PDA

View Full Version : Did you see this? Ban the Breast Pump/Case Against BFing.

citymama
04-03-2009, 04:26 PM
OK, I'm one of the target moms they're trying to rile up here. I hated pumping but loved BFing and was in no way mindlessly coereced into doing it because of pressure from the media and other moms. Um, no. I appreciate the support and encouragement now available for nursing moms, which was *not* true in my mom's time. And while I did not enjoy one minute of pumping, I'm glad I had that option to allow me to continue to nurse and not be in agony when away from my baby.

I agree that no one should feel pressured into BFing if it isn't right for them. And that formula-fed babies are just as healthy and happy as BFed ones. But the Atlantic author sounds like she is trying hard to pick a fight!

What do others think of the Atlantic piece, and this NYT blog?

Judith Warner: "Ban the Breast Pump" NYTimes, April 2, 2009
http://warner.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/why-i-dumped-the-pump/

Hanna Rosin: "The Case Against Breast-Feeding" Atlantic Monthly, April 2009
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200904/case-against-breastfeeding

brittone2
04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
It caused a bit of a stir here a while back (go figure ;) ) (eta I should specify the Atlantic piece, I haven't read the NYT piece yet)

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=318373

Some of the media/morning show takes on this were really terrible. Blech.

citymama
04-03-2009, 04:33 PM
I knew I was late to the party! Just back after a long trip - thanks for the link!

brittone2
04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
No worries. I hadn't seen the NYT piece until you posted it.

I hope you had a good trip...glad to see you back :)

citymama
04-03-2009, 04:48 PM
I read the thread you linked to Beth - excellent discussion. I really liked one of the postings in response to the NT blog, from a poster named elizabeth fuller - here is an excerpt if anyone's interested:

"I have to ask why in heaven’s name we are fighting over any of this. I thought that one of the major tenets of feminism was to move away from stereotypes and to recognize that one size does not fit all. My comment on last week’s column had something to do with happiness being related to feeling deep down that something is right. No report on a social trend is going to tell you what feels right for you. I breast fed for about a year and a half because it felt right for me, not because I was worried about IQ points. I had a friend who unfortunately felt very guilty because she wasn’t able to breast feed. Both our children were loved, and both grew up to be fine, successful young people.

Why do we need to see the end of breast pumps? They’re very useful for some people–especially for those couples (and their children) who prefer breast milk , but also like the idea of both parents being able to feed their infant. I would imagine that at least some of the women who object to them feel that way because they resent not being able to enjoy the relative ease of feeding their children at home, without all the stress of juggling motherhood and a career. It can’t be easy. Let’s not make any of this harder by judging choices that are different from ours. Wasn’t solidarity supposed to be part of feminism as well?"

3blackcats
04-04-2009, 09:30 AM
IMO, it would be more worth while for these authors to put more effort into promoting the importance of maternity leave for women instead of judging how mothers feed their children. Here's a crazy idea - if the American pediatric Assoc. promotes breastfeeding for at least 6 months, give a mother 6 months leave to be able to do this.

My favourite response in the comments was by emv: "People will always judge you for you parenting style. You’re too indulgent. You’re too harsh. If a mother doesn’t want to breastfeed, then don’t. If a mother wants to breastfeed do. There are plenty of things that you’ll do along the way that will mess us your kids much more than giving your baby a bottle."

wellyes
04-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I really chafe at these articles. I mean, basically they are saying pumping moms are both pompous / judgmental and in addition they're suckers for believing the LLL hype. (Insert eyeroll here).

But I do try to see both sides. Mothers get so defensive about formula-feeding. I remember one of the responses to Warner's piece was from an adoptive mom who thanked her for saying formula is OK and saying how very tired she was of the "Breast is best" rhetoric. Well, breast *is* best, but the fact that the breastfeeding movement really alienated her, and women like her, is a failing. ( And yes, I know that some adoptive moms are able to medically induce lactation and that's great -- but that is certainly not something I think anyone should feel at all obligated to do).

So certainly there is room for improvement for the pro-breastfeeding groups and for mom dialogues in general.

But I think it's really cheap that Warner did it this way. She's playing "Voice of Reason" in such an inflammatory way.

KBecks
04-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Pumping isn't fun. But pumps help a lot of families.

I find the whole discussion pointless --- who cares!

maestramommy
04-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Hmmm, Dh told me about this Op ed. last night. I actually read Warner's book, the one cited on the right side of the page. I thought it was pretty good. But she doesn't really add much to this dialogue, does she?