PDA

View Full Version : rash (on mommy)....help please

malphy
04-02-2009, 08:22 PM
My dr. can't see me until monday so maybe someone here has had this before and can ease my mind.

I have a red rash on my breasts. If I didn't know better I would think my bra caused it because it is around the top and sides of my breasts(which are muy piqueno). It is not like a pimply rash more blotchy red. It feels like it is burning. It is itchy.

It has not really spread from yesterday but it is very annoying. I have used topical benadryl and also cortisone 10 and nothing seems to help. I thought it might be my laundry soap but rash is not any where else on body from clothes washed in same detergent as bra. Bra is not a new one either and there is no tag on it that state what it is made of.

Could it be the beginning of shingles? It doesnt appear to be contagious as dd & dh do not have it. It is driving me crazy. I didn't wear a bra today and wore a loose shirt but that didn't seem to help.

I went topless in the house but dd told me to put my shirt back on. She also said, "What's wrong mommy?" She didnt like to see that I had a booboo, i guess.

Has this happened to anyone else?

tia for any thoughts.
m

jren
04-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I think with shingles, you get the burning/tingling sensation before the rash appears. I would get it checked out, though, b/c if it's shingles, they can give you something to lessen the duration.

I had a rash (more like welts) a few days after bringing DS home (we were actually still at my dad's). It started around my armpits and spread over the next 3 days until it had hit every part of my body. I never figured out what it was and no one else got sick from it. Was SO uncomfortable, though.

You may want to try taking an OTC allergy med (like clariten) during the day and benadryl at night in addition to the topical. Especially if it starts to spread.

mommymy
04-02-2009, 08:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_zoster

It could be the beginning of shingles. You said though that there are not pimples on it. If you start to see little blisters with water in them, small ones that start on that red patch then definitely go in to your doctor tommorow/someone else the office that can see you? to start an antiviral. You should start it within the first 72 hours to really have an effect.

Does it blanch when you apply thumb pressure to the red part or does it just stay red?

Momof3Labs
04-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I'd bug the dr about getting in tomorrow, or go to an emergency-type clinic (our dr's practice operates one with longer hours, on a walk-in basis). Thursday to Monday is a long time to be that uncomfortable just because one dr can't fit you in. Or call tomorrow in the AM to see if there are any cancellations and beg for mercy.

LarsMal
04-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I'd bug the dr about getting in tomorrow, or go to an emergency-type clinic (our dr's practice operates one with longer hours, on a walk-in basis). Thursday to Monday is a long time to be that uncomfortable just because one dr can't fit you in. Or call tomorrow in the AM to see if there are any cancellations and beg for mercy.

I agree. I'd try to get in. Pull the 'ol "Well then can you give me the name/number of another doctor I can call who might be able to fit me in?" I've tried that a few times and suddenly they have an appointment!!

I had a rash a few months ago that sounds very similar. I had red blotchy, itchy/burning spots, almost perfect circles, on the sides of my breasts and also on my right arm under my armpit. I couldn't figure out what it was and when I called my derm she basically just told me to use creams that I had. I ended up switching deoderants and within a few days I could tell a difference. I had been using the same stuff for quite some time, but I guess for whatever reason, I started developing a reaction to it. It took a while for it to clear up completely. I take antihistamines, which did help with the itching, and steroid cream did eventually help, too.

I hope you figure it out soon! Rashes are such a b&tch!!!

malphy
04-02-2009, 09:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_zoster

It could be the beginning of shingles. You said though that there are not pimples on it. If you start to see little blisters with water in them, small ones that start on that red patch then definitely go in to your doctor tommorow/someone else the office that can see you? to start an antiviral. You should start it within the first 72 hours to really have an effect.

Does it blanch when you apply thumb pressure to the red part or does it just stay red?

The rash gets redder if i touch it. But it does blanch when i touch it, why do you ask?

tylersmama
04-02-2009, 09:48 PM
AFAIK, shingles typically only presents on one side of the body, in a dermatomal (following the nerve root) pattern. From the article linked above:
characterized by a painful skin rash with blisters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blister) in a limited area on one side of the body

I wouldn't want to wait till Monday to get it checked, though. If you can't convince your doctor to get you in tomorrow, I would definitely look at an urgent care. You don't want it to get worse over the weekend and then have to sit in the emergency room because that's the only place open.

Mermanaid
04-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Have you had a fever lately or been sick in any way? I often get this kind of rash about 12 - 24 hrs after I break a fever. I even got it after I gave birth to DS. It usually starts in either my armpits or on my bra-line and can then spread all over my torso. It's red, not raised and eventually turns itchy. My internist tells me it's my body reacting to a virus. I'm not sure I buy that but the Benadryl he said to take does make it go away.