PDA

View Full Version : 6 1/2 old wakes up when the garbage trucks come

MCsMom
04-03-2009, 12:01 PM
She is a pretty good night sleeper but lately, she has been waking when the garbage trucks come at 5 am on Tuesdays and Fridays.
She catnaps during the day after nursing.
DH suggested keeping her in our room those days (faces the rear, no truck sounds) but should I just grin 'n' bear it until she gets used to the sounds again?
She slept through the garbage trucks previously.

Melaine
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Have you ever tried a fan or sound machine to mask loud noises. It works like a charm for us.

MCsMom
04-03-2009, 01:18 PM
We have a ceiling fan that we turn on every night for air circulation.
Maybe it doesn't make enough noise?

Melaine
04-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't think the ceiling fan will do the trick. I would try a really small fan or even a sound machine that makes ocean noises or something. It really helps and we always travel with it too, which helps our girls adjust to new places. I like the fan better than a sound machine personally (I've had both) but the fan is really better at covering up noise. I would try to avoid moving your DC and work through it.

o_mom
04-03-2009, 02:19 PM
You can get sound machines for $20 at Bed Bath and Beyone ($16 with coupon) - Homedics brand. Ours is still going strong after 2+ years and works as well as the $$$ one from Brookstone that we got with DS1. You can also download a loopable audio file from www.simplynoise.com (http://www.simplynoise.com) - they have white, pink and brown noise. Many people also swear by the Marpac white noise machines, so take a look at those too. A fan would work, but I can't stand air blowing in the room, so I have never tried it with my kids (not to mention I don't want them playing with it during the day).

MCsMom
04-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks Melaine for the comment about not moving. That confirms what I was thinking about keeping her in the crib.
Thank you both about the suggestions for sound machines. When she was younger, we actually used downloaded rain sounds to help her sleep. I took it away when we had the humidifier going. Will start that tonight to get her used to it until Tuesday...

MCsMom
04-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Ladies, thank you for all the help.

DD slept through trucks last night with rain sounds.

Hope this lasts!