PDA

View Full Version : No heat since Sunday...in Chicago! (long!)

Hallie_D
04-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Sunday the gas line to our building was shut off because a tenant smelled gas, called the gas company, and they found leaks in our line. The management company dragged their feet for hours and finally "couldn't get" a repair company out until the next day. DH had to stay home in case they needed to get into our unit. They did not...because the main line runs through one particular unit, which is owned by a total sociopath who refused to let them in "whether he was home or not" (and he had not stayed home during the day like EVERY OTHER OWNER). It is now Thursday night at midnight, and the management company has not managed to get it together so the gas company can get into the guy's unit. Supposedly they have a court order, BUT then supposedly the sociopath agreed to let the gas company in tonight. They sent a technician at 8 pm, but he refused to answer the door. Because the management company was not on the premises, as they had promised to be, the technician left, and now we have to wait for them to send someone tomorrow. The best part is that they are not even sure all the work is done!! And they can't turn on the gas unless someone is home in every unit...not likely until 6 pm tomorrow since all of us work and most of us have already had to miss a day this week.

Nobody in the building has heat or use of their ovens or clothes dryers. We are lucky, because we are the ONLY unit with an electric hot water heater, and thus the only unit with hot water. It is pretty cold in the condo--upper 50s upstairs and lower 50s downstairs. We have been making due with sweaters so far, but it is supposed to get colder this weekend. My mother is arriving on Saturday, I have 4 loads of laundry waiting to be done, and we have a refrigerator full of food we haven't been able to cook because we are limited to the microwave and toaster oven.

How much longer should we have to be held hostage to one unit and a less-than-competent management company? At what point does it become morally acceptable to break all the windows of the horrendous unit owner???

If you stuck with me this long, thanks!

ha98ed14
04-03-2009, 05:40 AM
OMG! That's rediculous! There's gotta be someone you can call, the city? Do you have a tenants' rights group? Google your city name and "Tenants' rights." You should seriously consider with holding rent or something until they fix this problem. The law says they MUST provide you with heat, and a week is plenty of time to get it done. I am so sorry you have to deal with this crap!

Octobermommy
04-03-2009, 09:31 AM
That is terrible. The management company should have the right to enter the guys home with or without his permission. Hope you guys are staying warm enough!

ThreeofUs
04-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Oh, gosh, that's AWFUL. I had this happen when I lived in Chicago, but I was (thank goodness!) childless and in a UC-owed apartment. At least they got space heaters to us asap.

Good luck and may the sociopath move out so this can't happen again.

Hallie_D
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
OMG! That's rediculous! There's gotta be someone you can call, the city? Do you have a tenants' rights group? Google your city name and "Tenants' rights." You should seriously consider with holding rent or something until they fix this problem. The law says they MUST provide you with heat, and a week is plenty of time to get it done. I am so sorry you have to deal with this crap!

Unfortunately, we are owners. It is a bad combination of incompetent managment and a malicious owner and, unfortunately, poor construction issues. We have not heard a peep from the management company today, despite repeated emails and calls.