PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Bridesmaid dress for new (hopefully) nursing mama?

wallawala
04-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Help! I'm in a formal evening wedding 6 weeks after delivery and am planning to breastfeed. The bride's only request is that we choose a dress in dark navy satin (she gave us a swatch to match), but all the bridesmaids can choose their own style of dress completely. The wedding is mid-August in Michigan. This is baby #1 for me, and have no idea how much my body will change... so a bit nervous to start shopping now.

I'm guesssing there's a good chance I'll need to have one made, or at least have a good seamstress ready for alterations as we go, but would love recommendations on places to shop for dresses or patterns for formal wear that works for nursing. I'm sure there's a few of you who've been in my shoes, I just haven't seen any recent threads on it.

twowhat?
04-04-2009, 04:32 AM
If you have a private place to nurse while you are in your dress, I wouldn't worry about an actual "nursing dress"...just disrobe when you nurse. Especially since at 6 weeks post-partum you are likely to have a baby urp on you during/after nursing and you would probably get urp on the dress. It's not worth the extra expense to get a specially made dress that you can nurse in, in my opinion. The bride's dressing room would be a perfect place to nurse.

I'd say your biggest challenge is simply finding a dress that will fit your rib cage/boobs (as both expand during pregnancy and the boobs expand even more if you are nursing), and your belly (which won't be back down to completely normal and if it is, I hate you) at 6 weeks post-partum.

For the belly, I'd suggest finding a baby-doll style dress with a empire waist and gathers beneath the empire seaming to hide any belly. Then you just need to find a dress that fits the boobs/rib cage. So you will probably have to shop after having the baby. Or, find a good seamstress who can make the dress in a few weeks after baby is born. If you can manage to find a good seamstress, you might be able to find a fabric in a stretch navy satin.

Wow. Good luck with this!

BeachBum
04-04-2009, 07:14 AM
I'd get a halter or two piece "dress". That way you don't have to take the whole thing off.

stinkyfeet
04-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't know if this will help, but I got the Belly Bandit and wear it all of the time...at 2.5 weeks post-partum, I almost have my waist back to normal!!! :yay:

My bra size ended up being the same size as before I delivered..if that helps you figure out your size.

You can also pick out your BM dress and get multiple fittings for it as the wedding date approaches. Also, get some Spanx for your BM dress and wear it for your fittings.

If you are planning to BF, I think that they recommend that you start giving a bottle 4 weeks post-partum, so that you are able to do things like be super-supportive of a friend for her wedding. You may be able to pump and save a few bottles of BM and let your hubby feed and burp the baby during the ceremony and reception so you don't have to worry about spills. This way, you can be a great BM and still give your baby your milk. :)

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
04-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I was in my SIL's wedding 10-days post partum, and nursing as well. I ended up purchasing a two-piece dress. The top was a cowl-neck sleeveless style (so "thick" straps to hide ugly nursing bra), and elastic waist skirt. To nurse, I just pulled up the top. Since the cowl neck is bias-cut, it had that built in "stretch".

HTH,
Jennifer

hellokitty
04-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Subbing, I'm in the same exact situation, going to be MOH when I am approx 4-6 wks postpartum. I haven't talked to the bride yet though about what kind of dress she is ok with. I'm interested to hear more about the belly binding, b/c I've heard it mentioned before, but more from a therapeutic POV, rather than aesthetic reasons.

stinkyfeet
04-05-2009, 01:33 PM
The Belly Bandit helped support my lower back when it felt weak post-partum. I had a vaginal delivery. I read that support bands especially help with back support for people who had c-sections.

hellokitty
04-05-2009, 04:14 PM
The Belly Bandit helped support my lower back when it felt weak post-partum. I had a vaginal delivery. I read that support bands especially help with back support for people who had c-sections.

Do you mind if I ask you which belly bandit you got? They have the basic, coutoure and bamboo. I'm leaning toward the bamboo, b/c it is supposed to wick... Does it roll when you sit down? I have worn things like this before, BUT they always seem to roll when I sit down and it drives me nuts. It won't show throw a gown then?

katydid1971
04-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Try a strapless style. If you bring s shawl you can nurse DC under the shawl just pulling down the front of the dress. I did this when nursing DS at a wedding a few years ago. I personally hate nursing in a bathrooms. Uncomfortable and stinky.

stinkyfeet
04-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I got the Bamboo one--I chose that one because if I am supposed to wear something almost 24/7, I want it to be super-comfortable. The bamboo one is really soft. I find that I am able to sleep comfortably in it, but I do find myself occasionally taking it off in the middle of the night to allow my skin to "breathe" better.

When I got home from the hospital, I was barely able to allow the two velcro pieces of the size Small Belly Bandit to connect. At almost 3 weeks post-partum, I am finding that I need to go down to an extra small. Currently, my tummy is almost flat with a little pooch, so I guess I still have a few more inches to go. I currently have no muscle tone in my abs whatsoever--gotta wait for the OB to give me a green light on excerise first!

I am petite--5'0''. The belly bandit does not ride up on me. I wore the Medela Maternity support belt late in my pregnancy for back support, and I find this to be much more comfortable (I found that the maternity belt often rolled up as you described) . It is not completely invisible under clothes, but it doesn't matter much because I am still stuck at home anyway.

I purchased mine at onehotmama online since the shipping is cheaper than the belly bandit website--it arrived very quickly. Because I bought it online, I was not able to compare the different models.

Do I think that it is overpriced--YES. But it is worth it to me to feel a little better about myself while getting great back/ab support at the same time (I found myself hunched over like an old lady when I got home from the hospital).

HTH!:waving4:

stinkyfeet
04-07-2009, 12:55 PM
One more thing--I would probably get a pair of Spanx to wear with the gown--they are great!!!

lowrioh
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm my sisters MOH for her Aug wedding and I ended up getting a jersey knit dress from Nordstroms.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2981524?tuid=000006cb-006f-0861-6c61-726765727669&id=9140762&largeImg=0&tname=product
I got it when I was about 3 months PP and because it stretches it still fits great even though my chest has gotten smaller. I liked that it had wider straps and you can wear a regular bra with it. Because of the way it is cut it hides a lot of tummy issues.
Alfred Angelo also has a jersey knit line.
http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/displayCollection.aspx?CategoryId=b7a59a7c-2934-461a-9e5f-8478ce891ddf

craezie
04-13-2009, 03:48 PM
For sure, you need two piece. That way you can just unzip the size and lift up the top to nurse. Also, it will make last minute alterations WAY easier if your top or waist/ hips end up being a slightly different size than you expect. Also, get a stretch satin if you can find it.

BTW I personally would AVOID strapless or skinny strapped tops while nursing. Depending on whether your breasts are large, you will be most comfortable in a regular bra. You might need to insert pads to prevent leaking too. You can either go with something with wide enough straps to cover (have your tailor sew a little satin ribbon with snap on each to keep your bra strap from slipping) or do a halter and bra with halter strap.

hellokitty
04-13-2009, 04:19 PM
BTW I personally would AVOID strapless or skinny strapped tops while nursing. Depending on whether your breasts are large, you will be most comfortable in a regular bra. You might need to insert pads to prevent leaking too. You can either go with something with wide enough straps to cover (have your tailor sew a little satin ribbon with snap on each to keep your bra strap from slipping) or do a halter and bra with halter strap.

That's what I was thinking too. I am larger busted and freaking out that if I can't wear a nursing bra underneath... I am not sure WHAT I am going to do. Ironically, my mil is a seamstress, but she refused to do the alterations for my bridal gown and my bridesmaid gowns. She would be perfect to help out with last minute alterations this time around when I will be a MOH... but I just can't count on her to come through for me. Last time the idiot friend she recommended to me to do alterations totally screwed up on my bridal gown alterations AND charged me an arm and a leg. Her excuse now is that she got rid of her sewing machine, so the only one she has access to is at work. BUT, she still does alterations for my DH and his brother...

squimp
04-14-2009, 10:23 AM
I'd avoid strapless. I was my sister's bridesmaid a few months after DD was born, and the strapless was just not a good look for me! I just felt too exposed, and I was worried DD was going to accidentally pull the top down. I nursed in the dressing room - I brought a light blanket so I didn't feel exposed sitting there nekkid on top.

wallawala
04-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Wow! Love this board! Thanks for all the tips. The alfred angelo looks like a great possibility (they even have a maternity BM dress FYI). I'm going to request one of thier swatch cards to see if I can match the fabric.