PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Bed/Crib/Naps question

Melaine
04-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Is there ANY remote possibility that moving from cribs to toddler beds will help my kids take better naps?
I guess it doesn't make sense that it would, but I am grasping at straws here.
I KNOW they still need the sleep (they are just at 2 and a half) and they are clearly tired but they are doing everything in the world except sleeping when I put them down for naps. Yelling, removing sheets, throwing sippy cups, singing, yelling more, throwing pacis, laughing hysterically, then yelling some more.
Any thoughts?

malphy
04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
did you try a crib tent? It will keep them and their toys contaained.

DD will throw everything out of the crib unless her tent is zipped closed. She will also not nap unless she is zipped in.

just a thought.

Melaine
04-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Hmmmm I didn't think about the crib tent. I figured since THEY were staying in that I didn't need them, but maybe it is still a good idea. They sure do love the throwing of stuff...

malphy
04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
DD was climbing at of crib at 1.5 so converted crib to toddler bed and it was a disaster. She would not sleep or nap and would sleep on the flor next to it after i lay down with her.

I turned it back into a crib and got a tent and it was a godsend. She hates if i forget to zip it closed and will not sleep unless she is zipped in.

It is worth trying. good luck1

egoldber
04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
When do they nap? Maybe they need a later, shorter nap.

But honestly 2.5 is not that young to give up the nap......

Melaine
04-03-2009, 03:28 PM
But honestly 2.5 is not that young to give up the nap......

NNOOOOOOOooooooooo I cannot accept this as reality. I just can't handle it...

They go down at different times usually between 1 and 2. I've tried adjusting and I just can't seem to figure out what works best....some days they will sleep for 2 and a half hours, some days they will play in there for 2 hours and I will finally give up and they will be SO grumpy.

egoldber
04-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Well, Amy hasn't really napped since she turned two, so that colors my persepctive. ;) I know there are lots of non-napping 2 year olds on the board.

Melaine
04-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Are you trying to kill me?

egoldber
04-03-2009, 03:34 PM
LOL! Can you believe I actually prefer it now that she doesn't nap. No planning my days around her nap schedule, she goes to bed for the night early, etc. There are upsides although the transition can be hard.

Melaine
04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Well, I know it's inevitable....but I'm just not sure I'll be able to cope....I know other kids who have dropped their naps but mine are so grumpy regardless. How do you get anything done when your kids are awake????

o_mom
04-03-2009, 03:43 PM
NNOOOOOOOooooooooo I cannot accept this as reality. I just can't handle it...

They go down at different times usually between 1 and 2. I've tried adjusting and I just can't seem to figure out what works best....some days they will sleep for 2 and a half hours, some days they will play in there for 2 hours and I will finally give up and they will be SO grumpy.

When DS1 was doing this, we went to an every other day nap schedule and that actaully worked pretty well. We did an earlier bedtime by 30-60 min on the non-nap days, but this schedule lasted a few months at least before he dropped down to just a couple times a week and then gave it up around age three (I think...it's kind of foggy, may have been closer to 3.5, but before DS3 was born).

DietCokeLover
04-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Well, I know it's inevitable....but I'm just not sure I'll be able to cope....I know other kids who have dropped their naps but mine are so grumpy regardless. How do you get anything done when your kids are awake????

You don't. I have one who sleeps for 3 hours, and one who sleeps for 45 mins. I get nothing done. Ever. sigh.