shown. for example, beauty and the beast is not shown bc it has sparring (sp?)

then ask why they are even watching movies.

hth.

thomma
04-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't have a problem with movies in school if it's a few times a year. (I speak as a teacher and a parent.) I do have a problem with the fact it was a PG movie. Our school has a policy that you need parent permission (as in a signed permission slip) to show a PG movie. This is usually utilized in the upper grades. In second grade we stick with G rated movies and show maybe 2 a year---like the day before winter break and the last week of school. Also we don't do it in one sitting- we usually split it into 2 days.

You should share your concerns with the teacher and/or administration.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03